Keto straight talk

124»

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Great reminder!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    I stopped reading after about paragraph 6 because every paragraph was the same "I AM NOT TALKING TO THE PEOPLE FOR WHOM A KETOGENIC DIET MAKES YOU FEEL GREAT BUT TO THOSE WHO DO NOT FEEL WELL ON A KETOGENIC DIET"....ok get to your point. I feel great on keto and have no health issues and have always been in a normal BMI range. I'm not doing keto for therapeutic medical reasons or for considerable weight loss but because I generally agree with the idea of eating whole food sources, restricting processed foods, minimizing carb intake and insulin and BG levels. I know that the article is not for me but I wanted to keep reading it. But after 6 paragraphs of saying the same thing I had to abandon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I stopped reading after about paragraph 6 because every paragraph was the same "I AM NOT TALKING TO THE PEOPLE FOR WHOM A KETOGENIC DIET MAKES YOU FEEL GREAT BUT TO THOSE WHO DO NOT FEEL WELL ON A KETOGENIC DIET"....ok get to your point. I feel great on keto and have no health issues and have always been in a normal BMI range. I'm not doing keto for therapeutic medical reasons or for considerable weight loss but because I generally agree with the idea of eating whole food sources, restricting processed foods, minimizing carb intake and insulin and BG levels. I know that the article is not for me but I wanted to keep reading it. But after 6 paragraphs of saying the same thing I had to abandon.

She said that because she knew she'd get backlash from people that follow the medically therapeutic version of keto for absolutely no medical reason what so ever because they think it doesn't work otherwise.
    So, that was the gist of it. Trying to convince people that are basically eating incredibly little protein and guzzling fat because they think it must be done that way regardless if they are feeling bad or not.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    solska wrote: »
    I didn't find this article super productive but it made me feel comfortable about dropping the fats in coffee earlier in the day some days. I eat nuts and cheese a little later. I do get hungry earlier now, but it may not be a terrible thing.
    The best thing that happened was through the thread links somehow ending up reading Dr. Fung's notes on protein intake. Wish I knew what he wrote sooner.

I don't immediately find deliberately catabolizing LBM a good thing, but at least Dr Fung did most of his studies with "normal" bodies of today unlike a previous study done with the super lean, 70's body, woodstock attendees. Well of course those folks lost LBM at alarming rates because they had nothing else to give up for energy. Fung's research makes more sense when considering fat adaption and having excess body fat to offer up as fuel offering a sparring affect for LBM.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I think it's good to note that context matters. When I'm not running or running very little, strict keto is great, but I prefer low carb when I am training. And yeah, GU for runs >7miles. But speed matters to me.

As a "smaller" person, I must say I find keto easiest to stick to when I do eat *a lot* of fat. But I also find that once I sneak a little carbs in, it's hard not to add more and more and more.
  • nscal
    nscal Posts: 72 Member
    Amy is great! Love her posts! She has helped me figure out so much!
  • forCole
    forCole Posts: 29 Member
    I'm still new to Keto. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! An excellent read. *bookmarked*
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Gonna admit, I JUST read this. I've never pretended to know much or anything about ketogenic diets, but BOY was this a good read.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    This is such a great article and I needed to read it again.

I struggled hard with keto. I couldn't drink enough salt water, I couldn't stay on track and ended up basically throwing in the towel. I even stayed away from here, my dear forum, because I felt that I didn't belong. Everyone so happy and rolling on down the keto highway, and I'm over here sucking on rock salt, being the most hostile, anxiety stricken *kitten* that walked the Earth.

Keto doesn't work for me. No, I don't need to lower my carbs. Nope, didn't need more salt, fat, magnesium. It exacerbated my anxiety. I couldn't sleep.

I held on for six months and yes I was fat adapted. But I STILL NEVER FELT GOOD.

So, recently I've (and a dear friend) come up with a plan that works for me.

100 grams.

Still LC. Only there's plenty of room for fruit and some grain. And you know what? I feel like a million bucks.

Keto is not magic and it doesn't work for everyone.

Thank you, @Sunny_Bunny you da bomb.

Awwww thanks!
    I'm so glad you've found your sweet spot ;). !

I just think this article is just about the best thing for anyone to read that's even considering keto.
    Keto did work for me with no problems but lots of things work for lots of people and it doesn't make sense to keep trying anything if it's not working for you and especially if you don't feel well!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Re-bump