January 2017 Running Challenge

1838485868789»

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Forgot to post my monthly challenge goal. After failing to meet my goal 2 months in a row, I am staying with the 50 mile goal for this month and at least one in outside per week.

1/1......rest day Happy New Year!
    1/2......6 miles...pace 12:30.
    1/3.....work
    1/4.....Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Classical stretch
    1/5......3.72 miles on treadmill @ 12:14 pace, average heart rate at 88% max.
    1/9.....3.87 miles on treadmill at 11:45 pace, average max heart rate st 85%.
    1/20.....3 miles...pace 11:30, av max heart rate at 89%
    1/24....4.32 miles....pace 11:45 at max heart rate at 88%. Spinning class
    1/30....3.74 miles....pace 12:14 at max heart rate of 87%.rolling hills. Felt like vomiting afterward.
    1/31....3.44 miles...pace 11:45 at max heart rate of 87%, focused on breathing.

Strength trained the last 2 days and tried a boot camp conditioning class. Was able to run outside twice this month.

Total...28.11
    Goal...50 miles

Didn't meet goal but did better than usual during a typical January. Fought a cold this month, malaise, and gym being pretty crowded.

• zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member

exercise.png

a final post to close out Jan, finished of fairly happy :)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2017
    January Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Ran: 30.6 km/50 km

31/1/17 walk 10 km Easy day no run.
    30/1/17 5 km
    29/1/17 5.2 km
    28/1/17 2 km
    12/1/17 4 km
    11/1/17 6.4 km
    5/1/17 5 km
    3/1/17 3 km

Consolation is that at least I could run 30 km this month. Better than no run. Seems like I am able to move from just walking to running. In February my goal would be being more regular.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Finished January with a late treadmill run because I worked late and it was well after dark by then:

exercise.png

January was 35 miles, I got to 39.8 miles. Ticker is screwed up from when I made February's ticker, it apparently over-wrote Jan. Ugh... I seem to be the only person that has problems with these tickers. I'm actually better than average with computers for most everything, but these tickers just seem to give me trouble.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    Well done, everyone!!!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow walk 3 km

Hoping to achieve the target this month.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody who weighed in on my question about running with a group or alone. It's nice to hear everyone's perspectives on the topic. I echo what a lot of you said about running alone for "me time" or to focus on speed work/tempo runs specific to your training plan. Also, I value being able to plan my runs when it fits best into my schedule, especially finding the best time to do long runs on the weekends. There's a meetup group as well as a group from a nearby running store that both do informal pub runs one evening a week, so I may start out by trying one of those to see how I like running with a group. It would also be nice to try out a long run with a group at some point to help myself keep a consistent pace (something I'm really bad at without constantly looking at my watch). I ran a half marathon with my step-sister last year, who is about the same pace that I am, and I enjoyed running with her more than I thought I would because she really helped me to keep a consistent and manageable pace throughout most of the race.

@OSUbuckeye906 - As I read this, I have to ask what the definition of "running alone" is. I run a lot of long runs in a pace group which is definitely not alone. Most of my speed work is done with the club, where I have a coach and teammates present; but different people have different workouts, and my paces are not the same as anyone else's, so mostly I'm running the speed workout by myself, but on the same track with other people running the same or different workouts at their proper paces. Is that running alone?

From my introverted perspective, this is close enough to group activity to give me a motivational nudge, i.e. I will actually *do* the speed work. I joined the club originally because I noticed I wasn't getting the speed work done on my own, and I hoped the group would provide enough peer pressure to get me to do it. It worked.

I do see clumps of club runners doing workouts together. I know they can't all have the same precise paces, so some of them must be running a bit too fast or a bit too slow for where their paces should be. I have occasionally been joined in my intervals by another guy whose proper paces should be a bit slower than mine; but he's usually willing to work his *kitten* off running faster than the workout calls for.

This is exactly the reason why I end up running alone. Either I am running too fast to try and keep up with people who are either slightly faster than me or starting out way too fast, which I end up just letting them go. And there are not many in our group that are able to do that. Mostly everyone else ends up behind me and go way too slow for me.

it's not so bad if it was a track workout and you can actually see everyone. But when you are trying to run a route along the streets in the early morning hours like my group does, then it's like, why did I get up super early to run with these people when I am not even running with them and no longer see them.

But it is nice to see some faces gathering together before we all leave together, even if we don't stay together. Plus there is the social aspect of it after we all get done. But then again, by the time I get done, everyone else already had their coffee already. So I end up scratching that. I run 10 miles, most everyone else runs 4-6 miles. Whatever route they come up with, I end up modifying it and stretching it out further. I like the people in my group, just very hard to make the commitment to want to get up super early to run with them. I have been thinking about finding other groups and rearranging my schedule. But I am in the middle of training now and don't want to mess with the good formula I have down, even if it means running alone.

A good buddy who is an awesome training partner for me but I haven't seen him in a few weeks said he is going to be at our group run tomorrow morning, which is encouraging for me.