Do I really have to eat 1400 calorie forever?

13»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited January 2019
    I only make several trips to the bathroom per day. I am sedentiary. You aren't.

Eta: I'm 5'7 and 140lbs and maintain on 1550 as a result of my lifestyle. This sucks.
  • Anita4548
    Anita4548 Posts: 39 Member
    The short answer to your question is: Yes, you are off with your calculation.

The 1400 calories you mentioned is the "bottom line" needed to keep your body functioning + maintaining a sedentary lifestyle output such as desk work, eating meals, etc.

In addition to those 1400 calories, you can eat whatever you burn EXTRA. This includes the calories you burn while walking your 10,000+ steps, or gym training.

The more extra activities you add to your day, the more extra calorie allowances you get to eat that day.

I recommend to use an activity tracker (what I use is Fitbit Versa) to know your correct daily calorie output.

Pair it with MFP's monitoring of your daily calorie input and MFP's real-time feedback on how much you can still eat for the day, you should be able to eat your way slim in a fulfilling way (as I am experiencing).
    • How accurate are these activity trackers? Also how about the cheaper ones - do you think they are just as accurate? Do they work out your calories burned just by looking/measuring your heart rate? TIA :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    m4rtys wrote: »
    I have a question regarding the daily calories..... i am trying to lose fat whilst attempting to maintain weight and add muscle. My BMR calculated by the fancy machine at the gym is roughly 1800 and MFP has set me 1500 calories a day.

My question is do i try to stick to the 1500 calories a day (Gross), or as long as the adjusted calories (Net) are below the 1500 I should be hitting the goal?

I am active throughout the week - gym (weights), Spin and walking, so some days MFP adds 1000 calories plus to my total. I am using my Garmin watch to record all activities which is linked to MFP so should be accurate.

If you are not trying to lose weight, you should be eating all the calories you burn. Which means your BMR (this is what you would burn in a coma), daily activity and exercise. Given what you posted, no way is 1500 correct.

Did you put a weight loss goal in MFP when doing your setup? Something isn't making sense here.

And watches like Garmin are not very good at estimating calories for anything except steady state cardio. I cut the calories given pretty much in half for anything except running.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Unfortunately, I too am sedentary - desk job. Not sure how many steps, but I only lose weight when I eat 1050-1200 calories. I do household work, I do some gardening, I do work out in the pool 3 times a week. Once I'm over that calorie level, I'm in maintenance mode. I am however 5'6 and 46 years old. Age has a lot to do with it as well. I was saddened with the realization that my maintenance will likely be 1400-1500 (at least at this weight it would be, I still have more to lose). Also are your steps really full steps, or just other movement. I saw a lady moving around to get her steps, but it wasn't exactly a brisk walk.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Anita4548 wrote: »
    The short answer to your question is: Yes, you are off with your calculation.

The 1400 calories you mentioned is the "bottom line" needed to keep your body functioning + maintaining a sedentary lifestyle output such as desk work, eating meals, etc.

In addition to those 1400 calories, you can eat whatever you burn EXTRA. This includes the calories you burn while walking your 10,000+ steps, or gym training.

The more extra activities you add to your day, the more extra calorie allowances you get to eat that day.

I recommend to use an activity tracker (what I use is Fitbit Versa) to know your correct daily calorie output.

Pair it with MFP's monitoring of your daily calorie input and MFP's real-time feedback on how much you can still eat for the day, you should be able to eat your way slim in a fulfilling way (as I am experiencing).
    • How accurate are these activity trackers? Also how about the cheaper ones - do you think they are just as accurate? Do they work out your calories burned just by looking/measuring your heart rate? TIA :)

HR is actually only a decent estimate for calories for aerobic steady-state exercise, same HR for 2-4 min.
    So no intervals, no lifting, no anaerobic, ect.
    And even that decent estimate has known limitations because HR will change due to several factors that have nothing to do with your level of effort and calorie burn during aerobic exercise. (dehydrated, tired, caffeine, stressed, genetics, ect)

Steps giving a distance, and pretty accurate formula for distance and pace and weight leads to pretty decent estimate for daily calories outside of exercise.
    If the steps are seen accurately, and the impact leading to a distance calculation. (like a wrist unit gripping a cart handle)

It can be good for average user - obviously a smallish error in those base calc's turns big if you do a lot of steps.

Or if you do few steps outside exercise but a lot of exercise - and it's got bad estimate for exercise calories.

Some things best manually logged - like lifting, even walking/running a known distance for time. Otherwise knowing the limits for workouts.

The cheaper units aren't using the propriety formulas for trying to determine that point where daily activity stops and exercise starts in order to start using HR-based calorie burn.
    And getting resting HR stat's can improve that too for nicer formula's if used.

It's how some cheap treadmills may not ask your weight but provide a calorie burn based on who knows what weight.
    Really nice ones ask weight, and watch the incline and do the math with pace.
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    Me too
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    @staticsplit explain what the 5:2 is. is it completely not eating for 5 or 2 days then eating regular for the other portion? I thought I knew IF. I do the Lean Gains....16:8
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2019
    heybales wrote: »
    Eat at normal maintenance 5 days - 2 days during the week eat at 1/4 that amount.
    Time it well with workouts and life and you can have no impact.

For those not needing to diet - it means they eat a tad more on the 5 days to balance out.

The Woo's to those comments is because these eating methods don't lead to eating disorders automatically as suggested. Many many find them to be beneficial, and there are health benefits found in the 5:2 study besides weight loss.

In fact in the studies they did not log food on the 5 days, they only had to prepare for the 2 days well.
    There were no purge/binge cycles going on.

Then again studies rarely allow in people with medical history of eating disorders.

Then again someone with eating disorder could easily find attempting to take a reasonable deficit for a diet to be too much and slip into bad habits.

I'm not saying they automatically lead to eating disorders (I said in the post some can be healthy that way), but they easily can (as in my case). I'll admit I could have phrased that better but I was having a particularly tough day food-wise so was more sensitive to that type of comment than I'd usually be.

500 calories in a day is very low and can be considered purging via fasting. A lot depends on your mindset as eating disorders are mental health issues more than physical, though obviously there are physical side effects. I still think it's dangerous to suggest as a matter of course compared to a mild deficit, as it can contribute to an all or nothing mentality common in bulimics.