How did you prevent loose skin?, weight loss of 100lb

2»

Replies

• getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    I think a lot of it is genetic.

I am 29 years old (30 at the end of this month). I have never been hugely overweight, but during my 20's fluctuated between a low of 135lbs and a high of 182lbs. I have a little loose skin on my arms, but not enough to justify surgery there. My worst area is my outer thighs/butt. I have decided to get a "reverse abdominoplasty" (aka a butt lift) at the end of October. Strangely, my tummy isn't too bad.

I've had three surgery consults and they've all said the reason my skin is lax is genetics, pure and simple.

It is what it is - I would rather be thin with loose skin and scars than overweight and lumpy any day!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I am a nutritionist in Washington State. I find most people in this country are utterly misinformed about health. I suggest anyone who is interested in REAL HEALTH read this article. Toxic overload, lack of micronutrients and heightened emotional stress are the cause of inflammation and oxidative stress. These are the two prime components to all disease, including obesity, thyroid malfunction, and aging. You can count calories for the rest of your life, or you can repair your body naturally.

http://www.truearthskincare.com/truearth-news/reverse-aging-naturally/
    Well, opinions from "naturalist" sites usually don't hold up well to scientific scrutiny. As soon as I saw "alkaline water", I knew it was pseudoscience. Probably need to learn a lot more about nutrition if you actually believe that stuff makes a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    According to some internet articles, it really depends on "how long" you were at a big size, that will determine how much loose skin you'll have after you lose the weight.

Regardless loose skin is covered with clothes, but you sure as heck can't cover up a 100 pounds if extra weight. So don't let the worry of loose skin put a damper on your life style change.
  • My doc said loose skin is going to be an issue no matter how slowly you lose the weight, and age & genetics plays a big part. Having some excess skin is better than type 2 diabetes and all the other death consequences for obesity and there's always plastic surgery.
  • hacobz
    hacobz Posts: 1
    Hiya, I have just lost almost 100 pounds, and I have some excess loose skin, but it is not as bad as you may think, and it can take up to a year for your skin to adjust to your new body weight - so I was told!
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 150 Member

*Drink enough water, 1.5-2L a day.
    *Lose weight slowly, 1-2lbs a week.
    *Moisturise, 2 times a day.
    *Body brushing, 3-4 times a week.
    *Build muscle/lift weights, 3 x week/30min workouts - Any advice on how to do this to limit loose skin, but not look muscley/become bulky would be great thanks.
    *Take Omega 3/fish oil supplements.
    *Eat enough protein for your lean body mass.

All of these are great. I HIGHLY recommend drinking plenty of water. But honestly all are good, so why not do them all. Don't overwhelm yourself. You don't have to do all of them at once, I didn't. Changing too much at once can be daunting.
    But water transports the nutrients in your body all over. Good for the brain, muscles, ligaments, organs (skin), etc..

Everyone is a bit different but for me even in doing all this I have days of self evaluation that I feel like "maybe" all my efforts are not giving the results. And then there are days I get people that don't see me on a daily basis and they tell me I'm looking better and younger. That's good, but as others have said, the healthy side of this is the major plus. This list you have for taking care of your skin, is really a good list to go by for the whole package. You deserve to take care of yourself, so demand the best for yourself.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Lose slow. Have patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Mostly this......but I do dry brushing, moisturize, drink water, weight lifting and protein, etc. I believe it has helped, will it make it totally disappear, probably not, but I am always hopeful, LOL.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!