Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Groups Weekly Weigh In Group
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Exercise Tips & Strategies

tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
Share your exercise tips and strategies here..........

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was really struggling to motivate myself to the gym, particularly in the Winter and when I did go it was so busy I could barely get to use anything. I have now after 18 months cancelled my gym membership because it's just a waste of money for me.

I invested in a dumbell/barbell set, some kettlebells and a couple of mats, I think in total it was under 100 euros and started looking on Youtube for some inspiration for beginners strength training, I happened upon the HASFIT channel and it's been a lifesaver, they have hundreds of free personal training videos, starting from absolute beginners, up to more advanced stuff, they have a range of weight loss plans on their website too, although I haven't used them I have read a lot of good feedback on them.

So at the moment I am doing a few of their strength and cardio workouts 5 days a week and their 15 min stretching workout daily, and the change in a few weeks has been awesome, I am far more flexible (I couldn't even do a quad stretch when I started) and I can feel that although I haven't lost a lot of weight yet I am toning up and can feel my clothes are starting to fit better/looser.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
    Just bumping this up - would love to know what everyone else is doing :smile:
  • linda212121linda212121 Member Posts: 148 Member Member Posts: 148 Member
    Thank you I'm going to look into this
  • perryvashtiperryvashti Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    Right now I am walking and jogging at the park 6 days a week for 60 minutes and doing 20 minutes of planks, crunches, squats, and sit-ups. I dont like the gym. I used to go a lot as a teenager.
  • ShellanfitShellanfit Member Posts: 384 Member Member Posts: 384 Member
    I am swimming, running and doing body weight exercises.
  • jcraig10jcraig10 Member Posts: 476 Member Member Posts: 476 Member
    I love Coach K with HASFit - have been using his videos for about 5 years. He is motivating without getting on my nerves. I can't stand most women trainers
  • UltimateTrashBaeUltimateTrashBae Member Posts: 181 Member Member Posts: 181 Member
    I follow fitness blender on YouTube. They have a BUNCH of full length workout videos. I do them a couple times a week. Monday and Wednesday, I am at my college campus and use the gym there since it's free. I usually just treadmill it up for a mile. I also just started taking workout classes at my local bounce house! Trampoline exercises are so much fun!
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
    Anyone used C25K app?
  • ElsiebeaneElsiebeane Member Posts: 97 Member Member Posts: 97 Member
    I joined planet fitness. I am slowly adding cardio and strength training.
  • TeraMBTeraMB Member Posts: 27 Member Member Posts: 27 Member
    Had anyone tried the 21 day fix?
    TeraMB wrote: »
    Had anyone tried the 21 day fix?

Not personally but if you have a search on the forums there are a few threads on it http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10373018/21-day-results

I couldn't justify spending money on a workout program when I can get great ones for free.
  • TeraMBTeraMB Member Posts: 27 Member Member Posts: 27 Member
    Do you have free ones you would reccommmend?
    TeraMB wrote: »
    Do you have free ones you would reccommmend?

I like HASFIT.com they have a Youtube channel or you can go through their website - they have calendar workout plans for different intensities. For Pilates I like The Live Fit Girl and abiandjoseph and for HIIT I like Thebodycoachtv. Fitnessblender is also mentioned a lot on the boards, not sure if it's free though.
    If anyone is interested in doing C25K, a few of us are discussing our progress with it here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120724-c25k-couch-to-5km-2017-app-users
  • phickman07phickman07 Member Posts: 34 Member Member Posts: 34 Member
    For me to keep up exercising, I have to do something I really like. I go to line dancing classes 2 or 3 times a week, Zumba classes 2 times a week and also an exercise program at the senior center where they play a video and several of us do the exercises together for 90 minutes. The first 30 minutes is a walking video and the last 60 minutes we have an instructor. Great way to meet people and make friends while exercising and having fun. Most of the classes are free, a few have a tip jar.
  • MegansMom2011MegansMom2011 Member Posts: 340 Member Member Posts: 340 Member
    When should I start lifting weights? I've read in other posts to start when you've reached your halfway point in weight loss, but wanted your opinions.
    @MegansMom2011 I have never seen anything suggesting waiting until you're halfway, unless you're morbidly obese and have issues moving in general. As long as you have no medical issues that could be impeded by lifting, you can start at anytime. I started lifting in December at the beginning of my weight loss. The sooner the better in my opinion, it helps to preserve muscle mass. If you do have any medical issues, check with your doc first.
    edited July 2017
  • tasnimen81tasnimen81 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    Nia Shanks (www.niashanks.com) has a free lifting routine for beginners, very possible to do at home even with minimal equipment. That's how I got started. :)
    I used to do lifting but lost all motivation (I also didn't have any form of discipline or healthy eating habits) and gained all the weight back and lost my strength. Going to get back at it now, starting all over again from scratch as a beginner, but that's ok.
    I would recommend to anyone to find what you love doing and whatever you end up doing as a fitness routine, it shouldn't take over your life.. It's easy to end up doing too much.
    When I start again I'm going to keep it at 2x a week and do short cardio videos (love the walking ones from Jessica Smith) on the other days IF I really feel like doing so.
  • MegansMom2011MegansMom2011 Member Posts: 340 Member Member Posts: 340 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions @tinkerbellang83 and @tasnimen81. I'll stared lifting now! Wish I'd asked that question months ago, lol. Oh well, better late than never!
    Thanks for the suggestions @tinkerbellang83 and @tasnimen81. I'll stared lifting now! Wish I'd asked that question months ago, lol. Oh well, better late than never!

Certainly is better late than never, as always I highly recommend HASFIT too, they cover all kinds of strength training not just weights :smile:
  • nexangelusnexangelus Member Posts: 2,078 Member Member Posts: 2,078 Member
    I walk, cycle and lift heaving things in the gym (five compound lifts with barbell). I also accessorize with push ups and assisted pull ups (although the new gym I am going to I have to make do with heavy lat pull downs, and working on the concentric/descent part of my pull up, as cannot do one yet at this body weight) I have been using the stronglifts 5 x 5 programme to get back into lifting and hopefully will complete first cycle come August. From there I need to look at building strength and then muscle size so I can go big. Of course building muscle and being in a deficit do not go together, so I might have to compromise on my end goal for now and stick to the interim goal of 168 ish and see how I feel then. I have tried running again, but heel bursitis held up lower body training and running again for about 3 weeks. I prefer to keep it simple with the major compound lifts as do not like to spend too long in the gym.
    edited July 2017