Increasing calcium without increasing sodium.

2»

Replies

• 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2017
    Have a good read of this (which is linked in previous folk's replies), all the way to the end of the article! THIS, to me makes way more sense than purely looking for a shopping list of very specific foods. http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/how-to-eat-a-low-oxalate-diet/
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited January 2017
    5n00py wrote: »
    Have a good read of this (which is linked in previous folk's replies), all the way to the end of the article! THIS, to me makes way more sense than purely looking for a shopping list of very specific foods. http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/how-to-eat-a-low-oxalate-diet/

I've already mentioned that I've been working off that website and lists my doctor gave me.

But yeah, the diet is limited, it has been for years, but the stones came back and after blood and urine tests this is what we're going with, then testing again in a few months. It's a nephrologist, not a urologist. I drink plenty of water but also am working on trying to drink 3 liters a day, up from two.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    5n00py wrote: »
    Wow, what a nightmare! I've had kidney stones twice in my life (and it seems if you have them once, you are prone to have them again). The key I was given is that my water intake needed to increase dramatically to help flush the kidneys properly. I did note that my fluid intake had been lower than it should be for some time before I had issues from pain with the stones. (As kidney stones ARE calcium, I would have thought the idea would be to reduce rather than increase it in your diet!!??) From looking at the charts on high oxalate foods, you cannot eat anything much at all!!! I would in all seriousness, get another opinion from another urologist before trying to get by with the minimal foods your do's and don'ts list leaves you with!!! In the meantime, drink heaps of water!!!!

If you are taking in too much oxalate and insufficient calcium it causes calcium levels in your blood to rise making kidney stones more of a risk. This is what I was told at the osteoporosis clinic.

• 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Every strength to you @cmtigger and thanks for that insight @comptonelizabeth