BiomedDent wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do whatever works for you. It's better to do a plan/program and get out of dangerous weight bracket than to try CICO and not succeed because your mind ultimately needs the plan/program to follow to succeed.

Lots of armchair dietitians/doctors on here. Do not listen to them. Even nutritionists are just glorified calorie counters.

Only genuine accurate diet advice can come from a dietitian and they will say-find what works for you and give you guidance.

This always makes my eye twitch a little...all plans are CICO...CICO =/= calorie counting...it's an energy equation. I don't calorie count, so I have no issues with people following whatever plan really...some are better than others.

I know that all plans are essentially restricting calories in the end but some people need the structure of a plan to achieve a calorie deficit instead of just calorie counting from the off.

Some people can just simply log calories. Some people need a new structure plan like low carb, or slim fast etc etc

Excuse me--and who says that's bad?

Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....

Right, so SOME people need those structures.....so?

Yes like I said, some people need that. And that is fine. Re-read my posts and tell me where it says it's not okay

I think the confusion is coming from this statement:
    Lots of armchair dietitians/doctors on here. Do not listen to them. Even nutritionists are just glorified calorie counters.

Only genuine accurate diet advice can come from a dietitian and they will say-find what works for you and give you guidance.

If "Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....", then why would you make a statement that essentially accuses people on this site of putting down those who require more structure?

It's putting everyone's "expert" opinion about calorie counting down-*Ahem* the henched men and women who think because they're muscly and achieved a goal that suddenly they know all about weight loss and nutrition ergo "it's all cico". They don't. They know what worked for them, and them only-they're entitled to opinions but not stating as fact and they're certainly not entitled to put those who need a structured plan down.

Everyone should do whatever works for them-whether that be structured plans or simply logging. And forget what all the self proclaimed "experts" on here say as they are not qualified to do so.

But...it *is* all CICO. Sure, there are different ways to achieve a calorie deficit, but understanding that weight loss boils down to a basic math equation is something that I feel like everyone trying to lose weight needs to understand.

If you need a structured eating plan, great. But I still think it's important to understand that none of us defy physics and any time we lose weight we are implementing CICO, no matter how we eat.

**Just to be clear, "CICO" is the energy equation, not necessarily "calorie counting."

Why do they need to understand It? If their plan (with out knowing it's cico) works why on earth do they need that information?

And more importantly why do strangers on the internet feel compelled to ram it down their throat?

Live and let live. If someone wants advice on their structured plan give it. Don't point out info they don't need instead of offering the info they requested.

Because it is important knowledge to have that will not only help them on their current journey, but also help them to keep the weight off in the future.

If they are on "X" diet, and don't understand the mechanics behind why they're losing weight, they may revert back to old eating habits once "X" diet is complete and gain the weight back.

And anyway, why would knowledge ever be a bad thing?

As an academic I will wholeheartedly say it's not. But when someone is struggling on a plan they decided to start (which is very hard for some) and they ask a question in reference to aforementioned plan the last thing they need is someone saying "why cut it out? It's all cico"

It's not helpful or useful and it's disheartening (and annoying) to the person asking the question, on the structured plan they chose to start.

You're projecting your feelings on to others.

It's not disheartening and annoying to everyone. To some? Maybe. But that's where common sense comes in - take the advice that you want/need and ignore what you don't. It isn't that hard. If my advice helps others, then it's worth annoying a few, I suppose.

The annoyance and disheartening effect of saying "it's all cico" is the entire point of this thread :D

I, for one, couldn't care less how anyone loses weight. Do whatever works for you, but don't listen to those who aren't qualified, telling you what's right and wrong (unless,of course, you ask what could be wrong in the first place)

But if one is operating under the belief that everybody here is unqualified and don't know the first thing about what they're talking about, why would they ask a question in the first place? Seems to me that I wouldn't expect any useful advice from a pool of people who I thought knew nothing about the topic at hand.

Oh opinions are great and anecdotal info is awesome. But what I thought OP was trying to say (or was annoyed with) was that these opinions are stated at inappropriate times when someone asks a question for e.g. About slim fast diets and then someone comes along to discredit the slim fast diet and say "it's all just cico anyway"

The Slim Fast diet is crap, though. Why would we just virtually pat people on the head and say, "Good for you!" when it isn't? <confused>

It was an example. And it's all about personal choice/body autonomy :)

Ps the shakes actually taste quite nice lol
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When people continue their CICO/TDEE/BMR discussions, I often wonder if they realise there is no accurate way of assessing your TDEE/BMR and that in almost every case, calculators are not accurate.

Apparently the most accurate way is to go use a bodpod but at £90/session it's a pricy way to figure it out
  • 1201alarm
    1201alarm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ∆FosB
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. It's better to do a plan/program and get out of dangerous weight bracket than to try CICO and not succeed because your mind ultimately needs the plan/program to follow to succeed.

This always makes my eye twitch a little...all plans are CICO...CICO =/= calorie counting...it's an energy equation. I don't calorie count, so I have no issues with people following whatever plan really...some are better than others.

I know that all plans are essentially restricting calories in the end but some people need the structure of a plan to achieve a calorie deficit instead of just calorie counting from the off.

Some people can just simply log calories. Some people need a new structure plan like low carb, or slim fast etc etc

Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....

Yes like I said, some people need that. And that is fine. Re-read my posts and tell me where it says it's not okay

If "Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....", then why would you make a statement that essentially accuses people on this site of putting down those who require more structure?

It's putting everyone's "expert" opinion about calorie counting down-*Ahem* the henched men and women who think because they're muscly and achieved a goal that suddenly they know all about weight loss and nutrition ergo "it's all cico". They don't. They know what worked for them, and them only-they're entitled to opinions but not stating as fact and they're certainly not entitled to put those who need a structured plan down.

Everyone should do whatever works for them-whether that be structured plans or simply logging. And forget what all the self proclaimed "experts" on here say as they are not qualified to do so.

I wonder how we were long term successful? Maybe because we did the research and do know what works?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Actually, a lot of the people here who have achieved their goals have read a lot of research from people who do know what they're doing. People like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, James Krieger... just to name a few.

I can't tell you how much research I've read while I've done "what works for me", and a lot of it was linked here by those "muscly" men.

You're mistaken in your assumption that just because someone is offering an opinion from experience that the opinion isn't informed and based on research.

Still doesn't make it scientifically/medically/dietitian accredited qualified I'm afraid. It makes it a very well formed opinion. That's it.

It's an internet forum, what do you expect?

Frankly, anyone expecting to come on an internet forum receiving certified advice from experts is a bit of a dreamer.

I don't really think you have a point here. My point stands. If people have informed themselves with references from experts in nutrition (look up the credentials of the people I've listed) and are passing along what they're learned from them, they're not just saying "what worked for them".
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But...it *is* all CICO. Sure, there are different ways to achieve a calorie deficit, but understanding that weight loss boils down to a basic math equation is something that I feel like everyone trying to lose weight needs to understand.

If you need a structured eating plan, great. But I still think it's important to understand that none of us defy physics and any time we lose weight we are implementing CICO, no matter how we eat.

**Just to be clear, "CICO" is the energy equation, not necessarily "calorie counting."

Why do they need to understand It? If their plan (with out knowing it's cico) works why on earth do they need that information?

And more importantly why do strangers on the internet feel compelled to ram it down their throat?

Live and let live. If someone wants advice on their structured plan give it. Don't point out info they don't need instead of offering the info they requested.

Have you heard of the Chinese Room?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    When people continue their CICO/TDEE/BMR discussions, I often wonder if they realise there is no accurate way of assessing your TDEE/BMR and that in almost every case, calculators are not accurate.

They're a starting point. You watch the scale. You compare real results vs. expected results and then you know where you're really at.

If you're a data nerd, you can figure out your own TDEE based on scale performance.

It's not that hard to come to a decently close enough number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Actually, real world data is pretty accurate when combined with logging as accurately as possible...pretty much every veteran user here knows that calculators are just a reasonably good starting point...I'd wager that most everyone has modified their targets based on real world data.

Personally, I don't log...I just make adjustments to my eating habits as required.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    1201alarm wrote: »
    ∆FosB

Addicting, isn't it? ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

If there's no accurate way of assessing your TDEE, how have millions of people lost weight via calorie restriction? While calculators are not 100% accurate, one can start with that figure and assess the effect over time to fine tune their intake based upon weight trends. If your weight is trending up over time, you're eating too many calories; if it's trending down too fast, you're eating too few calories. If it's staying essentially still, you're eating at maintenance.

How do YOU think weight loss happens if it's not CICO?

• SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I wonder how we were long term successful? Maybe because we did the research and do know what works?

No, ultimately in many instances those building muscle mass aren't creating building blocks for longer term wellness, nor are they creating functional muscle mass. You've been successful in putting muscle mass onto your frame, congratulations when that's your goal - but in essence it's far easier to do that than get your body into shape for a marathon, or be able to compete in a fight sport where you need a combination of strength, agility, endurance.

Pretty good correlation between those that body build for aesthetics alone and ingest a ton of creatine, BCAA and an over supply of protein and those dying early deaths too.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If there's no accurate way of assessing your TDEE, how have millions of people lost weight via calorie restriction? While calculators are not 100% accurate, one can start with that figure and assess the effect over time to fine tune their intake based upon weight trends. If your weight is trending up over time, you're eating too many calories; if it's trending down too fast, you're eating too few calories. If it's staying essentially still, you're eating at maintenance.

How do YOU think weight loss happens if it's not CICO?

"How have millions lost weight via calorie restriction" - because in most instances, they're going from 3000ish calories of *kitten*, to 1700-2200 calories of not *kitten*, and going from sedentary to active in terms of their movement.

How come millions of those losing weight put it all back on again? Oh, because they've not retrained their brain, they've not eaten correctly and they've done nothing to stop the underlying issues that caused them to gain it in the first place, they just got good for a while at eating less calories.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

Some time ago I had this happen from a "veteran" member.

After reading some of the labels on some foods that I was eating I decided to eliminate them instead of moderating them. I was told by this "veteran" that I would fail...I must have an eating disorder...I had no will power if I eliminated instead of moderating. There was no misunderstanding of what he said and what he meant.

The difference between me and the OP...I make my own choices and don't really care what someone else thinks. My decisions on what I eat are based on my own needs and the research that I have done.

This "veteran" went on my "pay no attention to list".

I think that there are several people on this site that have never participated on forums before. Many are much worse that this place...you have to develop tough skin sometimes to survive on the internet. I was a little surprised that a diet site could get so argumentative but at least so far no one has told that I deserved to be beaten, raped and murdered! LOL

When someone says that they can't control themselves around a food one of the things that gets asked is are you going to avoid this food forever. Moderation can be different for everyone I have a dark chocolate bar in my fridge I moderate and only eat a couple peices when I want but for other people that can be difficult. My weakness is cashews I will eat the whole container in one sitting, some people can have a handful and be done not me. I won't stop eating them but I will get one single serving pack once in a while. This is how I moderate cashews and I recommend it to everyone over food elimination.

It was not a food that binged on. I only had it on occasion. I haven't missed it. That has been over 2 years ago.

I never said that I couldn't control myself around this item.

I think that you have to know people's personalities before you can recommend how each person handles a food item.

I can moderate pizza...a few other things not so well. I have no problems with ice cream...a good cookie...well not so much. So I don't bake them often.

Yes most of us have our weaknesses and we each have to decide for ourselves how to handle it. For me personally...I picked the things that I really like and have worked to moderate those things. Other things that were just okay...not worth the effort to learn to moderate them.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys, thread currently locked for review.
This discussion has been closed.