Yet another study shows no weight loss benefit for low-carb

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...I eat carbs from these sources and have a bmi of 21 and am in excellent health. In the past 48 hours I've had pasta, bread (bun from a Jr. Big Mac), french fries, Fritos, a donut, peppermint Schnapps etc. I've also had lots of veggies, a bit of fruit, lean meat etc. I focus on my calorie intake and then eat the foods I like, which includes the bacon, chicken tender white cheddar mac I had Friday night, as well as the spinach, sweet pepper and mushroom salad I had last night :)

BMI twins! I'm also an eater of many carbs and a long-term maintainer (going on 6 years now.) And I'm middle-aged and don't have a pot-belly, so I guess carbs aren't that deadly when eaten within reason and combined with other healthy behaviors... :D
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Our DD lost 65 pads on low carb diet(non keto).The wt poured off,but poured back even faster when she went to CICO.Nothing seems to work now.All her blood work is good.
    Don't think wt loss is the same for all & needs a lot more research.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    patceoh wrote: »
    Our DD lost 65 pads on low carb diet(non keto).The wt poured off,but poured back even faster when she went to CICO.Nothing seems to work now.All her blood work is good.

What do you meant by "went back to CICO"?

She was employing CICO when she lost weight low carbing.

CICO is a statement regarding energy balance, not a particular diet.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I eat carbs from these sources and have a bmi of 21 and am in excellent health. In the past 48 hours I've had pasta, bread (bun from a Jr. Big Mac), french fries, Fritos, a donut, peppermint Schnapps etc. I've also had lots of veggies, a bit of fruit, lean meat etc. I focus on my calorie intake and then eat the foods I like, which includes the bacon, chicken tender white cheddar mac I had Friday night, as well as the spinach, sweet pepper and mushroom salad I had last night :)

BMI twins! I'm also an eater of many carbs and a long-term maintainer (going on 6 years now.) And I'm middle-aged and don't have a pot-belly, so I guess carbs aren't that deadly when eaten within reason and combined with other healthy behaviors... :D

Going on 4 years of maintenance here and creeping closer to 40 years old, we are twins lol :# No pot-belly here either and I've gone from size 14 jeans to size 4s, all while eating carbs from all sorts of foods :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

What do you meant by "went back to CICO"?

She was employing CICO when she lost weight low carbing.

CICO is a statement regarding energy balance, not a particular diet.

^^This

CICO <> calorie counting. Amazed how often this comes up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

So also probably went back to eating a load more calories. If she changed macronutrients profiles but maintain calorie levels, she would have never gained back.
  • psuLemon
    I did not read every post so pardon me if this was already said. I do think that there is some value to the low carb way of life. I tried the no carb diet in the past. And I had excellent results. But I can not do that forever and my body responded even more to carbs when they were re-introduced.
    When this happened, it made me start thinking historically. The human body was designed far before our modern eating methods. So I started thinking about what it was actually designed to do. I think the problem is not carbs per-se. Veggies, fruits etc all have carbs. The problem is the explosion of carbs that we have come to know as "normal". I am talking the pastas, breads, chips, crackers and a host of other sources. You only have to try the no-carb diet to realize just from how many directions the carbs are coming at us. It makes sense. Almost everything that we eat has some level of processing and carbs are usually the cheapest thing a manufacturer can add. And since most everything in nature has some level of carbs, it does not make sense that we would live in a world where everything is poison to the body. When you couple this with the concept that the human body was designed to move much more than we generally do today, it is a wonder why we do not weigh more than we do.

For me, the portion control, combined with limiting, not all carbs...but seriously cutting the bread and pasta carbs seems to be working the best. The great thing is that since I am allowing to have a little every so often, I no longer crave them like a heroin addict looking for a fix. I am not at my goal weigh yet but I actually do feel that what I have been doing this time might actually be something that I can do long term.

The problem isn't the explosion of carbs, it's the explosion of all foods and highly sedentary lifestyles. Because in the blue zones, carbs make up 70% of their diet... a diet that is low in meats and fats.

Also, your analogy can be applied to many things; butter, cheese, oils, yogurt, etc...
  • KittyO77
    KittyO77 Posts: 9 Member
    As an overweight medic myself, quite frankly I don't care how people get the weight off as long as they get it off. Whatever works for them and all that.

I am doing Low carb diet because I feel that I have a steady drip of energy rather than sugar highs and lows. My brain is functioning better, and I am not snacking. My body is only burning the fat, not fat and muscle. So it's working for me, but if low-calorie diets are better for you then that's fab - keep at it.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Full article: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311279409_Visceral_adiposity_and_metabolic_syndrome_after_very_high-fat_and_low-fat_isocaloric_diets_a_randomized_controlled_trial_12

Many, if not most, low carbers find that the improved weight loss rate on a LCHF diet is simply due to appetite reduction. They are less hungry and are able to eat less with not as much effort.

The studies that have found an increase in weight loss have found that it mostly equalizes within a year. There may be a slight benefit in the first few months (by slight I mean just a few pounds) but the gap narrows by 12 months. If there is a metabolic advantage, it doesn't happen in everyone (those with IR seem to slightly benefit) and it isn't much.

I don't care what the research says.. experience shows it works to help lose weight. We have to take research with a grain of salt. I wonder how many subjects they had?
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017
    KittyO77 wrote: »
    As an overweight medic myself, quite frankly I don't care how people get the weight off as long as they get it off. Whatever works for them and all that.

I am doing Low carb diet because I feel that I have a steady drip of energy rather than sugar highs and lows. My brain is functioning better, and I am not snacking. My body is only burning the fat, not fat and muscle. So it's working for me, but if low-calorie diets are better for you then that's fab - keep at it.

This is not correct. Even if you are ketogenic, your body will still burn fat and sugar as your body runs off of glucose (i.e., glucenogenesis). Your ratio of fat oxidation to carb oxidation might favor fat, but it's not going to be substantial. And a person generally doesn't just burn muscle. When it doesn't it's generally from aggressive weight loss, in adequate protein, and/or no resistance training.
  • MadriverDell
    MadriverDell Posts: 14 Member
    Successful low-carbers (i.e. they lose weight) report good appetite control with this WOE allowing them to get a calorie deficit going while not feeling hungry. This isn't universal however. There are people for whom this phenomena simply doesn't happen. They're just as hungry/satiated on low carb diet as they are on any other.

I wish I got the appetite suppression people on low-carb diets report. I don't.
  • eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

Diets are not religion, if it works for you great.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    eagle_74 wrote: »
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

Carbs are NOT a drug, that is just ridiculous....
  • WVWalkerFriend
    WVWalkerFriend Posts: 575 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    eagle_74 wrote: »

But many people eat to fullness without being keto. Carbs don't equal "destructive behaviors" as you seem to believe.

Carbs aren't like a drug. I can't fathom that thinking.

For you. Others find carbs problematic. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.