Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Steps calorie adjustment disappears after adding an exercise (screenshots)

boomy7222boomy7222 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
a8ngijc4eq4t.jpg

yj1nbi922dzs.jpg

Hello,

If I add exercise, then my steps calorie adjustment disappears.

Is this normal?

(iPhone 6, app version 7.6.3.18361, iOS 10.2.1)
edited January 2017

Replies

• sllm1sllm1 Posts: 1,992Member Member Posts: 1,992Member Member
    Mine does this and then later, the step calorie adjustment reappears (usually). It's so irritating.
  • CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,511Member Member Posts: 7,511Member Member
    I assume you are using MFP iOS app with the iOS steps feature. It seems MFP recently changed how it calculates Calories from iOS steps. This is the first screen capture I have seen from a before and after perspective.

I am going to speculate here, since I don't use iOS and the MFP iOS steps feature (I use Android and Fitbit).

Before you added the aerobics activity, MFP estimated you would earn an additional 49 Cals for 3,453 steps. I assume MFP includes an estimated minimum number of steps in your Activity Level setting. In this case, I would guess your MFP Activity Level setting is Not Very Active/Sedentary. So, those iOS steps just slightly exceeded the estimated steps needed to get extra Calories above Sedentary.

Then you logged 60 minutes of "Aerobics, general," which is a step-based activity. Were you wearing your iOS device when you did aerobics? If not, those steps during aerobics may not be counted.

I would guess 60 minutes of aerobics is probably more than about 6000 steps (in an hour of moderate-paced walking at 3.0 mph I can do about 6000 steps). Since MFP's algorithms do not want to double count earned Calories, it took away the 49 Cals earned from the 3,453 steps, because you logged a step-based activity that exceeded Sedentary + any current iOS steps. I would guess that you won't see a positive step Calorie adjustment until your total iOS steps exceed at least 6000 or even more total steps for the day.

If you were not wearing your iOS device when you did aerobics, I would suggest doing a test with the iOS device in an arm-band or waist-band while doing aerobics the next time and see if the Calories from your iOS steps get decreased when you log aerobics.

If you were wearing your iOS device when you did aerobics, then there may be a bug, or my theory may be completely wrong. If my theory is wrong, never mind.

Again, this is speculation on my part, since I don't have an Apple device to do any testing on it.
  • boomy7222boomy7222 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Yes, I'm using MFP with iOS steps feature and I'm not wearing iOS device while doing exercise. You are also right about activity level - Not very active, but, sometimes it works, like today. Screenshot:

jbjptoc2cerb.jpg

Now I have closed MFP (for the first time today) and oppened it again and seems like a bug appears (same as in my first post). After that, I've removed aerobics workout from MFP, restarted MFP and steps calorie adjustment is still wrong (0), then I've added a strenght workout (test) and steps calories are still excluded.

Screenshot:

ln744biyj2t5.jpg

It looks like after adding an exercise, steps calorie adjustment works only until you restart MFP.
    edited January 2017
  • CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,511Member Member Posts: 7,511Member Member
    A Strength Training workout, such as push-ups, is not a step-based Cardiovascular activity, so I would guess that that activity, or any other activity logged in the Strength Training section of MFP, would not affect MFP's revised iOS steps Calorie calculations.

The 1 Calorie earned for 13 steps may just be a rounding error resulting from MFP's calculations; that "adjustment" very well could have been a 0 - just speculating here.

I can't be sure, but I think MFP's revised iOS steps algorithms are trying to simulate an all-day activity tracker and there are some bugs in their equations.

• pseudomonas451pseudomonas451 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I've had this same issue with S health. I'm fairly active during the day at my job and will often come home with 15k steps on my wrist tracker. Those step calories are included in MFP and are usually around 600 or so. Later in the evening I'll generally go to the gym, where I'll bike and run. After my tracker syncs those activities with MFP the 600 calories 'earned' from the steps prior to exercise disappear and never make their way back.

I understand that MFP doesn't want to double count step calories, but all of the exercising I do comes after I get the bulk of my steps for the day, I don't believe that those step calories should be disappearing.

Any thoughts as to why this might happen?
  • alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    I've had this same issue with S health. I'm fairly active during the day at my job and will often come home with 15k steps on my wrist tracker. Those step calories are included in MFP and are usually around 600 or so. Later in the evening I'll generally go to the gym, where I'll bike and run. After my tracker syncs those activities with MFP the 600 calories 'earned' from the steps prior to exercise disappear and never make their way back.

I understand that MFP doesn't want to double count step calories, but all of the exercising I do comes after I get the bulk of my steps for the day, I don't believe that those step calories should be disappearing.

@pseudomonas451 Where do you log your gym workouts? Directly to S Health or in MFP? The MFP Calorie adjustment only happens when the total-day calorie expectation of your tracker exceeds what MFP has as your baseline calorie goal. If you click on the calorie adjustment line in your diary, it will show you the numbers it's working with - the reported number from your tracker has to be higher than the MFP estimate to get the calorie credit.
  • arkowalyshynarkowalyshyn Posts: 129Member Member Posts: 129Member Member
    I had something similar, but for my situation it made sense. When I put an activity in with a time, it took away my step adjustment for that time frame so I didn't double count my activity.
  • pseudomonas451pseudomonas451 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    alikonda wrote: »

@pseudomonas451 Where do you log your gym workouts? Directly to S Health or in MFP? The MFP Calorie adjustment only happens when the total-day calorie expectation of your tracker exceeds what MFP has as your baseline calorie goal. If you click on the calorie adjustment line in your diary, it will show you the numbers it's working with - the reported number from your tracker has to be higher than the MFP estimate to get the calorie credit.

I log my workouts using my fitness tracker (Gear s3) , which then syncs to S-health. The reported number is always higher for my tracker, however the samsung calorie adjustment is 0 if there is any exercise added.

For example, today I have not tracked any work outs, just steps. Samsung calories burned is 3094 , Myfitnesspal Calories burned is 2564 , which means my adjustment is +530. I am getting credit for the steps.

Two days ago I had 15k steps. The Samsung calorie adjustment that showed up prior to going to the gym was somewhere around +500. After exercise, the exercise calories showed up, but the samsung calorie adjustment went away.

The total for the day looks like this:
    Swimming : 290
    Treadmill : 191
    Samsung calorie adjustment: 0

If I click on the "i" I see:

Samsung Calories burned 3676
    Myfitnesspal calories burned: 3045

Samsung calorie adjustment: 0

Shouldn't this number be :+631 ? (3676-3045) is the math according to MFP

It's not a big deal, I'm just confused as to why I could hypothetically walk 50k steps in day, then go to the gym and record an exercise, only to have MFP say I get no calorie credit for those 50k steps.
  • alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    Yeah, I'd write to MFP support about it (provide screenshots, if possible!) - it's always been straightforward subtraction.
  • irelandatheartirelandatheart Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    It's 2019 and I'm still having this problem, too.
  • xKJAMSxKJAMS Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    It's 2019 and I'm still having this problem, too.

Same :( it’s very frustrating..... If it’s clearly like the one person said where I earned steps in the morning then exercised in the evening and lost step calories for said exercise, I just manually add it back as walking or something... it then I get worried maybe I’m cheating myself , though I don’t see how I could be if the two things are clearly done several hours apart..
  • ypodeswaypodeswa Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I have the same bug, seems to be very common. Step calories are counted until I add an exercise, then they aren't counted. And most of my steps for the day don't overlap at all with the exercises I added. I'm not using the FitBit integration, just the iOS step counter. I'm a software developer myself and this seems like a very clear/obvious bug.
    edited October 31
  • waalbywaalby Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    Getting the same here with shealth and a galaxy watch. it's really frustrating if I put in 20k steps during the day and then do a work out to see any calorific impact of those steps disappear.

Kinda wishing I never swapped away from Garmin and MFP, using shealth and MFP is proving to be a nightmare.
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 17,096Member Member Posts: 17,096Member Member
    The SHealth link is different issue than using a device directly by MFP as a step counter, where accounts are not synced.

SHealth is sending the wrong info to MFP, same as Apple Health does.
    Incorrect info means MFP does it's math and you get bad results.

Apple Watch has an out because you can sync MFP with Pacer App, which syncs with Apple Health and puts together the figures that MFP in their API instructions say belong together.
    (ie Total Daily Calories burned should include total calories burned, base sedentary, extra activity, and workouts.
    Total means total. Apple only sends the Sedentary burn figure, no extra activity - so screwed up math)

You might see if Pacer syncs with SHealth too - in which case you might have an out for MFP to get correct figures to do math with.

But you have to confirm you are syncing accounts - not just syncing to device directly for steps.
    If accounts - de-link them on MFP and SHealth side both.