Need more friends for motivation blood work came back

Options
13»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I was listening to one of the presentations from the autoimmune summit last night and heard something that I thought may be helpful here. Dr. Osborne was talking about the 5 triggers for autoimmune - food being one of them, and gluten being the most studied. He said that there are actually many different glutens but that when foods talk about gluten, they are only talking about the one that is in wheat, barley and rye. However, he said many people have a reaction to other glutens or even all of them. Gluten is essentially a protein from grass (grain).
    Anyway, thyroid issues are one of the main manifestations of gluten intolerance - and, again, not just the ones in wheat, barley and rye. They are in ALL grains.
    Here is the part that I think @microwoman999 and @KnitOrMiss need to know: most of the thyroid medication uses corn starch (which contains a type of gluten) as a filler. So in essence, you could be taking a pill to correct an issue which contains a filler that is exacerbating that same issue.

That doesn't make any sense. The auto-immune trigger is what starts the immune response. Once it is started, then, it is somewhat of a moot point as to what caused it to start. Hashimoto's is similar to type 1 diabetes in this regard (I have both), as are other auto-immune responses. Once a trigger occurs and your immune system "learns" that a particular cell is foreign and must be attacked (despite that it isn't), your immune system doesn't "un-learn" that just because you get rid of the trigger. The damage is done at that point.

@midwesterner85 - I think @cstehansen was mainly warning that taking a medication with gluten IN IT to treat a condition worsened by gluten was counterproductive and asinine. I don't think he was implying that the medication is what triggered the autoimmune response, which I think is how you read that, based on your response.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I was listening to one of the presentations from the autoimmune summit last night and heard something that I thought may be helpful here. Dr. Osborne was talking about the 5 triggers for autoimmune - food being one of them, and gluten being the most studied. He said that there are actually many different glutens but that when foods talk about gluten, they are only talking about the one that is in wheat, barley and rye. However, he said many people have a reaction to other glutens or even all of them. Gluten is essentially a protein from grass (grain).
    Anyway, thyroid issues are one of the main manifestations of gluten intolerance - and, again, not just the ones in wheat, barley and rye. They are in ALL grains.
    Here is the part that I think @microwoman999 and @KnitOrMiss need to know: most of the thyroid medication uses corn starch (which contains a type of gluten) as a filler. So in essence, you could be taking a pill to correct an issue which contains a filler that is exacerbating that same issue.

That doesn't make any sense. The auto-immune trigger is what starts the immune response. Once it is started, then, it is somewhat of a moot point as to what caused it to start. Hashimoto's is similar to type 1 diabetes in this regard (I have both), as are other auto-immune responses. Once a trigger occurs and your immune system "learns" that a particular cell is foreign and must be attacked (despite that it isn't), your immune system doesn't "un-learn" that just because you get rid of the trigger. The damage is done at that point.

@midwesterner85 - I think @cstehansen was mainly warning that taking a medication with gluten IN IT to treat a condition worsened by gluten was counterproductive and asinine. I don't think he was implying that the medication is what triggered the autoimmune response, which I think is how you read that, based on your response.

correct - it just sounded to me like adding a virus to an antibiotic. You may already be sick from the virus, but adding more along with the medication seems kind of stupid. I really never understood putting in fillers. Why does a pill need to be any bigger than it has to be in order to contain the medication. I like when a pill is super small.

I have no autoimmune issues personally (to the best of my knowledge). I am listening to this because my wife has fibromyalgia and arthritis, and from what I can tell there seems to be strong relation between all of the autoimmune diseases. My wife is one of those who will way above and beyond to help others but doesn't do what she should for herself. I am trying to take care of her at least somewhat like she takes care of others.