WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Greetings Lovelies!

It's a cold, blustery Sunday in Worcestershire this morning, but I thought I'd just pen this quick note before going downstairs for my first coffee. I'll probably bring a cup to himself too as he's snuggled in bed totally enjoying his Sunday lie-in.

So my weekly appointment with the scales earlier this morning was completely uneventful - no movement at all (which, I know, is better than a gain!)

A new Thai restaurant has opened in town which could prove to be my downfall - I just love Thai food. I picked up my knitting basket too last night, and shamefacedly resumed knitting a jumper for hubby which I really should have finished months ago. Such a short attention span!

So today I shall spend most of my time finishing off bits of housework, knitting, sewing and writing lists.

I have skimmed most of the posts that have popped in here in the last few days, but it is more than 280, so you'll forgive me if I don't refer to anything or anyone in particular. But you're all in my heart.

Love love love!

Yinka in Worcestershire, UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    <3
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Chris, I have been maintaining for several years and I do it by staying close to all of you on this thread and logging food and exercise just like I did when I was losing. I deal with many social/eating occasions by not eating at the event and concentrating on the people instead.

<3 Barbie

You were sitting right next to me last night Barbie. I logged all my food for the day, allowed for 2 small glasses of wine and ate dinner before I went. I joined my friends who were ordering dinnner and ordered a glass of wine and glass of water. I declined all offers of "just taste this" and enjoyed the wonder company of my friends. I sipped wine and water all evening and did not gain an ounce.

Monday evening I am going to another get together for desert and coffee. I purchased fresh berries to bring as an alternative to whatever goodies that will be offered.

Barbie, you will be socializing a lot with me! Thanks so much for the advice.

Have to work now for a couple of hours then I am taking my daughter in law to the Peabody Essex museum to see the shoe exhibit. I'll get my steps in while enjoying some alone time with her.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Chris in MA where the weather is now seasonable at 38° instead of in the 60's.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Kindergarten? Dirty German books? Do these things go together??? :huh: :wink:

klanders: Gorgeous photos! I'm glad that you two had such a good trip. :flowerforyou:

I'm up early because I wasn't sleeping well and since today is bone density day, I took my medicine and had to sit upright in a chair for half an hour. The timer went off and I can have COFFEE! YAY!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    NY Karen love the pictures. Thank you for sharing.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    NY KAREN - So glad you have good memories of Morocco. <3 Love the photos.
    I make my own yoghurt, ever since a trip to India, when I was reminded how fabulous it is. I used to make it in the 70s and stopped, but I have been making it now for about six years. It is definitely worth the small hassle. We eat it every evening with stewed fruit and of course as a raita etc.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    We are down with my DFIL and will be going down to my uncle's Birthday party this afternoon down on the shore.. taking ng my dad down..
    Tom and I went over bills and he is going to transfer all bills into my account,going to go over my paychecks and his and see if he is conning me...We will have to see.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :'(Katla, I'm so sorry about the horse at your riding place.

:)Chris, the first time I went to a potluck and didn't bring anything and didn't eat, I was surprised at how much more I talked to people and how many other people didn't eat at potlucks and how many different reasons they had.

:)<3Allie, I'm sending you extra hugs to bolster you so you don't get conned by Tom.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Barbie from NW Washington where it's another beautiful day to walk the dogs.
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Good morning, just finished some meal prepping for the week. I made 6 containers of quinoa salad which DH and I will take for our lunches. The salad is a nice sized serving @350k, fat 16.9, protein 12.8, carbs 38.6. It is mostly veggies, with some feta and chick peas, olive oil and vinegars. It keeps beautifully in the fridge for the week.

Becky Love your strong, confident post from last night.
    Ginger When you take over the world, can I sit at your table; it looks so cozy. You would never suspect your evil plans. Love the cleaning game, very creative idea!
    DJ hugs, hope all is well in your world
    Mavis hope you are feeling better
    Katia so sad to hear about that poor horse :/
    Kate good luck with the assessment, hope all goes well
    Yinka I would love to learn to knit, I admire the creativity and skill. What do you make?
    NYKaren Gorgeous pics, I love the Middle East. Glad you had a good time.

I am just sitting here drinking my grapefruit infused water and looking out on a sunny day. It has been very mild and raining so with all the snow, this is making for prime flood conditions. Those who live with a sump pump will get this. Our pump is running non stop. If it were to break, our basement would be completely flooded in about 10 minutes, that is how much water is coming in. I have my own Niagara Falls in my basement. It is supposed to freeze again by next Friday so that will slow things down.

Have a great day everyone. Tossing out hugs to anyone who wants to catch one!

<3 Sarah, Ontario
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,824 Member
    Options
    Allie, stick to your guns. We are here to support you.

Inspections of house went well yesterday. Now to finance the RV....

Stressing........

Rita from CT
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Joyce ~ You and your brothers and sister all bear a close resemblance. Good picture.

NY Karen ~ Love the pics of the mosque tiles and you and hubby. That looks like a lot of food. LOL

Katla ~ So sorry about the horse. It hurts so much to put a loved animal down.

Re ~ You are doing great.

I think I would love the Mexican soup, but, my DH doesn't like spicy Mexican food and I would have to eat it all by myself.

Went from 80 degrees on Fri to 30 degrees this AM. My azaleas are blooming but due to all the drought las summer the blooms are scarce and I am afraid I am going to have to have the ones on the right side of the front dug up and replaced. My DH planted these over 25 yrs ago and they have always been beautiful but not any more.

The vent on our roof has a large hole in it and my DH tried to go up there and cover it up yesterday. I was terrified he was going to fall off and he came down at last because he couldn't get the large black bag to cover it. WE will have to call someone next week to replace and are probably going to have to replace the roof soon. Oh, the expense of keeping up a house. :'( We are lucky that it is paid off but there is always something needing help.

Carol in GA
  • loseweightbb
    loseweightbb Posts: 36 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Marni: It really depends on where you live in NY whether you have snow or not. I live in Taberg, NY which is east of Lake Ontario (between Camden & Rome - closest small city), so we're in more of a snow belt area (even worse in other areas even closer to the lake or more north than us). We've actually had PLENTY of snow here this yr. The 1st snowstorm we got back in Nov. dumped almost 3 ft of it in our yard. Then it packed down to about 2 ft deep for a while. Had a short warm stretch at the beginning of Jan when some areas around us had all grass (about 45 min away from here - like where I work in Utica - southeast of us & closer to Syracuse - southwest), but we only had it get down to a few inches deep at best with a few grassy spots. Soon after & since, we've had a bunch of snowstorms & had about 3 ft of it again until recently.

It's less than what we've had some years in the past, but still have had plenty of it (more than I'd like). With the unusual warm days in 50s & 60s & also rain a couple of days this past wk, it has melted down to about 1 ft deep in most of our yard & a few grassy spots & the higher piles are down to about 3-4 ft, but still was more white than green. Probably all gone in Utica again. Just when I was getting excited about seeing grass again, though, the temps have dropped back to 30s & it snowed about 4 in. last night, so back to all white again. Oh well, it's still only Feb. We typically get more snow in March, too. Only the last couple of yrs have we had the snow gone before mid April (even later some yrs).

Hubby & I have been talking about moving away from the snow when we both retire, but have also discussed that we could just have a lot less of it moving only about 45 -60 min drive away. Yet another reason to move closer to where I work, besides the long commute for me. Hubby's retiring this summer, too, so if we can find the right house or decent land to build on (have looked, but no success yet), we'll consider moving closer to Utica. Also considering if we should just save up enough so I can retire sooner (will be at least 4 more yrs - prob. closer to 8 more yrs) & move elsewhere. Don't know.

-- Becky (snowy again in NY) :o
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I caught up on reading and sending hugs and support to all. And thanks for the sharing.... This week I have two two social occasions and I will try to enjoy the friendships and not partake in the "eating" as much. I realize I usually eat my way through these get togethers and pay the price when I weigh. This week I will try to focus on visiting and not overeat.

Just for this week, I have joined two other women in a challenge. We will have no bread, pasta, sweets or alcohol and continue our exercise. The bread will be hard for me... but one week is only seven days.. Hmm

Betsy in NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Having some tension tamer tea~ not helping much..
    He brings home double what I do, and granted he is taking care of the mortgage and car payments.. and that leaves him with 900.00 discretionary income.. which right now he puts 200.00 a week into savings..
    I aired on the side of caution when figuring out all the bills that I will have to pay.. and will be lucky if I clear 50.00 extra a week.. he wants to get rid of joint account and get his own,,,, so we have each have our own account..
    Well I will take my dad this afternoon and have a good time.. but this has just about done me in...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ That's just not right. That's all I have to say!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options