WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
     Good morning. Whew- Got caught up on posts. Lots happening. My surgery went well and I'm back to work today. Just can't bend my finger yet, so typing is slow going

Chris in MA - I will keep you posted on how it went as the swelling goes down and healing occurs

Lenore- I'll ask my beautician friend if she thinks she can lighten my brows without causing a skin reaction (my allergies worry me).  I've never heard of brow mascara- will look that up. My brows are very thick, as is the hair on my head.  Not sure if I can wear it, again my allergies. I can only wear Bare Minerals makeup - other types of make up cause a reaction. I use DHC line of olive oil cleanser, mild lotion toner and pure soap. That line is the only one I've found that works without triggering an allergic reaction

Beth near Buffalo -steamed Brussels Sprouts, doesn't sound good to me either. My DH loves them, but the only way I can eat is roasted with a bit of olive oil, lots of garlic cloves and alot of crushed red pepper flakes. That method makes Brussels sprouts delicious. If DH wants them made a different method,  he orders at a restaurant.

Allie- my thoughts and prayers are with you. Such a difficult time for you -reminds me of my first marriage. I'm glad you have a support system here. Bless you

queene in PA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    Chris thank you for sharing shoe museum photos.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Have just returned from eye appointment, I could have had my surgery this week but will be at my daughters then I go on holiday so will have operation on 31st March

Kate UK
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Shoes are absolutely amazing. Those for binding the Chinese feet made me hurt to look at them.

Kate ~ You are lucky to get to go on so many holidays. We haven't spent a night away from home in almost 2 yrs. I don't know what kind of eye surgery you are having, but, hope it is successful.

Queene ~ My eyebrows are darker than my hair but they blend in with the hair color quite well.

I watched an old movie (Road to Perdition) yesterday that I had never seen. There was a lot of Depression Era gun shooting by mobsters but the acting and story line was good. Tom Hanks and Paul Newman were great.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Weigh in day today, stayed the same. At least I am in a hold pattern even though I have been doing a lot of stress eating. The sad part is I know I'm doing it but don't care. Need the comfort foods to get through the stress.

Allie, let the mediator or lawyer decide the bill division. An impartial person will help make this easier for both of you.

Glad to see Olivia improving so much. Strong girl!

Rita from CT
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Happy Monday! Comments on some of these posts are from a couple days ago when I started this. Most recent first:

Our local news TV stations went away when we ditched satellite TV a few years ago, so can’t watch any awards shows, tho could probably find them on Hulu or one of the other internet channels. Even when we could I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Going to see if I can find the Grammy’s one of these days tho. And want to find Lady Gaga’s Superbowl performance too.

My dining room table has seed packets all over it. I’m going to start several flats of herbs today, some for me and some for the Master Gardener Plant Sale. Borage, Hyssop, Mexican Taragon, various Yarrow, etc. Maybe some red Poppies. Our greenhouse plastic skin is “shot” from the cold weather, not sure if DH will feel up to replacing it, but will start things that are cold hardy and I should be able to keep them alive once they’ve sprouted by stashing them in the potting shed on cold nights. Once these little guys have sprouted, tomatoes come next in a few weeks—they are tender and I’ll have to baby them under grow lights in the garage. Then squash in mid-April. Hope to have lots for the sale.

Good news on the glasses with frames made in China – I pulled them out of the “Lions Club” box and have been wearing them – no problems with irritation behind the ears yet – crossing fingers! I’m guessing the hair dye was just making my skin more sensitive when I was having trouble.

Karen in VA – Olivia looks good and thriving, thanks for keeping us updated – sounds like things are improving slowly but surely. How is your partner doing after the shoulder surgery?

Chris, that shoe museum looks like a lot of fun! Thank you for posting those photos. They should have put the high heels I wore when I was in my 20’s and 30’s – at WORK every day next to the bound-feet ones in the bordering on torture category. They are the reason I only wear sneakers today with a wide toe box. Of course, I was a bit lighter then. They made me nearly 6’ tall!

Katla, hope your bones are doing well. I worry a bit about broken wrists/arms/hips as I get older. Both mom and her dad had broken hips - as they aged, they just sat around a lot which didn't do them any good. I have really teeny wrists for some reason, compared to the rest of me, lol. Hope they are like iron! I think they X-ray them when they do the DEXA scan and I need to get that done this year.

Leigh, you go girl. Doing the happy dance for you. If you go to Paris they’ll be grabbing you for the runway for the next fashion show (wink)! Could you remind us again what “plan” you are on? I love to hear people’s success stories and how they did it. Very inspirational.

AND, glad you had an enjoyable time in wine country and good for you not overindulging. Small portions of lots of goodies…we all need that from time to time. Sorry to hear your tendon is acting up. Interesting info about volunteering at the National Forest Service Parks and getting to stay there…. I’ll file this away for future reference!

NY Karen – LOVE the Morocco photos. The Camel, the photo of you and DH atop the “dune”, the food. I could almost smell it. What a great opportunity, a lifetime of memories there. I want to hide in your suitcase if you ever travel like that again. Or maybe a BIG steamer trunk, lol.

Heather, good day to baby yourself. Those books sound interesting and I’m going to check at the library for them. Spinach and Feta pie – yum! Take care!

SueBDew, can I pitch a tent in your yard? LOVE pecans and they are so expensive up here. Filberts do well in our area if we beat the birds to them, and there are some folks with good English Walnuts - black walnuts too.

Barbiecat – hope the pain meds are helping Sasha and get her back to good health. Your “grey” is very becoming!

Joyce – what a nice photo of you “sibs”, and what a record! I am the middle kid and went grey early. Older redhead sis is still pretty dark, blonde younger brother has always been fair. Between the three of us we have over 120 combined years of marriage…. Not sure how that happened, we’ve all had some pretty rough patches.

LIBBY – WELCOME!

Mary – good for you finishing the keto challenge and I bet it will help keep the weight off. When I got to goal on WW a few years ago, I did OK until I started back in on the sweets, chips, cakes, beer, etc and the weight starting climbing back on. If only I had stayed off that stuff. Staying on the low sugar-lower carb will have to be a way of life for me this time to stay at maintenance I think. Last night I had a couple cups of Trader Joe's Kettle corn - first "added sugar" snack I've eaten in weeks. It was yummy. I could have demolished the whole bag but decided to grab 1/2 oz of cheddar cheese before it got out of hand, ate it slowly - then off to bed.

Wishing you all a great week!

Lanette
    SW WA State – where it snowed but didn’t stick yesterday.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    o:)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Good morning ladies! Happy Monday!
    Allie-Thinking of you. I admire you for wanting to be fair and wanting to work things out! But I think it's time to toss this one back. Keep your lawyers close and remember; due to the fact that he feels he owes you no fairness or love, you owe him nothing.
    NY Karen-Love your Morocco pics! So beautiful!
    Karen- Baby Olivia is a stunner! Hope her mama feels better soon!
    Carol-The cabin scenes in Road to Perdition were filmed about 1/4 mile down the beach from my house! That was an exciting happening in Grand Haven/West Olive!
    Kids just arriving now. Late start, but nice to have a little more quiet before the chaos begins!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Still catching up -

Gloria, can't wait to see your new hairstyle!

Here's a recommendation for a really wonderful movie - "Little Boy" - not sure if it won any awards but it should have, it's been out a few years I think - it's on Netflix. Something for kids of all ages. I could and will watch it again.

Time for a walk. Can't tell if the Voltaren is helping, it's only been 4 days, but walking was not a problem much with that knee - just bending it and putting weight on it - so can continue with getting steps.

Later-
    Lanette
    SW WA State
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Pipster - You are absolutely my hero and I'm glad you are more yourself this evening :):)

Janetr OKC

giving you a big hug... i'm not back to my ol self.... i am at work and i can't wait 2c if i change positions, i know it won't be this week. i'm just getting drained
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-28X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay at or under calorie goal.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Pipster - You are absolutely my hero and I'm glad you are more yourself this evening :):)

Janetr OKC

giving you a big hug... i'm not back to my ol self.... i am at work and i can't wait 2c if i change positions, i know it won't be this week. i'm just getting drained

Sending good vibes that it all works out soon. Been there done that, so happy to be out of the rat race. Spent most of my years from age 17 to 62 working with attorneys, doctor's and engineers, the majority of them have a "god complex". Hugs back to you.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: It sounds as though you need rest and chamomile tea. (((HUGS)))

Chris: I love the pictures from the shoe museum. Good to see, but you wouln't catch me wearing any of them. :noway:

Kate UK: DH is in the middle of cataract operations. Number one is done and seems to be a huge improvement although his glasses are now wrong for him. He has an appointment for a check with the eye doctor on Wednesday, and will have the second eye done a bit later in March. We're pleased with the progress. :star:

Lanette in WA: I also have teeny wrists and I broke mine falling on hidden ice in separate incidents a few of years apart. The breaks are what motivated me to take bone density medications. I have no idea how well the medicine is doing at either holding the line or improving density, but I'm due for a bone scan later this year. That should give some indication. I also do a good deal of weight bearing exercise-yoga, horseback riding, and walking are the big three. I tried kettle bells, but ended up straining muscles and quit. I am certain the problem was poor form. :ohwell:

Cheri: The like button has been active on the news feed for a long time, but it is a more recent addition here. :smiley:

Pip: I hope things go well for you at work and you end up happy with your assignment. :flowerforyou:

I'm up a little weight wise and need to focus on what I'm putting in my mouth. DH has been on a comfort food binge lately, and I've been along for the ride. My weight is creeping in the wrong direction. I have yoga today and am looking forward to it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

February 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Had some saltines and peanut butter ,stomach still rocky ..Drank peppermint tea. And took a couple of Tylenol..Just want to make it through the day.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Accountability Post
    Progress update of my Feb goals.
    Sunday's Progress
    ✔1. Track food/water and submit the completed entries in MFP daily.
    ✔2. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔3. Fiber 30g daily
    4. Walk 30 active Fitbit min daily.
    5. Declutter ✔️clothes, ✔books, papers, office supplies.
    6. In bed by midnight

Partied with DM90 at the kitchen table until about 2am. She had her days/nights mixed up. I think she stayed up until 6am.

Struggling to get my head in the game. Thinking about March goals to step up my game.

-- Ginger in Texas