WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Michelle, this is the closest replica of the machine I can find on Google.

npwcsan4fqj5.png

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Charlene, love your closet organizer.

Knee feels okay today, but man it woke me up in the night when the numbing gel wore off. I'm very hopeful that this is going to fix my problem.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member

Accountability Post Progress update of my Feb goals.
    Yesterday's Progress
    ✔1. Log/COMPLETE the entry daily.
    2. No eating after 9pm.
    3. Fiber 30g daily
    4. Walk 30 active Fitbit min daily.
    5. Declutter ✔clothes, ✔books, papers, office supplies.
    6. In bed by midnight

Okay. This is ridiculous. Get a grip Ginger. Let's assess...
    The good: I'm happy to be drinking my water daily and actually logging everything and completing the full day's entry daily. Books are decluttered. Papers are almost done.
    The bad: But I'm having some late night binging... to feed some anxiety? Not sure why. Need to think about this. A couple of things gnawing at me.
    Next Steps:
    • I'll get my 30 minutes activity today.
    • I'll get 25g fiber minimum.
    • I won't eat after 9pm tonight.
    • I'll be in bed by midnight.

Onward...
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited February 2017
    Today I'm wrapping up loose ends at work. I'm off tomorrow for finger surgery (removal of some type of cyst). Will slow down my typing for a bit, but I peck away with just 2 fingers anyway. I'll be down to just 1 tomorrow B)

queene in PA

Queens, is a digital mucous cyst, also known as a myxoid cyst, you are having removed? I think I have one and am curious about the surgery. It is really bothering me lately.

Chris in MA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Charleen, I love that closet organizer. I believe you said yesterday that it was a hall closet? That is a BIG hall closet. Very jealous!

We were going to drive down to see daughter and family Saturday for a one day trip. It's a long day and Charlie gets quite bored sitting on their couch visiting. But yet he gets bored if we go somewhere. On Saturdays she babysits a 10 year old boy that has autism and ADHD. He is more to handle than her own 10 year old daughter. But she said it would work out. I worried about my back but she called to say that her 15 year old told her today, typical teenager, that her concert choir at school has to go to a near by college for a seminar and concert. It's mandatory. This also is the college that Trinity has in mind that she wants to go to. So she is excited about going. So no trip. But both of us slept real bd last night and I am dragging my butt today. Hopefully the antibiotic will kick in soon and will feel better.

Charlie is off singing at a nursing home tonight so it's just me and the cat watching Project Runway Jr.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    W
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Been reading. Haven't felt up to posting. Still weaning off of the Elavil and the head is a foggy mess these days! But I'm here looking, listening and pondering.

Cheri
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    edited February 2017
    :) Sunny this afternoon. Horses were standing in the pasture enjoying the warm. I have done well on eating and getting in my steps today. A vocal group in Monroe that was disbanded is reforming and needs altos and tenors. I sing alto but don't know if I want to make that commitment. On the other hand I love to sing. Decisions, decisions.

Katiebug - WooHoo for evidence of getting stronger, a wonderful feeling.

Karen - The Arab is a mare named Ruby. She is bay, a gorgeous horse but such a valley girl.

Pip - Glad those knees are looking so much better.

Charleen - The closet organizers are awesome. My best friend lives in Parker. I was talking to her this afternoon and she said the snow had started and was really coming down.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Yvonne and Joyce – Both my sisters are survivors of breast cancer; oldest sister had it the first time when she was 39. I tried my best to talk her of the surgery the plastic surgeon had suggested [main reason is because of a trial for woman who had been through the same surgery and developed gangrene in both breast and had to have them removed, then did not have enough skin to do a 2nd reconstruction]. She had been told by her PS that she would also be getting a ‘tummy tuck’ for free. If I ever get into that situation, I will go the implant solutions.

Joyce – I love movies that are from ‘true stories’. “Hacksaw Ridge” was gory; but, it still was a good movie.
    I know you have to feel a lot better now that you ‘blood count’ has come up.

Becca – Violets like to be pot bound. But, they do occasionally need to have ‘fresh’ soil so their delicate roots can breathe. They don’t like to be overwatered or ‘sit’ in water. When I was dealing with them, I would set their pots down in water and then let them drain really good and poor out any extra water that dripped into the saucer. If it is doing well now; I’d leave it alone. Ask the lady how she took care of it, too. Try not to get water on their leaves … this will also cause brown spots on the leaves. Turn it ¼ turn every month so whatever light it is getting will remain consistent. I had about 12 violets; and, Louis said when I was ‘in the hospital’ for 3 weeks, they ALL bloomed like crazy. I wish he had taken a picture of them. Also, if you ‘do’ repot it; don’t put any more dirt up the stalk than it sits now. Sometimes it will put out ‘new’ plants, which you should take off, because it will drain the violet you have. They can be potted; try to find a ‘small’ pot for them to go it, if you do.

Karen – I love violets, too. I might try to get back into it this Spring. I just have not really had the space to deal with them. I’m going to put some sheers up in my porch so I will have some filters light.

Heather – I don’t like raisins – Period. I will buy something if it has cran-raisins. They’re good; but, a regular raisin just doesn’t cut it with me.

Speaking of ‘movies’ … we generally just wait until the come out on DVDs. Going out for a movie can set you back a good bit. Getting it, not so bad; but, the popcorn, cokes (water) are outrageous. I’ll bring a big bag; and, put snacks in it.

Carol – It’s been a long time since I’ve gone back to ‘hometown’. The closest I get is Macon. But, it is strange to see the Methodist Church where our home once stood.

Charleen – The closet organizer looks great. What I need for my closet is to have two rods instead of one; but, then ‘where would I put my shoes’?

Becca – DH is ‘self-employed’ for we end up paying some each year. We’re lucky if we break even on State taxes.

Marcelyn – Oldest son has a head full of black hair with gray speckled throughout it; youngest son is getting bald quickly. During the summer he allowed Tami to ‘buzz it’ which she had just done when he got an awful case of the Shingles. Up the side of his head, over the top; up his chin and in his mouth. AWFUL!!! Had the vaccination after that to ‘hopefully’ not have a case nearly as bad. Oldest son had it around his side.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    B)
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    jolenec1 wrote: »
    Ok so has anyone else had this happen? I am working out at the gym and some at home on my off days. The day after I work out, I feel horrible. But the next after that day I am better. Plus, I am watching my calories and logging my food, but this week I have been really hungry...to the point that my stomach is growling and grumbling (which makes for interesting looks at me during meetings, lol). My insurance provides a health coach, and she says I need to increase my calories up to 2000 for the day for a while. I don't think I need to do that. I am wondering if my body is just rebelling against the changes I have made in the last few weeks.

Any opinions??

When I first began exercising regularly I would be ravenous the next day. I attributed it to my body needing extra fuel. I would eat a bit more, mostly protein. I don't know what your calorie goal per day is, but mine is pretty low, I'm not even 5'4", eating 2000 calories would be over 500 calories extra. I would have an egg, or some cheese or yogurt or almonds, maybe 200 calories more. Your daily calorie goal may be higher than mine so 2000 may be justified. Eventually my body adjusted and I rarely get ravenous any more. Don't go hungry, if you do you won't stick to your plan and you may wind up binging to worse, giving up.

Hope this helps.

Chris in MA
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.17min, 14.4amph, 141mhr, 2.9mi = 121c
    apple watch- 110c
    LATERAL MACHINE 30min, lvl8, lat10, 125ahr, 143mhr, 3624strides, 60floors, 3.64miles = 264c
    apple watch- 269c
    bike ride gym 2 dome train station- 6.59min, 145mhr, 11.9amph, 1.3mi = 81c
    apple watch- 56c
    walk station 2 wk- 9.18min, 3.2ap, 143ahr, 124mhr, .4mi = 43c
    apple watch- 42c
    walk wk 2 sta- 8.44min, 3.3ap, 95mhr, .4mi = 37c
    apple watch- 41c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.38min, 8amph, 147mhr, 2.6mi = 203c
    apple watch- 154c

total cal 749
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Katiebug: My trainer used to call that machine the Roman Chair. There is one in our condo gym and I have slowly worked up to 15 knee lifts.

Heather: I also made the Skinnytaste unstuffed cabbage bowls tonight. Did use raisins, and also added chili to mine. Leftovers in the freezer. :) Hope you got more of your memoire done.

Michele: Your time in Florida sounds as busy and active as your life in NC. New DVDs -- we know you'll try 'em.

Karen
    : Continuing prayers and good wishes for Olivia. o:)

Barbie: I hope the vet finds the cause and lasting solution to Sasha's leg issue.

About hair...count me among the naturally "salt and pepper" crowd. I do splurge on some products which help with luster and conditioning. And, the flat iron is my friend. B)

My appetite today was off the charts. I'll chalk it up to the sudden drop in temperature and re-emergence of winter.

Can't wait to be in Oklahoma City next week. Will meet Janetr on Monday!!

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • loseweightbb
    loseweightbb Posts: 36 Member
    Hello everyone. Hope those of you having difficulties find peace & less stress soon. Congrats to everyone finding success on the scale or other non-scale accomplishments.

I was really hopeful that I'd use being off from work this week to get in lots of exercise & lose a bunch of wt, but I've been just going up & down the same 1/2 lb for several days now. Also haven't exercised every day or log all meals all the time, either. Did so during the day, but then slacked off in the evening a couple of days. I did make reasonable food choices, but didn't bother to log it. Oh well. Back on track today.

The weather's been great for a couple of days, with temps in the 50's - maybe even hit 60 today. Unfortunately, it won't last for long - forecast is for high of 31 again this wkend & rainy (better than snow) & snow (ugh) again a few days next wk. Just hope it's not a significant amount. It is, of course, still only Feb. & it's not uncommon for us to still have the snow in April. Although, the past couple of years we've had less than many yrs past (global warming, likely??). Most yrs, I've shoveled snow off my flower beds during April break from school, but past 2 yrs it melted by end of March.

Felt so nice to go outside a bunch the past couple of days. Even just walking out on the deck in the early morning felt great. Have been hibernating all winter - esp. since it's been very cold much of the time (which really bothers my asthma) & been sick with cold or bronchitis at times. When working, it's also been dark when I leave & again by the time I get home. Nice to be off work & have decent weather at least some of it to get outside. We even have some grass to walk on - just where hubby had made a path in the back yard with the snowblower for the dogs - surrounded by about 2-3 ft of snow (or more where it's been piled up), but at least there's some green stuff. It's a start.

Eager to have spring & flowers, so I shoveled snow off my raised flower beds today to help them along. Have lots of perennial beds all around the property, but too many to do all of them, plus the snow's too deep to get to most of them. The raised bed is next to the sidewalk between garage & driveway & house, along a fence. It's about 25 ft or so long & wraps around both sides of the fence.

Hubby took a day off today, too & we also worked on cleaning out the garage a bit since it was warm out. He took my car & his truck to wash off the salt & grime, too - needed it badly. Also shoveled the snow under daughter's swingset & hung up a swing for her today. Started to rain later in the afternoon, so hubby & I decided to watch a bit of recorded tv show together. I kept falling asleep & debated just staying on the couch, but am happy to say that I pushed myself to get up & go do an hr on the treadmill instead. Was a struggle at 1st, but so glad I did. Would've been really easy to just be lazy, but reminded myself that I wasn't happy about not getting in the exercise every day this wk like I'd planned, so didn't want today to be another day it didn't happen. Hopefully it'll show up on the scale tomorrow, too. Decided to keep dinner simple today, too - told hubby I didn't really care what we had & I was going to go exercise about that time. So he just made daughter something & he had leftover pulled pork we had yesterday. When I got done exercising, I showered & then just had some yogurt & made a tuna sandwich, but then was full so only ate 1/2 of it & saved rest for tomorrow's lunch. That's progress for me - in the past, I would've just eaten the whole thing whether I was really hungry or not, plus would've had chips along with it. Had a sandwich for lunch & thought (for a second) about having some chips with it, but chose baby carrots instead.

Taking daughter to movies tomorrow along with a friend & his mom. Gonna make sure I do my exercise in the morning 1st. They might want to also go to McD's for lunch if we go at that time. If we do, I'll just either have a salad (no dressing - don't like it anyway) or grilled chicken plain (what I usually have at fast food place - which I rarely even go to). Daughter won't eat apples, so I'll eat the ones that come with her meal, too. No popcorn at the movies, too - just water.

Gotta go - really shouldn't be on computer this late or won't be able to sleep. Having some acid indigestion, so will likely have some trouble sleeping anyway. Oh well.

Best wishes to all. Some advice from another ebook read today: Even what seem like tiny steps - choosing one healthier food over an unhealthy one, getting even a few minutes of exercise or more movement within the day - over time lead to more & more of them & add up to big progress. Better to make little improvements more slowly that become ongoing habits we can stick to than force ourselves to make drastic changes all at once that are difficult to sustain. Celebrate even the tiny achievements. Don't let the little setbacks or small movement in the scale get in the way.

-- Becky (NY) <3:)
  • pipcd34
    w
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Went to dinner with friends who used to live in Hickory Had a grilled chicken breast and instead of the fries substituted sugar snap peas, no bun, only water to drink and for dessert only a cup of tea. It just annoys me that if I get fries, I get so many that they’re falling off the plate. Yet, I got a small amount of sugar snap peas. Oh well…the fries are cheaper, I know.

Barbie – good thoughts for Sasha

Drkatiebug – Oh, like a captain’s chair. Now I get it. Thanks

Janetr – can you get any meaner???? Lol

Vince is talking more and more about selling the condo in a year or two. I honestly love coming down here, being able to bring the cats. I don’t want to sell it, I’m trying to come up with a reason why we shouldn’t. When they were talking about building the mall across the street from the mall, I used that (when the mall is built the value of the condo will go up). Well, I didn’t think they’d be so fast getting it up. I figured it would be easily 4 or 5 more years. Now what to do?

Re – Vince worked for the same company for over 30 years. They gave him such a good retirement package because he was one of the highest paid associates.

Can’t really understand it, it’s so humid down here yet I seem to have to be pushing to get water in. Fortunately, this weekend is supposed to be gorgeous.

Becky – good plan for McD’s

Off to take a shower.

Michele from NC in wonderful FL
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    Thanks for the good luck wishes Michele

Lanette- very itchy scalp when getting hair dyed is usually allergy related. I'm allergic to just about everything and allergies developed into allergic asthma about 10 years ago. About 4 years ago, my scalp felt burned from the dye and itchy for about a week after (about 3 shampoo cycles).  A very good friend is my hair dresser and I asked her if she would wash and rinse with COLD water after the dyeing process - my thought process was warm water opens rather than closes the scalp pores and hair cuticles (is that the right word?), but COLD closes them. So every four weeks I get a pamper and catch up with fun talk with a great friend right up until the moment that cold water gets on my warm scalp.  I have to admit that over time, I've come to almost enjoy the contrast!  It is invigorating at least. And no more burning and itchiness. The price of 'beauty'.  Makes me ponder the 'just go gray already' of my previous post even more

Chris in MA- impressive that your knew what was going on with my finger- yes, I'm having a "distal interphalangeal joint arthrotomy and debridement with mucous cyst excision".  My nail is very misshapen by the cyst, which is what got me to the Dr in the first place (who then sent me to the surgeon). Started as a small bump in July and is now embarrassingly large and "in the way".  I'll let you know...

DJ - I use a saline rinse at least once a day- every morning first thing and then after working in yard or if there is alot of pollen (NeilMed, which has a bottle, not a neti pot but only because my allergist gave a free sample pack and that's what I got used to - it takes a bit of practice to get the correct angle).  Even on days I think I don't need it, I use anyway. It helps immensely with congestion and I don't get as many headaches -always a blessing. Love the Japanese method of decluttering-I'll have to try that ;)

queene in PA