Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 are you against labeling per se, or are they just something you don't feel the need for?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Labels I've found offensive include "Fat-Free" on Jell-O packages. It's a marketing ploy with no useful information for the consumer.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I just started on the last season of The Americans, and it just so happens its about the Americans starting to develop GMO grains. Of course the Russians think that they are creating something to destroy the world and how the GMOs are horrible for the world. Very good and interesting watch.

Loved that thread in the series. Very timely and highlights how damaging a skewed perspective can be.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Labels I've found offensive include "Fat-Free" on Jell-O packages. It's a marketing ploy with no useful information for the consumer.

Jolly Ranchers and Twizzlers are also fat free.

I have in front of me a bottle of water that is labelled
    Gluten Free
    Lactose Free
    Vegan
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Aaargh! That just drives me nuts, @stanmann571
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    certified non-GMO labels don't bother me anymore than other marketing puffery like "handmade" or "artisan." It's just marketing.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Certified organic beef caused a big stir here in Alberta.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/earls-alberta-beef-q-a-certified-humane-1.3559229
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Jolly Ranchers and Twizzlers are also fat free.

I have in front of me a bottle of water that is labelled
    Gluten Free
    Lactose Free
    Vegan

Please tell me the manufacturer is trying to be ironic...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Opinion piece on DDT and malaria and Rachel Carson: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-rachel-carson-cost-millions-of-people-their-lives

I haven't researched it enough to have an opinion, but I do know some who have and agree with the author, so it's a view I give some credibility (with the understanding that I would need to look into it more).

I would argue the opposite, though. By restricting DDT use in agriculture, DDT remains effective against mosquitoes for longer periods of time, because it slows the acquisition of DDT resistance in mosquito populations. Overuse of pesticides greatly shortens the time to acquire for the pest population to acquire immunity, in exactly the same way that overuse of antibiotics shortens the time for the emergence of antibiotic-resistant pathogens.

DDT is still used for malaria control in the malaria-heavy regions of the world, but now it's being used by organizations that are weighing the pros of killing mosquitoes today against the cons of accelerating DDT resistance among tomorrow's mosquito population and attempting to find the overall optimal strategy, versus using DDT commercially and trying to improve their bottom line regardless of the long-term health impacts.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    So, I've learned a lot here on these forums. One thing I'm very curious about but haven't seen any discussion on yet is GMOs. What do you think? Are GMOs bad for us?

No it's not. Unless the plant has become toxic.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    No. GMO is such a loosely defined term that by definition, all nectarines, avocados, bananas, and watermelons are GMO via human interference. Everything living is a GMO, unless it's a clone.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0
    Selective breeding =/= gene splicing.

I avoid all GMO foods as best I can, because I don't trust that genetic modifications are being done for my benefit, they are being done with a profit motive and that can and has led to shortcuts being taken, negative results being covered up etc. I don't eat corn or soy or any of their derivatives to begin with and I rarely eat packaged or processed foods so I'm not likely to run across any GMO foods anyway.

So no avocados, bananas or nectarines for you... They are so delicious.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Humans have been modifying food for thousands of years. GE is just another tool to do what we've been doing all.that time.

In general, GE is more targeted and more accurate than conventional breeding. It's also more tightly regulated than conventional breeding. The end result is that gmo is at least as safe, if not safer than conventional breeding
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The "organic" labelled ruby red grapefruit is a GMO food, the technique used was blasting a tonne of grapefruit seeds with radiation forcing mutation, planting them and seeing what grew, and if it tasted good and added a new twist sell it.

No stringent safety testing was ever demanded or done.

On the other hand, foods currently called GMO are only a subset of foods modified using 3 out of the 5 methods and are the MOST TESTED CONSUMER PRODUCTS EVER.

For someone to convince me GM makes food less safe, they would have to explain to me how transplanting on to five genes is somehow more dangerous then say hybridization which essentially mixes 30+ million genes from two separate subspecies.

In the first case, we can pinpoint only the feature we want, in the latter we just hope for the best. In the first case the end product is rigorously tested, in the later its a total free for all.

Not to mention some GM foods do not actually add genes, they simply turn off a gene, such as the new arctic apple, which prevents it from rotting so soon like regular apples.

The only arguments I have ever seen against GMO are the typical antigovernment, anti agri, anti pharma conspiracy theories and selected examples numbering in the single digits pulled from the millions of safe useful products we all enjoy.

Or conflation with other conspiracy theories about Monsanta etc... Meanwhile there are metastudy reviews compiling research from 10s of thousands of studies that show with perfect consistently GM technology is safe.

What really gets under my skin about all this GMO fear mongering and LIES out of either ignorance or malice is that GM technology is our VERY BEST hope to cure many diseases including cancer, and our very best hope to create transplant-able human organs, directly saving lives.

Yes "science" sometimes, occasionally, gets things wrong, but conspiracy theories are wrong a good 99.5% of the time, and the .05% of the time they are right is pretty much equal to a broken clock being right twice a day.

Louder for the people in the back. Bolded for emphasis.