Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My point is, not too long ago prepackaged meat was "disgusting" because of the fears of contamination. Modern technologies have put those fears to rest, so packaged meat is now "normal".

Engineered meat is very new, and comes with a built in "ew" factor. I can see a day however, where people will consider a little gristle or skin on their meat to be disgusting, and prefer "grown" meat over slaughtered. Never mind the ethical considerations.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Now if we can stop waving our degree-dicks around and just back up what we are saying with information or statements that the general readership can understand I think that'd be appreciated by everyone else. Pardon my language but it is just gross to just throw up your education and point to it like that is your argument and then act all smug about it.

This. ^^^

And thank you.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Now if we can stop waving our degree-dicks around and just back up what we are saying with information or statements that the general readership can understand I think that'd be appreciated by everyone else. Pardon my language but it is just gross to just throw up your education and point to it like that is your argument and then act all smug about it.

This. ^^^

And thank you.

^^ Seconded.

Well said, Aaron. As always, you provide valuable insight and knowledge. Thank you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My point is, not too long ago prepackaged meat was "disgusting" because of the fears of contamination. Modern technologies have put those fears to rest, so packaged meat is now "normal".

Engineered meat is very new, and comes with a built in "ew" factor. I can see a day however, where people will consider a little gristle or skin on their meat to be disgusting, and prefer "grown" meat over slaughtered. Never mind the ethical considerations.

You might be right. Time will tell.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Logic and reason, now cut that out. It's not allowed at MFP.

If credentials are important to you then I have a Ph.D. in molecular biology, I have genetically engineered products myself which have gone into human clinical trials. I am familiar with the tecniques and have at least read up on the ones that the public happens to hate on (ie Monsanto ones such as the introduction of a bacterial shikimate pathway shunt to crops (ie round-up ready) and the one that induced production of an delta-endotoxin in crop plants (BT) neither of which are actually dangerous to humans although one might argue from an enviornmentalist or coroporate power perspective I suppose.

The important point here though is that genetic engineering is just a tool, you cannot evaluate the safety profile of a product solely based on what tools were used in its production. It would be like deciding that you were really concerned about the safety of a specific product that was built using a hammer and therefore cautioned everyone about the potential dangers of hammer-made products. There is nothing inherently dangerous about genetic engineering or products that are made in part utilizing genetically engineering...I think that is the most salient point. The anti-GMO movement is classic fear mongering relying on the old trope of "well we can't know for sure if it is safe" which is a empty statement given it could be said about literally anything and still arguably be true.

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I read this as "GNOs" as in girls night out and was thinking, no they're great!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Lets say there was a human disease out there that was caused by the lack of production of a particular protein that circulates in the blood. Humans that didn't produce this protein had to do severe dietary restrictions or face debilitating conditions or even death. Even with the dietary restrictions life was likely to be shortened and come with some debilitating issues.

Clearly if we could just provide these people with the protein they were missing as an injectable they could just inject it regularly and lead a fairly normal life. But how do you get enough of the protein to do that...you can't exactly practically harvest it from humans themselves? Perhaps a closely related species like a farm animal like pigs you could harvest a related protein from their blood and try that. It might work but in a lot of cases it might cause an antibody response as it is a foreign protein and even if it works it would require a lot of animal product which would be quite expensive to produce.

What if, instead, we could take the genetic code for the human protein and put it into bacteria so that the bacteria produced the protein. We could then grow the bacteria very cheaply in huge vats and then harvest and purify the human protein from that. Then we could produce the actual human protein rather than an animal surrogate and we could mass produce it cheaply to be able to supply everyone who suffered from the disease. Of course there would be high standards for purity of the purified protein product and formulation of the injectable and of course there would be the standard clinical tests for safety and efficacy. Would that type of thing be worth trying? Would that sort of product be okay or would that also be too dangerous to even attempt?

What if I told you what I just described wasn't a hypothetical...I was describing the production of insulin for the treatment of diabetes.

But harvesting tonnes of pig pancreas' is so much more natural and must be better for me then the ebil GMOs! :D But if you go to my website, I have an all vegan, raw, organic juicing diet plan that will reverse your diabetes in 6 weeks! Sooner if you buy my supplements!

It peeves me to no end that most of the fear of GE products is created just so people can sell a product. Whether that product is a diet plan, an organic potato or a political agenda doesn't matter.

In the end, the only way I see a GMO being bad for you is if Jurassic world came to life. I don't want an Indominus Rex rolling around my neighbourhood.