What are you all doing to burn so much?

Options
2»

Replies

• TwistedLiquid
    Options
    wow, and I thought I was working hard.LOL

The fitness game I'm doing has about 30 to 40 min areobics, then a set of crunches, and it alternates between lower body and upper body on days. I just thought with 60 min, it would be more than 230 cals. My weight is at 174 currently and I'm 5' 4". I feel like I'm getting leaner but my scale says another thing. I know I'm not suppose to watch the scale but it's gotta give sometime right?

Also, it has a lot of squats and lunges with weights, which I only have 3 lbs weights, but those feel like a lot for me, my question is...is that exercise considered strength training? Are push ups also?

I dont believe thats strength training. Strength training is when you increase the weights for your muscles to get stronger I think you are toning. 3lb weights may not be enough if your hitting a plateau. Increase your weights just a bit and keep your heart rate up do some jumping jax or jump rope before the game. If you wanna go cheap on weights just fill up some empty gallons with water. 1 gallon = 8 pounds
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I play about 3 to 5 hours of doubles sand volleyball.

On here I put it in as 60 to 90 minutes of playing ball and 120 to 150 minutes of walking at 2 mph.
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Definitely the type of exercise you do has an impact.

I do 20 minutes on the elliptical (but then my feet fall asleep and I have to get off and get the blood flowing again) on interval and that burns about 280 and then on the next 20 minutes I do a higher level and that burns at 320. I then do 300 steep steps on on the stair machine and that's about another 40 calories, or so.

I find when I'm on the bike the calories go by slower for the same amount of work. Also, when using a machine, make sure you put your weight in.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Heh, I do a horrible, evil program I call my Military workout. It's brutal, lasts an hour, and leaves me gasping and weak legged, but it burns a heck of a lot of calories (between 900 and 1000). The downside is that it's high impact on not only the lower body but the shoulders, arms, back, and core muscles. My routine shouldn't be attempted by anyone who is at least at a mid-level of fitness and has no existing injuries. If you can't do 30 minutes running briskly on the tred mill, you can't do this routine.

If you want it, I posted it on here, I can go dig it up for you, as a matter of fact, I should probably bump it because I haven't posted to it in a while and I'm curious how some of the others on here are doing with it.

-Banks
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you happy with the success you're having with your routine? If so, I wouldn't worry about what others are doing compared to yourself.

I'm not familiar with the X-Box exercise routines so I'm going to guess that It's probably the type(s) of exercises people are doing versus what you're doing. I personally do 60 minutes on a ski machine, 25 minutes of weight training and another 15 minutes of other exercises my biggest calorie consumption is the ski machine and the level of resistance that I do it at. Others will probably have similar inputs.

Whether you do more each day is up to you and how long you've been into an exercise program but if you're just getting started I would suggest that you gradually increase the duration and / or the intensity of your workouts.

Well said. Overtraining is one of the most common causes of exercise burnout for those who are new to working out.

That being said, there are lots of things that add up to more calories. Elliptical, stationary bike or circuit training are all good options. But, only if your fitness level and health allow.

Even ten minutes of weight training three times a week will show you results. :flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I would eat 700-1000 "healthy" calories every day if i worked out like that. I try to burn at least 300 calories/day. I do DVDs during the week - cardio, yoga, kickboxing - and walking/jogging on the weekends. Some weekends I go hiking or bowling or dancing and count that as exercise.

The days I jog I burn 400-500 calories and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, YIPPEE! for jogging, but on the other hand, now what do I eat for those extra calories??
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    You can't forget that I may do the same exercise in the same amount of time as you but burn more, or less, calories then you. It's all based on your weight and fitness. The more fit I have become over the past few months the less calories I burn...even from the same exercise that I used to do. In other words I used to run 3 miles daily and burn about 450 calories. Now to burn 450 calories I need to run 4.5 miles or run at a faster pace, or a different, more challenging path (hills...etc)

I think Reston said it the best. Weight loss is a marathon that you run yourself. Just do whatever is best for you and as another poster said (sorry, I don't remember who) whatever you can fit into a daily routine so that you don't burn out!

Good Luck. No matter how quickly or slowly you achieve it, as long as we are following our plan and exercising we will all end up at the same finish line....our own personal goal.

By the way...keep up the good work. You need to give yourself credit for the simple fact that you are exercising and burning some calories on a regular basis!
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I don't know how I would eat 700-1000 "healthy" calories every day if i worked out like that. I try to burn at least 300 calories/day. I do DVDs during the week - cardio, yoga, kickboxing - and walking/jogging on the weekends. Some weekends I go hiking or bowling or dancing and count that as exercise.

The days I jog I burn 400-500 calories and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, YIPPEE! for jogging, but on the other hand, now what do I eat for those extra calories??

I completely agree! Sometimes it creates mixed feelings when you're working so hard to burn calories, then you have to worry about what you're going to eat! I find it pretty ironic that we have to eat more to lose weight when we're exercising! I love it!
  • ToLoveMe
    ToLoveMe Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I have no problem doing aerobic type workouts but when it comes to jumping jacks or running or jogging, My legs cannot hold up! I don't give out of breath, it's my legs that give out! I'm trying to do more here and there but I'm not seeing an increase in my ability to perform these tasks. I guess I need to try and build that up and that way I can burn more!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

I completely agree! Sometimes it creates mixed feelings when you're working so hard to burn calories, then you have to worry about what you're going to eat! I find it pretty ironic that we have to eat more to lose weight when we're exercising! I love it!

Oh there are ways. :tongue: