What do you do with frozen veggies?

Options
124»

Replies

• dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Don't they get all mushy from all the water? How do you do it?

No. you let them defrost fully. wrap them in paper towel, gently squeeze out access water and roast.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Any other ideas? I use peas and carrots when I make shepherd's pie. Other than that, I'm pretty stumped.

<3 using frozen broccoli for pizza, and frozen peppers and zucchini for quesadillas and omelets. Oh! and peas for green salads.
  • rdc1913
    rdc1913 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    California blend is my favorite go to frozen veggies. I cook them many ways. My favorite is toss them in olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning, put in foil packet, and place them on outdoor grill along with your meats. Very flavorful! Take the tips from everyone above. You have to experiment.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Also, experiment with different seasonings to make them not bland.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I stir fry them in cooking spray with different seasonings or sauces or I use seasonal fresh since the in season fresh vegetables are less expensive and shop the loss leaders for fresh.

I also have to wonder how vegetables can't be worth calories on your calorie budget, OP.

Because I don't like them, lol!

What kind of sauces do you use?

I don't know, even when I season them... I don't enjoy them. It's annoying.

Sweet n sour sauce, low calorie Italian dressing and soy sauce are my go to sauces for veggies. I'll also do scrambled eggs with frozen broccoli and shredded co-jack cheese once in a while and then I add hot sauce or salsa.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I roast frozen broccoli. I just put it in the oven frozen and cook it. It isn't mushy. Not sure about every frozen vegetable but roasted frozen broccoli didn't get mushy for me.

This has to be a difference of opinion on the definition of "mushy". Frozen broccoli is mushy if you nothing other than thaw it.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So this might be weird but in addition to stirfrys and soups that people mentioned I use frozen veggies in smoothies a lot. I like broccoli and carrots for this especially. Spinach and sweet potatoes also work well!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    glennagael wrote: »
    So this might be weird but in addition to stirfrys and soups that people mentioned I use frozen veggies in smoothies a lot. I like broccoli and carrots for this especially. Spinach and sweet potatoes also work well!

Frozen spinach and kale work great in green smoothies :)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I only use them in soup and and I make my own dog food so frozen peas and carrots go in that as well.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've noticed there's a lot of pre-seasoned veggie blends and stuff available, often in microwaveable bags. They're a little pricey but they are often much more tasty than the same old peas in butter.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also...there's nothing that says you have to eat cooked veggies as a full grown adult. If you prefer things fresh or in something like a nice soup, they are still veggies. Texture of vegetables can be off-putting.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use frozen peppers and onions all the time. I throw them right in the frying pan with some pam spray and use them with fajitas, omelets, pizza, burgers. I've also roasted frozen red peppers with potato chunks, yummy. I mix frozen peas in with pasta dishes (creamy sauces) and with rice pilaf. They come out fine, no mush.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    toss them in the crock pot with beef tips, and sauce- they end up tasting like the meat.
  • lythia77
    lythia77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fried rice or stir fry, add to pasta dishes, make a cheese sauce for them, steamed spinach w/ canned garlic diced tomatoes w/ cheese on top is good, peas & cauliflower ranch salad, make soups. Just be creative and try different things out, if you don't like it then you know for later on not to try it that way again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lythia77 wrote: »
    Fried rice or stir fry, add to pasta dishes, make a cheese sauce for them, steamed spinach w/ canned garlic diced tomatoes w/ cheese on top is good, peas & cauliflower ranch salad, make soups. Just be creative and try different things out, if you don't like it then you know for later on not to try it that way again.

Yeah but if I was creative I wouldn't be asking here, lol.

Good ideas so far though!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love vegetables. Although fresh is almost always tastier, frozen can be pretty good too.

I'd marinated some fresh chicken breast and roasted it with fresh mushrooms and (still frozen) broccoli at 400. The broccoli didn't come out mushy at all, and it absorbed some of the flavor of the marinade (lemon garlic). The mushrooms and broccoli were my fav parts of the meal actually.

I like veggies so much though that for me even nuking some frozen cauliflower and topping it with hot sauce and good butter is tasty nom noms.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This thread got me craving veggies bad. :D So I just microwaved some frozen broccoli, using chicken stock for the liquid instead of water (just a whim, not my usual). I topped it with some butter, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and garlic powder.

Simply Organic has really good garlic powder btw.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I always eat lunch after my lunchtime walk, and often find myself really looking forward to (craving?) my steamed veggies. :)