Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Battery drain

comptonelizabethcomptonelizabeth Posts: 1,486Member Member Posts: 1,486Member Member
In the past couple of weeks my battery has been draining really quickly. Looking on applications manager it seems that mfp is the main culprit! Any solutions? It's an android Samsung galaxy

Replies

• KimCarbdashianKimCarbdashian Posts: 34Member Member Posts: 34Member Member
    It's happening on iOS too.

On my phone in the last 24 hours MFP has had 24 minutes of onscreen activity and 11 mins of background activity (which is interesting because I turned off background refresh for all apps). In that time, it used 27% of my battery.

There isn't another app on my phone which even comes close to that much battery for so little time. I lose an approximately 1% of battery life per minute using this app.
  • comptonelizabethcomptonelizabeth Posts: 1,486Member Member Posts: 1,486Member Member
    Yes I've been watching mine too and it's draining it at a similar rate. The only other app that does it is Facebook and I uninstalled it for that reason.
    My battery drains overnight when I'm not using it!
  • comptonelizabethcomptonelizabeth Posts: 1,486Member Member Posts: 1,486Member Member
    Update: it has also eaten through my data this month- and I have 8gb of data! Uninstalling it now and will have to access it via my browser
    It could be that, but that's less of a problem on android.
    Anyway I've now uninstalled the app on my phone - I still have it on my iPad. It's annoying having to use the browser on my phone to log in, but not half as annoying as having no data allowance left with 10 days to go before it resets!
  • rcoull75rcoull75 Posts: 47Member Member Posts: 47Member Member
    Basically to me this is just another useless feature added.

100% agree. I hate this new feature! I spend ages each day just deleting notifications.

They need to have this as an option you can turn off.

They need to fix existing app issues before adding new features that cause more bugs and user unhappiness!
    I had zero issues with this app for several years. The addition of the notification bell in December is the cause. It still hasn't been resolved after two months of complaints from users on this forum and support tickets.
  • richardgavelrichardgavel Posts: 818Member Member Posts: 818Member Member
    So does turning off all the notifcations help? Also, I'm wondering how much of this is all the ads.
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Posts: 4,735Member Member Posts: 4,735Member Member
    I'm pretty sure you can turn off all notifications from the browser version in settings.
    You can turn them all off on the app but they still keep coming!
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Posts: 4,735Member Member Posts: 4,735Member Member
    I don't get any when they are turned off, nor do I get any badge notifications (Samsung Galaxy S6). According to my battery usage info it's only using 4% and not noticed any issues with it.
    I'm pretty sure you can turn off all notifications from the browser version in settings.

Unfortunately those are not the same notifications.

This only occurs in the app, not the browser. These notifications appear under the little bell in the upper left corner of your newsfeed on the phone/tablet app. They're turned on by default and cannot be turned off. Exercises from friends, post replies, post likes... all of the stuff I that I unchecked still shows up under that little bell. Which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't slow down the app every time a new notification came in. The more friends you have, the worse it is.
  • CafeRacer808CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,425Member Member Posts: 2,425Member Member
    Update: it has also eaten through my data this month- and I have 8gb of data! Uninstalling it now and will have to access it via my browser

My data and battery drain issues were solved by turning off "Newsfeed Video Auto-Play" under Settings/Sharing&Privacy/Ad Settings.

That said, the app is virtually unresponsive on my iPhone. Every action I take outside of the Forums causes a 15-30 second hang. Even when I'm just opening the app, I'm greeted with a blank screen for 15-20 seconds, followed by my newsfeed which remains unresponsive for another 10-15 seconds before I can start scrolling through it.

I too believe that all of this is caused by the new notification system the developers implemented in December. The app is virtually unusable for me at this point, and I've started using the web interface. This obviously isn't ideal, but until Tech Support responds to my service request, it's the only option i have.

I'm so glad I'm not a paid subscriber, because the MFP mobile app is horse *kitten*.
    Sometimes the forums take so long to load that it gets "timed out"
    Since uninstalling the app my battery has been fine - I miss the app though!
  • CafeRacer808CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,425Member Member Posts: 2,425Member Member
    Sometimes the forums take so long to load that it gets "timed out"
    Since uninstalling the app my battery has been fine - I miss the app though!

Thankfully, I haven't had that problem. But yeah, I miss the app as well. That MFP doesn't seem to be aggressively addressing this issue is very frustrating.
  • gotblues66gotblues66 Posts: 58Member Member Posts: 58Member Member
    Major battery drain here too. On Android. It's the only app I have that can take my battery down so quickly