Cheap and easy lunch ideas

2»

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I love soup for lunch. Make a big pot for dinner a couple nights a week and have the leftovers for lunch. You can even portion it out into containers as you are putting it away. Prepping everything the night before then cooking it in a crockpot while at work is a time saver. When slow cooking you can use cheaper, less tender cuts of meat and dried beans and grains to save some cash.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    bugsy380 wrote: »
    Your could always use leftovers from the night before

That's what I do! My recipes generally serve four. I have one serving for dinner, my son has two servings, and the fourth is next day's lunch.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2017
    I usually do tilapia or grilled/rotisserie chicken for my meat and green beans, cabbage, cauliflower or squash for my veggie for lunch. I do them all in the oven or on my george foreman grill at once mostly.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ok... I have posted this so many times that it should be a sticky by now lol ;)
    Go to your fav supermarket.
    Buy: Rotiserrie chicken + bag of rice of choice + big tub of mixed salad..

I can't comment from all stores but some of my local shops have been know to inject and pour over fat to keep the chickens moist, so you may want to check if this is done, or you're talking crazy calories.

Personally, I prefer to buy small chicken breaststroke and roast them myself.

But I agree with the main comments about prepping in advance and using left over food.

• MegaTunez11
    MegaTunez11 Posts: 200 Member
    Tacos- Chicken, black beans, onions, lettuce or buy some fresh lean beef and slice it thin.. mix them to.. very quick lunches.. Your welcome :)
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Fruit and yogurt is my staple, quick and easy! I usually do 4 or 8 oz of full fat yogurt, half a banana, and about a cup of melon, berries, and or citrus.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm in the meal prep on Sunday crowd. I do a lot of big salads, rice and veggie bowls and tacos.

Protein - usually in the crock pot (chicken breasts, beef or pork roast) or sometimes a big pot of chili. Or roast a whole chicken in the oven, which I like better than crock pot for the whole bird.
    Grain - quinoa, rice, polenta, millet or a combo.
    Veggies - lots of greens and assortment of whatever is on sale. Chop or slice to your liking and put in containers or zip-locs.

For a meal just throw a combo all together in a bowl and add some dressing, yogurt or salsa or eat in a taco. Lots of variety. I often heat the meat and grain together and just add to the veggies. I like the hot/cold temperatures together.

ETA: I do like the rotisserie chickens, but also have some concerns about whatever is injected in them to make them so juicy and delicious. If I roast a chicken myself it still turns out nice and juicy but I know what's been added. After I pick the bird clean, then I make chicken bone broth with the bones. I save the broth for myself, blend the bones into a paste and save for my dogs.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    I like 1 slice of toasted Ezekiel bread (personal fave is the cinnamon raisin since it has some sweetness to it which helps my cravings) with natural peanut butter, carrots dipped in hummus, and a baby bell cheese round.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Ok... I have posted this so many times that it should be a sticky by now lol ;)
    Go to your fav supermarket.
    Buy: Rotiserrie chicken + bag of rice of choice + big tub of mixed salad..

I can't comment from all stores but some of my local shops have been know to inject and pour over fat to keep the chickens moist, so you may want to check if this is done, or you're talking crazy calories.

Personally, I prefer to buy small chicken breaststroke and roast them myself.

But I agree with the main comments about prepping in advance and using left over food.

No its not fat. Its the juices that come out of every single chicken that came of off rotiserrie and is sitting down on a dish, plate or in a box. Now whether your chickens get injected with salt solutions, well ask the store manager or the cooks at the counter. Read the labels.

Yep - injected .....or marinated in a brine solution.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I do meal prep or leftovers. The latter more often. It's cheap, usually healthy, and tastes better than most microwaved sludge.