Valentine's day

124»

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2017
    ccems1634 wrote: »
    I did my exercises, cleaned the house, played mommy and enjoyed a 600 calorie dinner. Got my hubby candy (he doesn't worry about calories) and he bought me a movie haha. He said he would have bought me candy but he didn't want to hurt my weight loss goal. He knows I can't resist chocolate if it's there lol. Such a supportive man!!!!

My boyfriend got me a small heart with only five peices, it was good and only 250 calories so not too bad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,715 Member
    Frankly, widowhood s**ks on days like this. I'm white-knuckling it, just a bit. Tomorrow's another normal day, though, so things'll be fine. Apologies for being a downer!

Truthfully, the only reason I'm outing myself now, is to say this:

Please consider the exact wording of what you post on social media on days like this, and be kind to people who're on a different course.

To say "I love my sweetie and am grateful for him/her" is one thing. To say "Life itself would be intolerable without my DearHeart" . . . makes DearHeart feel good (yes, please, tell him/her in person!). But it makes some of your other friends ache a little extra. We can't help it.

One Christmas, two months after I was widowed, one of my friends Facebooked something this: "Family is what makes life worthwhile!" Kick in the gut. I still love her, but still . . . .

Love and value the people who love you. It's an amazing, wonderful gift.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My husband gave me a bunch of basil from the garden lol We'd both forgotten it was Valentines day, he only remembered because he heard them talking about it on the radio!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited February 2017
    elphie754 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Had a pre-Vday dinner a one of our favorite restaurants 2 weeks ago. Cost me $500.

Don't like going out on Vday - - too busy and limited to fixed menus.

My SO and I are staying home tonight and I'm preparing our favorite at home meal - - 2 steamed dungeness crabs w/ginger sauce, sourdough bread, corn on the cob and a bottle of Domaine Caneros sparkling wine.

Yum!

Sounds amazing.

But $500 dinner?!?!? Holy crap.

Yes, I know it sounds like an extravagant expense but unfortunately it's not out of line for the cost of a dinner at an expensive Michelin Star restaurant these days. Heck, even lunch at a good restaurant costs at least $100 now and I just took her out for one of those this past weekend too.

Anyway, this is about how it breaks down:
    $150 each for 4 courses = $300 plus $100 for a bottle of wine plus $100 for tip and tax. That's $500.

FWIW, it was a great meal. Great service. Very romantic.

We're both over 65 and have been together going on 10 years. Both previously married to others for over 25 years with kids/grandkids of our own and no plans of marrying each other. Taking her out for an expensive dinner now and then is well worth the return in romantic capital.

Just no diamonds or pearls for her this year. LOL!!!

BTW, the steamed crabs tonight were great. Hope those who of you who have someone to celebrate this Hallmark card "holiday" with also had a pleasant and memorable V-Day together today.