It is more than a simple "CICO" - why can't we just admit it?

Options

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Meow. We've all got valid points and as far as I can tell (look it's kriss) is a long term mfp user and her points, discussions and comments are completely valid. Some people just don't like people being forthright, straight up and unfiltered.
  • kq1981
    edited February 2017
    Options
    xd7pna3zrx2t.png
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    She is a grown woman who made a frustrated post about how different people are different. Get over yourself already. You are one of the main ones I see that lurks around on these forums just waiting for someone to post something you can pounce on, correct, and then ride them like a paint horse when they try to explain their meaning and defend what amounts to their own little personally frustrated opinion. I don't do detoxes or cleanses. But, I know that some people, for various health reasons, may lose weight at different rates. So, while it is basically CICO, the equation isn't as simple and static for some as it is for others. Like the OP said, inaccuracies abound in the measurement of CICO. And, sometimes when people get frustrated, what they really need is a sympathetic ear who can offer feedback without the snark.

Oh you got me, i totally spend all day here, lurking.. lol

As i already stated above, I have an eating disorder so i am well aware that its not always "that easy"...
    However, This is a learning experience.. We are not meant to compare our losses to the rate of someone else, our losses are our losses. My friend and I are the same age, weight and height, obviously she and i are not going to lose the same, my job though is to get to know myself and stop focusing on her, when i spend the time learning how my own body works then i can make adjustments to the calories going in as well as the calories going out.

Like i said in the nutrisystem thread, you can't always sugar coat things all the time for people.
    Yes sure, we could all sit here and listen, offer sympathetic sentiments etc, but then what? Whats the person having the struggles going to do after? I believe i did read back some where someone did say to them that people just needed to find their own balance of CICO, was that not acceptable because it didnt agree with the OP and not sound sympathetic enough?

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tom and Hank do require the same energy to digest their food, they have the same chemical process underway.

The girl who didn't lose the same weight might have cheated at work, or maybe runs a degree cooler in her body temp. Each can find their own CICO and work from there.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oh you got me, i totally spend all day here, lurking.. lol

As i already stated above, I have an eating disorder so i am well aware that its not always "that easy"...
    However, This is a learning experience.. We are not meant to compare our losses to the rate of someone else, our losses are our losses. My friend and I are the same age, weight and height, obviously she and i are not going to lose the same, my job though is to get to know myself and stop focusing on her, when i spend the time learning how my own body works then i can make adjustments to the calories going in as well as the calories going out.

Like i said in the nutrisystem thread, you can't always sugar coat things all the time for people.
    Yes sure, we could all sit here and listen, offer sympathetic sentiments etc, but then what? Whats the person having the struggles going to do after? I believe i did read back some where someone did say to them that people just needed to find their own balance of CICO, was that not acceptable because it didnt agree with the OP and not sound sympathetic enough?

Holy geez. I never said I was the ONLY person who was sympathetic, or that there weren't enough sympathizers. Is there an "only one sympathetic person per thread" rule, or what? And, actually I said something along those same lines, is there a rule against that too? Anyway, "We are not meant to compare our losses to the rate of someone else", and yet the CICO formula is exactly that. It says, if you are X, Y, and Z, you should weigh this. And, if you eat A calories and expend B calories, you will lose C amount of weight. All of that is based on someone else with the same stats. And, you're right about the sugar coating thing. But, in my personal opinion, the OP was looking for a sympathetic ear, hence the reason I gave the advice for her to not post stuff like that here. Dang, your horse looks tired, you wanna' borrow my mule?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WOW!!!

5 pages for an acronym that does not even exist. It's a made up word only found in these forums.

And the funny thing is, even if it was a real thing, the people who are too lazy to exercise only use the CI part, and the people think they can control their weight just by exercising only use the CO part. Then it turns into a battle between CI & CO.

There are many funny sayings on these forums.

"weight loss starts in the kitchen" ~so does getting fat~
    "you can't out exercise a bad diet" ~starving yourself is worse~

I know most people don't want to hear this, but if you want to be healthy, you MUST put the work in.

There are no shortcut diets because every one of them are BS.
    There are no shortcut workout plan because every one of them are BS.

You MUST get the recommended exercise, which means you MUST huff and puff and sweat for a certain number of minutes per session and a certain number of sessions per week.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

You MUST eat a nutritious well balanced diet and keep junk food to a minimum.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

You SHOULD NOT have to weigh every gram of food you put in your mouth for the rest of your life.
    You SHOULD be able to eat a cheese steak or a couple slices of pizza here and there without blowing up like a freaking balloon.

THERE IS NO CICO!!!

Only people who are too lazy to put the work in.

For the record, I mean this in a nice way.
  • kq1981
    Options
    Who likes cheese?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Who likes cheese?

I do. I think I'm going to have some now...:)
  • kq1981
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Who likes cheese?

I do. I think I'm going to have some now...:)

Lol:-)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    The calculations work perfectly for me WHEN I stick to them. 50f/peri menopause/partial hysterectomy (3 of the things I thought made me a special snowflake). I lose 2 lbs per week as projected by the calculations.

Now if someone says sticking to your calorie goal is not that simple I could agree wholeheartedly.

I think (baring medical issues) one has to dig deep to see why they are not successful and work at differing methods to stay within the calorie goal.

I've learned from snarky posts as well. Did I get hurt feelings? Sure a couple of times but dang it if you have information that may help me be successful I'm all ears!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Sigh...you still don't get it. "Shut your pie hole" is another way of saying "control your eating". There's really nothing more too weight loss than that...it really is that simple, even if it's "HARD", as you say.

And what does cake have to do with it? I assume you're going to say, "It's hard to turn down a piece of cake." Yeah, that's probably true. But if eating that cake means going over on your calories, the solution is simple: don't eat the cake. Does that make solution easy? Nope.

Sigh. YOU still don't get it. I said NOTHING about anything being easy. It's not hard for ME to turn down a piece of cake, or whatever. I do it all the time. I have to. But I wasn't talking about ME. I was referring to the folks that are overweight and have such a hard time with food...for those people, it IS hard. CLEARLY it is. The OP acted like that was no big deal.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

I think for the average person though.. that IS all there is too it.. There are a lot of people out there who gained weight simply from being slightly over maintenance.. If the OP's opinion was to include everyone and their idiosyncrasies, eating disorders, medical problems Etc.. the post would be so long, none of us would be finished reading it by next year... HOWEVER.. those people who have these issues, once they work on getting them under control with a doctor are back into the "average" person category, in which case.. yeah.. close your mouth and stop eating so much

I am not referring to the science of "how easy it is". I am referring to WILLPOWER. Overweight/obese people don't have it, and have a very hard time with it. Many of them have enablers all around them. It IS hard for people, to stop the overeating. It's really the biggest hurdle to get over. Once you figure it out, and get control, then you are on your way.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    I thought the OP's thread was saying it wasn't that easy also?

"Why does dieting not work, then, if all we have to do is shut our pie holes every in a while? "

That's not how I read this^^.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Sigh. YOU still don't get it. I said NOTHING about anything being easy. It's not hard for ME to turn down a piece of cake, or whatever. I do it all the time. I have to. But I wasn't talking about ME. I was referring to the folks that are overweight and have such a hard time with food...for those people, it IS hard. CLEARLY it is. The OP acted like that was no big deal.

LOL.

Of course it's hard for those people. But that doesn't mean it's not simple. That's the point. Have a good day! :)
This discussion has been closed.