Fish that doesn't taste like poop ideas..

13»

Replies

• NoirePanda811
    NoirePanda811 Posts: 7 Member
    Have you ever tried smoked salmon? Literally the best fish I've ever had, it tastes like fish bacon.
  • kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    bsgraham10 wrote: »
    kwil74 wrote: »
    Having a hard time adding fish in my life..Fish I can kinda eat swai, tilipia, catfish, trout. Fish I cannot eat because it tastes like

All of the fish you mention are freshwater typically farmed fish. They taste like poop because, well, they eat poop all day long.

Try saltwater wild caught fish like Flounder, cod, haddock, mahi, are much better for you and do not taste like poop. Many have suggested salmon but that is a fishy tasting fish for a lot of people I would start with the ones I mention above.

As others have suggested, blackened in a very hot pan for a minute each side. This is always easy! Serve with black beans, pico de gallo, Spanish rice. Or make simple tacos with cole slaw, avocado, chipotle drizzle like here:1xkphrvha4jh.jpg

Man that looks good..And I have not tried fish tacos thats a good idea ty
  • kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    Have you ever tried smoked salmon? Literally the best fish I've ever had, it tastes like fish bacon.

They do have it already smoked at the meat deli..I may try it..It certainly sounds good..Just ruined myself trying to cook Salmon at home..
  • yamahaderek
    yamahaderek Posts: 3 Member

http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/poor-mans-lobster.html
    My family really likes this one, even my 5 year old. It's super easy and fast. I just cut the butter in half.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I used to hate fish, mostly due to the smell. But what swayed me was living in Japan a couple of years and having really good quality raw fish. The fine delicate flavour really won me over. Now I'm a big fan of fish.

Still not a massive fan of Salmon though. It's ok, but I'd rather have trout.
  • amkegs
    amkegs Posts: 11 Member
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

You can substitute salmon for the tuna. They are delish!!!
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    I make my tilapia lightly coated with EVOO and a rub of sea salt and sriracha black pepper. Right before it goes in the oven I give it a light dash of hickory liquid smoke (go easy this stuff is strong). Bake on 350 for 20-22 minutes.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    If you don't like fish, just put it in a blender and drink it as a shake. Problem solved lol
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    I typically stick with Salmon or Cod, but I have tried Mahi, Tilapia, Haddock, etc. Pan-seared is normally a pretty simple route, but I have tried poaching as well which is good. You can add in pepper, lime juice, and other seasonings while it cooks.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Halibut is my favorite non-fishy tasting fish. Beer battered, baked with whatever seasoning you like, on the BBQ, "butt" sandwich on a bun...I could eat it all the time if it wasn't so expensive.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,987 Member
    I surprised you like swai and catfish...I think swai is one of the worst tasting fish around, and I've heard catfish isn't too great unless 'perfectly prepared' (whatever that means). Tilapia is okay, not the best, not the worst...interesting to see the comment about it being a garbage fish.

So, I am a fan of mahi. I get them flash frozen.
    Lately I've been putting the filets in my steamer. I put a slice of lemon down, put the frozen filet on the lemon, put some minced garlic on the fish, and put a slice of lemon on top. Steam it for about 15 minutes...light and flaky and easy peasy.
    I've also done the tin-foil packets, but usually add butter to the packet so the fish doesn't stick (like the parchment paper idea mentioned, which would work in lieu of the butter). Tin foil packets can be used in the oven or on the grill.

I think I've done swordfish via steaming too, but I seem to remember it being a bit 'fishier' than the mahi the last time I did it. I tend to like the fish 'steaks' like swordfish and tuna but I like my tuna cooked through and not raw ahi style. I've never tried to cook salmon myself, but loving some of these recipes, and may have to try a few.

I like flounder too as it has a very light taste, but haven't found a good way to prepare it without battering it and frying it (and I'm too lazy to fry fish these days as I hate to clean up the oil splatters).

I tend to shy away from 'blackened' anything as the blackened seasonings are always too salty for my tastes. Takes away from the goodness of the food whether fish or chicken for me.

Good luck and try a lot of different fish. There are some really tasty ones that can be made even tastier with the right preparation. Experiment...some will be great and some will be meh...enjoy the great!
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    i dont like fish either lol. Im actually a vegetarian. however...have you tried Braggs Aminios? Its a healthier form of like soy sauce I actually put on everything.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    What have you got against pills or liquid fish oil? If the objective, as stated, is to get the healthy omega fatty acids from fish into your diet, try these:

http://www.newchapter.com/fish-oil/wholemega/wholemega-fish-oil-supplements
    http://www.carlsonlabs.com/s-12-fish-oils.aspx
    https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/General_Public/Nordic_Naturals_Products/97
    http://krilloilcaptain.com/wp/what-does-your-gut-tell-you/

To get a daily dose, these are no more expensive than good quality fresh fish.

Now go have a really good grass fed steak!
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 85 Member
    One of my favorites (on any fish) is a sprinkling of some S & P, a little ground coriander and cumin and something for spice like cayenne pepper and bake it in the oven or pan fry it. Once it's done, top it with a little mango salsa.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Our local restaurant serves a Caesar salad with blackened catfish instead of chicken (I'm sure it would be pretty easy to make at home). Their salad comes with an 8-oz. steak, I bring half of it home for another meal.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Aw man you need to try other cuisines:) Try some Indian fish curry it is spicy and sour, and you can look up the recipes online, you can also add coconut milk to it to make it less spicy. Also look at other fish like cod, haddock, salmon, trout, pollock, tilapia, or golden pompano. And almost everyone is saying cook it on stove with salt and pepper. That can get boring real quick, but what about a seafood chowder which can be made fairly low calorie if you modify and tweak recipes. Or even using canned tuna, which I drain and add a peeled and cooked potato (literally do this in the microwave) and mash them together with salt, pepper, cumin, tumeric, garlic salt, and cinnamon all to taste with some fried up onions and garlic. Take the mix roll it into a ball dip them in egg and cook them up in the pan. Really tasty and filling.:)
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    I make swordfish steaks that are pretty easy.

Sautée some shallots for a few minutes, add thick cut swordfish steaks and brown one side, then add some balsamic vinegar, white wine and water to the pan with capers and cook the other side.

Super easy, and it takes like ten minutes including cutting up the shallots and starting them cooking.