I suck at running

13»

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    i only ever run on a treadmill for gait analysis... i remember the guy in the shop saying 'is that how you normally run?' and i'm just like, 'nope, i'm running like i've *kitten* myself, this is not how i normally run....' :laugh:

this is why I'm a bit wary of the whole gait analysis thing.

I run differently on a treadmill than I might outside where the ground is undulating and my speed adjusts microscopically.

‘gait’ begins from the head downwards. Even a few millimetres forward of the head can change the way your legs move to support the head. Same with the rest of the body.

Saying someone is an ‘overpronator’ only tells what happens when your foot hits the ground. This doesn’t relate to what happens to the hips, the pelvis, the knees. There is a good reason the foot is made up of so many bones, and that is to adjust to the surface it is hitting. A treadmill is a flat bouncy surface, and in no way represents the surface you will face running outside.

I am of the opinion that ‘gait’ is not fixed and can and maybe SHOULD be adjusted to improve efficiency. The same goes for the insistence that we should have supportive boots when hiking to protect the ankles – why? Surely we should have strong ankles to protect the ankles? If I am hiking over rough ground I want my whole body to respond to that rough ground, so that my hips and core take in the movement, rather than just my feet and ankles. The same goes with running.

Yes, there is some advantage to some form of support for the arches in shoes, and some advantage to cushioning, but I rather think this is more a comfort issue than a proscribed ‘gait’ diagnosis.

last time I bought new road shoes I bought online a pair I liked the look of. I wore them a bit and realised I wanted some arch support, so stuck in an insole. They work fine.

trail shoes I went to a local running shop and tried on a number of pairs, running up and down the street until I found a pair that was comfortable. Next time I think I'd buy a size larger.

I guess what I'm trying to say is learn to listen to your body as a whole and don't just follow blindly what someone says about your feet.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    i only ever run on a treadmill for gait analysis... i remember the guy in the shop saying 'is that how you normally run?' and i'm just like, 'nope, i'm running like i've *kitten* myself, this is not how i normally run....' :laugh:

this is why I'm a bit wary of the whole gait analysis thing.

I run differently on a treadmill than I might outside where the ground is undulating and my speed adjusts microscopically.

‘gait’ begins from the head downwards. Even a few millimetres forward of the head can change the way your legs move to support the head. Same with the rest of the body.

Saying someone is an ‘overpronator’ only tells what happens when your foot hits the ground. This doesn’t relate to what happens to the hips, the pelvis, the knees. There is a good reason the foot is made up of so many bones, and that is to adjust to the surface it is hitting. A treadmill is a flat bouncy surface, and in no way represents the surface you will face running outside.

I am of the opinion that ‘gait’ is not fixed and can and maybe SHOULD be adjusted to improve efficiency. The same goes for the insistence that we should have supportive boots when hiking to protect the ankles – why? Surely we should have strong ankles to protect the ankles? If I am hiking over rough ground I want my whole body to respond to that rough ground, so that my hips and core take in the movement, rather than just my feet and ankles. The same goes with running.

Yes, there is some advantage to some form of support for the arches in shoes, and some advantage to cushioning, but I rather think this is more a comfort issue than a proscribed ‘gait’ diagnosis.

last time I bought new road shoes I bought online a pair I liked the look of. I wore them a bit and realised I wanted some arch support, so stuck in an insole. They work fine.

trail shoes I went to a local running shop and tried on a number of pairs, running up and down the street until I found a pair that was comfortable. Next time I think I'd buy a size larger.

I guess what I'm trying to say is learn to listen to your body as a whole and don't just follow blindly what someone says about your feet.

i would tend to agree.

the only time i've had a running injury the physio didn't even mention my shoes, it was fixed by strengthening the muscles in my hips and legs.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Try running outside if you can. I have been running for a couple of years. My usual run is at least 3 miles, more if I'm training for something, plus a weekly long run. On the treadmill, I'm doing well to make it a mile. Everything hurts and it makes me hate every single step. Instead, I run on the streets around my neighborhood.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being slow. I was thrilled that I finished my first 5k in under 45 minutes. Many people finished ahead of me; some people finished after me. A great thing about running is that most of us are not competing with anyone but ourselves. The majority of people don't sign up for a race because they're trying to win it. They want to beat their own best performance or achieve some other personal goal.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    A few things. Have you tried repeating weeks on C25k? A few people find that they have success in just doing that to allow their body to adjust.

Secondly, in regards to your legs not cooperating, are they getting fatigued? Often times, this can be linked to poor running shoes. Have you been properly fitted? It's possibly that the shoes you have are not the correct fit for your gait.

This right here. The program even states if a week gives you trouble, repeat it, until it's not.

Additionally, do you have properly fitted running shoes? If not, head down to your local running store, and pick up a pair.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably mostly in my own damn head, but I do suck at it. Slow, struggle to add on any time or distance. I'm good at the first few weeks of C25K, then I just go in the tank. Can't breathe, legs don't cooperate, blah blah blah.

Anyone else ever experienced something similar? How did you get through it? Any tips from you pros out there? Thanks

I'm not a distance runner...never have been...never was good at it even when I was in the military and we ran daily for PT. I was a natural sprinter growing up, but I've never been a natural distance runner. My wife on the other hand is very natural...she can torch a 5K with little to no training.

When I ran, I did see some improvement over time, but it wasn't anything spectacular and I was just pretty miserable.

I decided to take up cycling instead which I enjoy much more.

Another very salient point. If at the end of the C25K, you still don't like running? Find something you do enjoy. No use battering a square peg into a round hole. Maybe cycling is more your thing. Maybe hiking. Maybe just lifting (You still need some cardio, though, the heart is a muscle that needs gainz too).
  • Cymru25
    Cymru25 Posts: 7 Member
    running is all about getting into a rhythm once you have that you breathing enters a rhythm as well and you will find running alot easier. It might sound daft but i found counting strides really helped it takes a bit of getting use to also i made sure i didnt push myself to hard and built it up over time. Dont worry if you have to start walking thats ok it all burns cals.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    I have the same issues. I'm new to running. I stopped on week 4 due to knee pain and rested it for 2 weeks. I'm slowly trying to get back into it and so far so good, but only for short spurts. I do far more walking than running unfortunately. I think I OVERthink things. I need to go get fitted for shoes because I think that's a large part of my problem, plus I worry about my knee every time. My breathing doesn't bother me much. Right now it's my dang ankles (now that my knee is doing better). The weight doesn't help, so hoping over time as I lose more, running will get easier. I do love it though when something's not hurting :D
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    I've slowed myself down a little bit, not much though. Regardless, this week has been better. I've gotten through the intervals just fine and without laboring to get there like the past few weeks. Maybe just talking about it and reading your advice has helped? Thanks!
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Slowing down has definitely helped out. Pretty much just running on the treadmill to try and train myself to pace better. Each day running is an improved C25K day. Hopefully we can keep getting better. Thanks all.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Running is not about speed or how fast you do it. Endurance and stamina play a vital role. No matter how long it takes, don't stop till you finish :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Frequency matters, then distance. . . speed hardly matters at all.
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Don't give up! Lots of great suggestions here. I've done the C25K before. Decent shoes are important. Repeat weeks as necessary. Do you listen to music while you run? I find that helps a lot. The beat helps me keep my feet moving. I'd love to do it again, but I need to make some more changes. I have exercise-induced asthma, and I make it worse by smoking (1/3-pack a day habit, stress related - no lectures, I've heard them all), I'm 30 lbs overweight, and have mild arthritis in my knees. But I'd like to try it this spring/summer anyway. I'm weird - I like running. Feel free to friend me if you want a cheerleader and you can help motivate me to get out there and start running!
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    I am not a natural runner. I'm slow, and only think of the joy of being done when I run. I did learn how important and helpful it is to pace yourself. When my friend taught me to run 10 min miles (that should be a 6 on your treadmill), my world expanded. If that's too fast, then keep it at a 5, but increase your distance. Without even trying you'll get faster. Good luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I used to hate running. My joke was that I would only run when chased. I ran track (sprint/hurdles) in school because it was an easy way to earn a letter, but then I took up other sports that didn't involve running. Flash forward 20 years and I have a adolescent son who plays lacrosse. I was still active in sports (lots of cycling) and pretty fit, but we have a parents/kids lacrosse game and the running nearly killed me! I set a goal to start running and run a 5K race. I started out with C25K but I honestly found it inane--I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I made up my own intervals and training plan--out and backs in the neighborhood, some treadmill work, a trip to the high school track, laps around the soccer field--as long as I ran a little longer each time, I felt like I was doing great! My endurance increased and eventually my speed increased as well. I ran my first 5K in just over 26 minutes. I ran several more, and each one was a PR. I really wanted a medal for running so I decided to run a half marathon since it was unlikely that I would ever win my age group in a 5K. I finished my first half in under 2 hours. I kept running, and ran more 5Ks, some 5 milers, some 10Ks (and even won my age group in a 5K once!) and another half marathon. If you asked me 6 years ago if I would ever love running I would have laughed at you. But I do. I love running--it's my happy time! I had to have ACL surgery last May (unrelated to running) and so now I'm starting all over at the beginning, building my endurance and speed back up. My mileage will never be back to where it was to run half marathons, but at least I'm running--I've set my goal to do a sprint tri this summer.

My thoughts for you: do what you need to do to make it fun for you. If that means running with a friend or spouse, do it. If that means ditching C25K, do it (have you considered the Zombies Run app?). Set goals for yourself if that motivates you. And, if at the end of all of that, you still hate it? Then don't do it. Find something else you enjoy.
  • anarchysdaughter
    anarchysdaughter Posts: 17 Member
    gexking wrote: »
    The speed thing...it's too easy to get stuck on that...but really, it doesn't matter. You are only racing against that voice in your head that says "You are slow...and this is hard...people are laughing at you" Kick that voice's *kitten*.

Thanks for this. I think this is one of my biggest issues when thinking about starting to run. I've been "power-walking" for several years and can whoop the hell out of an elliptical, but running has been trying to woo me as of late and I'm finding myself very anxious when it comes to trying it.

I really need to kick that voice's "kitten" myself.