What's the difference between a lifestyle change and a diet?

13»

Replies

• I've also heard people finding the word "Journey" annoying lol
    I think it is a bit of a cliche term.. but i guess it all depends on how the word hits you... i can't stand the word blouse lol

"Journey" is my biggest pet peeve on these boards. I mean, get over yourself, people, it's not a "journey", it's just a thing you are doing to get healthy. You don't get a gold star at the end either. End rant.

I gag when I hear the "J word". BLEGH! It is applied to everything these days. I refuse to call it a journey!
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017
    That's the literal denotation of the phrase, but not the connotation. The implication is that your entire life has changed in a dramatic fashion, not that it's slightly different.

I do think that exercising / losing weight CAN BE a lifestyle change for certain people. Just that it isn't for most.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    After reading this thread I think it's safe to say call what you're doing whatever you like lol
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    diets end.
  • inertiastrength
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    diets end.

I cant wait!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    fascha wrote: »
    diets end.

I cant wait!

Its not a positive thing
  • inertiastrength
    fascha wrote: »
    diets end.

I cant wait!

Its not a positive thing

it is for me, I can't stand cutting
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Diet vs lifestyle change is nail polish vs tattoo.
    Diet and nail polish you put on with the intent f it lasts a few weeks and it lasts 3 days. Tatoo and lifestyle changes are with you for the rest of your life.

A tattoo may be with the person for the rest of his/her life but a lifestyle change, hmm no so much.

Changes in marital status, a new baby, death in the family, moving to another town, state or country, getting sick, disabilities, change of work or profession, etc. all those factors may directly or indirectly affect the way we live, and therefore, can force us to change our lifestyle.

In addition, a "journey" is the act of traveling from one point to another. It has a beginning and an end. So if this definition applies to dieting, it would mean that once you get to the final destination (losing weight), the journey is completed... :/

Semantic people, just semantic.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I know I'm supposed to be doing a lifestyle change, but if the new lifestyle is counting calories, isn't that just a diet? If I decide to count calories for the rest of my life, does that count as a lifestyle change? How much has to change before a diet becomes a lifestyle?

Just calling a diet a lifestyle change doesn't improve the chances of it producing long-term results. I'm sure there are people for whom all that is required is being aware of how much they are eating and how much they weigh. But for most people there is a significant difference between having a goal to lose weight and having a goal to remain the same week after week. Seeing the scale drop gives people a built in reward. Not seeing it drop isn't particularly rewarding, as is evidenced by the numerous people who come here and post their fears when they go for a week or two without any weight loss. When we aren't being rewarded for what we are doing we're less likely to continue doing it.

The type of lifestyle change that is required is one in which you are rewarded for the good behaviors that lead to the results you want. Becoming an athlete is one example because excess fat has a direct impact on your performance ability, as well as the fact that the activity itself causes calorie burn. But there are other lifestyle changes that can lead to good results. Actors and models, for example, maintain their weight because their career depends on it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I've also heard people finding the word "Journey" annoying lol
    I think it is a bit of a cliche term.. but i guess it all depends on how the word hits you... i can't stand the word blouse lol

"Journey" is my biggest pet peeve on these boards. I mean, get over yourself, people, it's not a "journey", it's just a thing you are doing to get healthy. You don't get a gold star at the end either. End rant.

I gag when I hear the "J word". BLEGH! It is applied to everything these days. I refuse to call it a journey!

Every time the word journey is used I think of Frodo and Sam on their never ending journey to Mordor. And by the time they actually get there I'm so sick of the darn movies, I'm like 'I hope they get toasted by the evil Eye'.

:D