KaHee's Journey of Self-Love & OMAD

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Probiotics can help a lot and also resistant starch to feed them. Yogurt should fit into your keto diet if it is homemade. The store bought stuff isn't fully fermented and still has lactose in it. If you make your own it is supposed to be very low carb unlike the store bought stuff (they also add starch and I think mild to it). To make yogurt, buy some powdered milk. Make it double strength (with warm, not hot water), add a spoonful of some yogurt you buy at the store and stir it in or blend it up. Set it in some place overnight that will be a little warm and you will have yogurt in the morning. Way better than the store stuff. I add a little fruit preserves for sweetness and flavor (not a lot so not a lot of carbs). Lot cheaper than the store bought stuff also.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    @leveejohn Thanks for the suggestions!! I will have to try different methods and see if there is a difference between raw, steamed, quantity, etc. I usually buy organic, however, I think the salad did me in because of the quantity. I don't think my body was able to digest such a massive portion. Luckily the food baby went away. It can be so uncomfortable being that bloated!

@blambo61 I think it is so cool that you make your own yogurt. And you are right, it is so good for your digestion. I am very sensitive to dairy and the only product that I can eat without any symptoms is grass fed butter. But I do miss yogurt and who knows maybe making my own won't hurt my stomach! I'll give it a go!! Thanks so much!
  • KetoKaHee
    edited March 2017
    Sooooo.....please don't think I'm going completely nuts ha! But I somehow stumbled across this blog about people having success eating zero carb. They only eat MEAT!! I found their stories interesting and of course this intrigues me because all I do is read nutrtion articles.
    Every body is unique and what works for one person isn't going to work for another. If my body would respond well to being vegan I would totally do it because I know how our meat is processed and it isn't pretty. But my health fails on a vegan diet. So I eat a lot of meat because it makes me feel the best. It is hard living such a contradiction.

When I eat only meat like I did last night (wild salmon and beef sausages) I wake up with no bloat, I feel energized, I'm not hungry and have zero cravings. It is a relief.

I was so shocked to see a community that only eats meat because that just seems crazy!!!! I was wondering what your thoughts were on this subject? I might give it a go for a very short time to see how I feel.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    I think it shouldn't be a problem 'short term' but I suspect you'd need to supplement for the vitamins and minerals you'd miss from not having a varied diet.
    Long term, I always believe in having a varied diet, but this is just my opinion
  • KetoKaHee
    edited March 2017
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I think it shouldn't be a problem 'short term' but I suspect you'd need to supplement for the vitamins and minerals you'd miss from not having a varied diet.
    Long term, I always believe in having a varied diet, but this is just my opinion

Yes, I couldn't imagine only eating meat for an extended amount of time. The interviews I have been reading, people have been doing it for like 8 plus years!! It is incredible the different diets people do and what works for them!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Nope not for me, I love my salads way too much oh and Popcorn too and Chocolate!!! :p
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    I think I would listen to your body. Definitely not for me, I couldn't do Atkins comfortably. But I know of others who thrive on this sort of thing.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    Sooooo.....please don't think I'm going completely nuts ha! But I somehow stumbled across this blog about people having success eating zero carb. They only eat MEAT!! I found their stories interesting and of course this intrigues me because all I do is read nutrtion articles.
    Every body is unique and what works for one person isn't going to work for another. If my body would respond well to being vegan I would totally do it because I know how our meat is processed and it isn't pretty. But my health fails on a vegan diet. So I eat a lot of meat because it makes me feel the best. It is hard living such a contradiction.

When I eat only meat like I did last night (wild salmon and beef sausages) I wake up with no bloat, I feel energized, I'm not hungry and have zero cravings. It is a relief.

I was so shocked to see a community that only eats meat because that just seems crazy!!!! I was wondering what your thoughts were on this subject? I might give it a go for a very short time to see how I feel.

I think it would burn the kidneys out after a period of time and could cause gout problems as well as cause deficiencies in certain micro-nutrients.
  • LittleForestOwl
    LittleForestOwl Posts: 35 Member

I've done a Ketogenic diet before, whilst doing Intermittent Fasting. It's recommended to do a 16 hour fast rather than a 23 hour fast. Also, even on a Keto diet, you still need a tiny amount of (curtain) 'net' carbs, I can't remember the exact grams, but it's low, so as to keep in Ketosis. I don't know if it is sustainable long term, as I've only done it two months myself. If you are serious about doing it, can I recommend that you follow Dr Eric Berg's channel on YouTube. There's so many people out their, claiming to know about 'health', who are not medically trained and know nothing. Dr Berg, is medically trained and very informative, as well has doing a Keto diet long term. It's more than just eating meat, you need that minute portion of net carbs, as well as a portion of 'healthy' fats, to help process the foods, realease vitamins and keep up energy levels.
    1. Think about what your goal is and if this will help you achieve that goal.
    2. Think about why you're looking to switch and the reasons behind that.
    3. Do your research to make an imformed choice.
    4. Most importantly, no matter what you do, listen to your body.
    I hope this helps.

• KetoKaHee
    @LittleForestOwl Thank you! You are so sweet. I have been doing Keto for about 5 months now and the macros are usually 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. And I have watched all of Dr. Eric Berg's videos! I love him. I love how keto makes me feel and the hormonal balance it gives me but it wasn't until I started doing OMAD that I started to lose some weight. Fasting and Keto work together beautifully. I wish you lots of luck with Keto! I'm never going back to eating processed carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc. My body can't digest them so I really don't have a choice. And since having so much fat in my diet I don't have the crazy cravings like I used too!
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2017
    Hope you had a good meal after your long fast :) I just had my last meal till Saturday :p
  • KetoKaHee
    Hope you had a good meal after your long fast :) I just had my last meal till Saturday :p

This 48 hour fast is a lot harder I must say....but I'm hanging in! I'll have my OMAD in about 1 hour and it will be bacon burger patties that my fiance is making. He sent me a video of 2 sheets of bacon cooking in the oven. Ha! It was torture!
  • Brendalea69
    Oooh what a tease, but those Bacon Burgers will make it worth it!!! :)
  • LittleForestOwl
    LittleForestOwl Posts: 35 Member
    @LittleForestOwl Thank you! You are so sweet. I have been doing Keto for about 5 months now and the macros are usually 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. And I have watched all of Dr. Eric Berg's videos! I love him. I love how keto makes me feel and the hormonal balance it gives me but it wasn't until I started doing OMAD that I started to lose some weight. Fasting and Keto work together beautifully. I wish you lots of luck with Keto! I'm never going back to eating processed carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc. My body can't digest them so I really don't have a choice. And since having so much fat in my diet I don't have the crazy cravings like I used too!

That's great that you're seeing good results. I left Keto behind, but still eat my fats and the good carbs. I'll find out tomorrow how well it's working for me. If you feel great on what you're doing, keep it up :smile: Congrats on your progress to date!!
  • KetoKaHee
    Hello Friends! Oh how I have missed everyone! I was away because I started a zerocarb challenge for April. But I must say I missed my OMAD peeps so much! This community has been awesome for me mentally, emotionally and I love the support!

During this "challenge" you aren't supposed to fast....say what?? You just eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Well...the structure of OMAD works so much better for me and I'm not willing to give that up. You live and you learn.

I haven't made any decisions yet about my zerocarb challenge. For now I am sticking with it and will do OMAD. But if it comes down to ditching one over the other...OMAD wins!

I won't be posting pics of my meals...sorry @brendagaudette because who wants to see a plate full of brown meat...it ain't pretty like my normal meals. Ha!

I also threw away the scale! That little buggar was driving me cray cray and I can tell that I am leaning out and fitting better in my clothes and that works for me!

I hope everyone is doing awesome!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Zero carbs! OM goodness. Sounds impossible. No chocolate. :'( I hope your April challenge is wildly successful!
  • KetoKaHee
    amflautist wrote: »
    Zero carbs! OM goodness. Sounds impossible. No chocolate. :'( I hope your April challenge is wildly successful!

Thank you!! So far so good...but I did dream about a salad last night! ha!
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    I love meat and looking at it too :p Good luck with eating zero carb and OMAD...I'm glad you came back :)
  • KetoKaHee
    I love meat and looking at it too :p Good luck with eating zero carb and OMAD...I'm glad you came back :)

Thanks Brenda!! I will pretend to be eating your yummy meals as time goes on..ha!