Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Drink Shakeology because protein turns to fat"

1235»

Replies

• Amarolda1122
    Amarolda1122 Posts: 3 Member
    Shakeology is just a new relacement and an expensive one I have used it it's okay I prefer pea protein now it's much easier to digest and has a higher protein amount ... even switched my almond milk for pea milk
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    So, I should use these particular protein shakes because protein is bad for me?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    So take the Shakeology aspect out of it... Say I burn 1700 calories in one day, and I eat 1700 calories, exactly. What if I sit down and eat 40 grams of protein in one sitting during that day? Those calories will be burned, but will eating all that protein at one time be a waste of the benefit? Should I spread it out more?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    OP your first intuition was correct that anything will lead to accumulation of fat of you are in caloric surplus and a caloric deficit will result in a loss of fat regardless of the macro composition. So your Shakeology friends belief amounts to Woo.

Sure, protein can be metabolically converted to fat but fat will be utilized for energy if you are in a caloric deficit...so who cares. If for some reason protein was turned into fat more than other macros then having more protein while in caloric deficit would actually be good for fat loss since any metabolic conversion would not be 100% efficient and so energy would be lost in the conversion.

What I mean by that is this. Pretend you eat 1000 calories of protein and it all gets metabolically converted to fat but the process of conversion is 90% efficient so you end up with 900 calories worth of fat. But you are in caloric deficit so your body then needs to use that fat and the fact it was first converted from protein would mean overall you would end up having to use more fat to make yo p for the efficiency loss from conversion.

I mean that isn't what is going to happen, your body isn't going to convert protein to fat while in caloric deficit but even if for some reason it did that would actually have the opposite effect of what Shakeology friend is claiming.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Shakeology is still a thing?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Shakeology is still a thing?

I guess for those who cant let go lol