2»

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,901 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry.....wrong thread :)
  • majjmendoza
    majjmendoza Posts: 1 Member
    Hi new here at fitness pal and I'm a vegetarian also. Isnt the beans and peas can give you a gout if you ate too much of it?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Make yourself a black bean burger make it as spicy or mild as you like.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Hi new here at fitness pal and I'm a vegetarian also. Isnt the beans and peas can give you a gout if you ate too much of it?

I'm pretty sure gout is from meat and seafood sources and alcohol. But I'm not sure that English is your first language so you might mean something else.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure gout is from meat and seafood sources and alcohol. But I'm not sure that English is your first language so you might mean something else.

Gout is actually a type of arthritis and it's caused by too much uric acid in the blood. When the uric acid levels in the blood get too high, the uric acid often form hard crystal which are deposited or get lodged in the joints of your body. Food containing purines should be avoided if you have gout but unfortunately, all food contains purines. There are obviously certain foods that contain higher and/or lower amounts of purines than others. Your chances of getting gout are higher if you are overweight, drink too much alcohol or eat too much meat and fish. Some medicines, such as water pills (diuretics - which are known to be high in purine content), can also bring on gout.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    You don't need to eat 1 g per pound of TOTAL mass to maintain muscle. Use lean mass instead.
  • cmtigger
    ladipoet wrote: »

Gout is actually a type of arthritis and it's caused by too much uric acid in the blood. When the uric acid levels in the blood get too high, the uric acid often form hard crystal which are deposited or get lodged in the joints of your body. Food containing purines should be avoided if you have gout but unfortunately, all food contains purines. There are obviously certain foods that contain higher and/or lower amounts of purines than others. Your chances of getting gout are higher if you are overweight, drink too much alcohol or eat too much meat and fish. Some medicines, such as water pills (diuretics - which are known to be high in purine content), can also bring on gout.

Sounds like a similar struggle to what those of us with oxalate based kidney stones deal with.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member

Sounds like a similar struggle to what those of us with oxalate based kidney stones deal with.

@cmtigger ....yeah, kind of (good analogy actually). I have a dear friend who is *supposed* to follow a low oxalate diet so whenever she comes over for a visit I try to have something to feed her that is in line with that WOE.
  • cmtigger

@cmtigger ....yeah, kind of (good analogy actually). I have a dear friend who is *supposed* to follow a low oxalate diet so whenever she comes over for a visit I try to have something to feed her that is in line with that WOE.

It's a pain. Low animal meat protein, high calcium, low oxalates, low sodium......

I ate too much chicken, as well as potatoes yesterday. Today was a new day. The sodium is probably the hardest.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Tofu is a high source of protein. However, most, even vegetarians, have a hard time eating it. Get an extra firm tofu block. Grate it. Sautéed with onions and soy sauce. It's delicious this way, even my 13 year old son loves it like that. When you sautéed it, let it get a bit crispy before tossing it and let it sit a bit longer. You will find it delicious and very high in protein. Plus a half block grated and made up like that is plenty and not that high in calories.