WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    I'm BAACCCKKK!!! Boy, did we have Internet problems (and phone). It would be up for a few (very few) minutes, then down for a while (long while). Three times we had a service man come out, so far it looks like whatever the third service man did worked.

Friday I did Kathy Kaehlers Get Fit Class DVD, Sat. I did Preventions Fitness System DVD, today I did a Pulse Yoga DVD, and the plan for tomorrow is to do the last section of the 10 Minute Pilates DVD, hold my plank, and take the extremepump class. Then I go to count the collection money at the church and take donations to the soup kitchen

We've been opening the pool. Cleaned the filters yesterday and Vince vacuumed it. It's looking really good. We think there was pollen in the pool because Rover couldn't really keep up. Which is why Vince vacuumed. Now Rover can keep up.

Beth - we asked this guy who does landscaping in our neighborhood to seed the backyard. We asked him back in March. We're still waiting for him to do it. I know that we're not regular customers of his, but I've told him about other things that we need done. He usually cuts the lawn of the people next door to us on Wednesdays, so if he's there this Wednesday I'm going to beg him to get it done. I know Vince is getting frustrated.

DJ - I have never heard of eyelash extension. How long do they last. I'm thinking of Denise's wedding, I've seen (and heard) that false eyelashes show up better in pictures. But I don't think you can put false eyelashes on for days. You can eyelash extensions? Are they like false eyelashes? Where do you get it done? Do they look "false"? Have fun on your cruise! Happy Birthday

Made sweet potato muffins yesterday. I'll take some to the church tomorrow and give the rest to the lady who does the sewing for me. I want her to put an elastic in a pair of pants and want it to be a decent job. I know that I can't do a decent job. Then I made a chocolate pound cake to have for "mahjongg" (if we have it). Seems the gal who started it (mainly so that her neighbor who isn't a Newcomer could play) has decided that going to game night is more important than us. There is another game night, a game day, plus canasta. But it seems that we're being ditched for game night. She's done this last month and now this month, if she does it again next month I think I'll ask her if this is going to be an every month thing and then ask the other two ladies if they just want to skip it that week.

NYKaren - horray for your daughter

Thurs Vince went for this laser treatment on his left eye. See, when he had the cataract surgery a few years ago, they told him that it was very possible that the flap of skin that holds the lens in place would develop a film and that's what happened. The had to do some laser (all of 3 minutes) on it. He goes next Thurs to get the other eye done. The only thing is that he can't drive home but he can drive later in the day.

Joyce - sure hope your tummy is better. Glad Charlie never needed the fecal transplant.

Kim - give my best to Rori. You two will have a great time. Be sure to post pics!

Marcelyn - I know, chiggers can be a real real pain. A few years ago we were cutting down some weeds. We started using this stuff call Permetherin. You can only get it over the Internet. There's a spray and also a cream. But it's great stuff.

Becca - you never cease to amaze me with how much you can do (food-wise) with so little

Denise called yesterday saying that Jess was being difficult. See, Denise wants to go bridesmaid dress shopping on the 3rd. She said that Jess told her she'd take the day off from work. Why the 3rd? Because one of the gals is coaching a softball game for her daughter. So I told Denise that softball games usually don't last more than 2 or 3 hours, why doesn't she find out the time of the game and then have everyone go on the 13th instead of just Jess. I'm sorry, Jess' job is her future, this gal's coaching softball isn't her future. Denise couldn't understand how there would be rush hour traffic at 3:00. I just told her "Denise, this is the Beltway. There's rush hour traffic at 3 in the evening". But she's decided she wants to do it her way, take 2 of the girls on the 3rd and then Jess on the 13th. Now what if Jess doesn't like the gown that the others chose? I'm betting that Jess will just go along with whatever they decide, she's someone who couldn't care for one day. Now she will have to have the dress sent to her and then have the alterations done by her. I wonder if this place charges for shipping? I know the last place Denise went to didn't charge for shipping. I just told Denise that I think she's setting herself up for more stress by doing it this way. I think she has another reason for doing it this way, but I'm not sure what it is. I suspect she's trying to keep Amanda and Jess apart.

dana - those chiggers even went up our pants down down the socks. What a pain until we found the Permetherin

dana - I didn't need a prescription for my compression stocking. Is there something special about the one you need?

Allie - I'm very surprised that the boss would allow the electric bill to go unpaid. Whoever made that mistake, to me, should be fired

Ginger - what exactly is the iridotomy procedure?

Welcome everyone new and returnees!

barbie - I can hardly imagine how frustrating it was for you with your pedometer. Glad you got it taken care of

pip - what a great tribute to Lenny to have a tree for him!

Karen in VA - sure hope Jilli is OK!

Loved all the pics

Re - I hate when you go to a buffet and they have baked fish but it's baked in butter. There's a buffet around here that does that. They also have this vege medley that has butter in it.

DJ - congrats on the honor at the Moose. You certainly deserve it!

Karen in VA - OMG that goose egg. Sure hope she's OK and that there are no lingering effects

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    KarenVA I hope Jill feels better soon! That really looks like it hurts!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    Becca- I remember Sophie Tucker – how neat your grandmother had a band and did some soft-shoe as well. Where was this and did you ever see her perform? No wonder you are so talented, it runs in the family!

Heather
    – I too love to experience towns and the culture when I travel. Enjoy your trip and the French cuisine.

Barbie, my DH is like Jake—keeps talking about traveling but I know neither his disposition nor health can take a long trip. He won’t fly. Plus, he’d be worried about the dog, the cats, the house being broken into. When he starts in on the trip yearning I remind him of all that.

I see the Terra Cotta Warriors from China are at the Pacific Science Center until Sept 4th – that sounds like an interesting exhibit. Last time I went there was for King Tut in the what…early 80’s?

DJ – how long is your ocean cruise? Yes, you should be allergy free on the water like that!

Dana – gorgeous pic of your daughter and her family. Hope you can get the compression stocking OK. Neat that Dolly is finding her voice! We loved that about hounds…all the different yelps, trills and howls they have.

Karen in VA
    – I wonder if Jilli will have much of a bruise? Ow, looks nasty. Hope no long-term effects.

Machka (sorry I can’t find your first name) good for you on the bicycling. You and Pip excel in that department-definitely keeps you gals in great shape!

Rori, helping your friend clean out the condo is a great idea and a way to spend some “girl time” with her even tho you’ll be busy.

Katla, the weathermap shows the worst weather is heading north of Portland so it might be nice to be at the stable today – we’ll be getting the rain soon. DH wants to mow again but the grass is so wet right now. His next chance might be tomorrow afternoon.

I am running on empty – couldn’t sleep well last night because of the Claritin D – dried out my nose, eyes, throat too well. Managed to fall asleep in the recliner around 1 then up at 5. Big nap planned today. Also, back on the Zyrtec and Flonase and will stop with the Claritin D – Flonase gives me a nose bleed after a couple days plus I keep hearing about bad side effects so use it sparingly.

I was tested for allergies about ten years ago and have a ton of them, they wanted me to take shots. I declined and the allergies actually weren’t much of a problem for a number of years. Recently, I think the wet weather has produced a lot of fungus and molds my system wasn’t used to.

We have filled out the application to switch from Regence Medigap Plan F to Plan N – will save us over $125 per month (combined). Will have a $20 co-pay for doc visits, medical tests plus will be on the hook for the $183 Medicare co-pay and excess charges aren’t covered. I’d worry a bit about the excess charges if we traveled but all of the docs and hospitals in our area take Medicare so shouldn’t be a problem. And if it is, our insurance broker said we can go back on Plan F right away so we might have some big out of pocket for a month then no more. I will verify that with him when I drop off the apps tomorrow.

Making a big batch of spaghetti sauce in the crockpot today. Using my own canned tomatoes from 2015 plus POMI chopped tomatoes from Italy. I ran out of sauce earlier this week so opened a jar of Barilla. WOW they add a lot of sugar. I don’t add any to my sauce but it’s very sweet just from my own sun-ripened tomatoes. Will add chopped onion, garlic, spices and a bit of Italian sausage and hamburger. Freezes well.

Squash seeds have sprouted and as soon as they lift their heads from the soil I plop them into the greenhouse….poor babies go from 90 degree heat mats to the 50 degree hut. BUT they do get sunshine out there that the grow lights can’t begin to supply. As long as it doesn’t freeze at night I think they’ll be fine.

Have a wonderful Sunday!!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 44X7X35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    80 Squats
    23 push-ups
    80 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    It is snowing today! Definitely will take at least a 2 mile walk will have to see how slippery it is. Hopefully I will do more.

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd-May20th
    Day one of our challenge! Suggestion for today is to take a look at the recipes and pictures of low-carb meals that fellow MFP'ers have submitted!
    This is a fantastic site to get meal ideas from!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest
    Recipes
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10044905/share-your-original-recipes#latest

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    hidee ho ,just checking in,just finished helping mow the lawn..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) Today is sheet changing day. The big challenge is getting the dogs and the cat out of the bed long enough to get it done. Once we get them out of bed and out of the bedroom, we have to close the door until the chore is done. Yes, the pets are in charge here. We know it and we don't care.

:)Lanette,, we have a great insurance agent who has helped us with Medicare related medical insurance including filling out and submitting the forms for us.

:)Michele, I missed you and I'm glad your internet problems were finally solved.

:)Mary, Thank you for posting your exercise every day. Your consistency inspires me. I've decided to wait until the nine month mark after my surgery to get back to lifting and other exercises (push ups, plank) that put a strain on my spine. I can walk and dance and ride my exercise bike so I'm staying active. I don't want to do something that will cause a giant setback or permanent injury.

<3 Barbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Barbie-i agree I try and make the bed and Homer is up there like a shot and bouncing all over the place ....
  • fanncy0626
    Barbie - thanks! You're such an inspiration with your walking and line dancing after your back surgery! No doubt you will do well when you are able to get back to you strength training! Take it easy and listen to your body as well as your doctor!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I am so impressed by your decision to travel alone. My auntie did some solo traveling after her husband passed away, but she was likely the most adventurous woman in the family. I think she booked tours and remember her photos from Ireland. My son and DDIL are also travelers and go whenever they can. :heart:
  • sheri0825
    sheri0825 Posts: 6 Member
    Hello I am Sheri and I currently live in Tennessee. My goal is to lose 70 pounds this year. I don't think ten pounds a month is asking to much. Anyway I also have a blog on here so please read it will give you a better idea about who I am and my struggles. I am looking for friends to share this journey and so I have someone to support in their journey. If, there are folks from the Memphis area that would be really nice.
  • ArleneSchrader1
    ArleneSchrader1 Posts: 20 Member
    Hello, I see here some posts from Washington, I live in Grand Coulee. Anything from somewhere near to me would be helpful. I walk the North Dam some days. Does anyone here have any other ideas?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    523651hrk7q2lyrl.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Michele I detest chiggers too. They itch for days. ICK!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Hooray for you Heather I admire your solo travels.

Had a busy Sunday with a very long walk, 2 hours of gardening and grocery shopping phew :s I am relaxing before I tackle laundry and thinking about dinner

Such a beautiful spring day, sky is crystal blue and the trees are all flowering, I'm happy <3

NYKAREN