Considering crossfit!

Options
2»

Replies

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    whats is cross fit, whats the difference between regular working out and cross fit

In crossfit, you workout in a box :smile:

Here's a link about it: https://www.crossfit.com/
  • MaryYoungmark
    MaryYoungmark Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input! I'm so excited to get started! My first ramp up session is tomorrow!

How did it go? Did you enjoy it?

Yes!!!!! But I'm extremely sore! Just from doing the warmup and the baseline. I'm hoping I'll be good to go tomorrow. The coaches were awesome
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Have you ever watched the famous "Nasty Girls" video?
    I was telling someone about this the other day.
    The Nasty Girls video is a very famous event in the history of Crossfit.
    It was filmed back in the day when Crossfit was considered by so many to be kinda fringe and dangerous (Uncle Pukey!) and ineffective (You'll never build muscle that way).
    It shows three women doing a workout -- called a WOD in Crossfit lingo -- in which they have to do air squats, muscle ups on gymnast rings, and power cleans. Three rounds for time: 50 air squats, 7 muscle ups, and 10 95-pound hang cleans.
    Well, they filmed the workout and they put the video on YouTube. It shows them all racing along, and doing well, and then, towards the end, one of them starts to flag. She is really struggling to get up on top of the rings. Then she starts missing her hang power cleans. She's falling to the ground. The weight is falling on top of her.
    And, most important of all, she is so frustrated she is crying. She is falling behind the others in this intense competition and it is killing her. You can see that she is absolutely exhausted. She wants her body to do what she is telling it to and she just cannot. And she is bawling!
    But she won't give up.
    At the end, she collapses into some guys' arms, sobbing.
    Well, you might think that people would see that video, and they would say to themselves: Gawd, that looks painful! Gawd, that looks obsessive! But they didn't. People saw it, women particularly, and they said to themselves: Heck! I wanna do that! I gotta see if I can push myself like that.
    New members started pouring into Crossfit gyms.
    These women are now revered in the annals of Crossfit.
    Here is a link to the video, so you don't have to google 'Nasty girls video,' which can be a dicey proposition if you don't know what you are looking for....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0nPnElcqgU
    PS Word of warning. Turn down the volume on your computer. The musical accompaniment is not to everyone's taste.
  • MaryYoungmark
    MaryYoungmark Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My leg soreness has died down a tad and I'm off to my first full workout tonight. Excited and nervous!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love CrossFit. I don't like some things about the corporation and leaders, but I'll set that aside. I have never in my life been someone who would consider myself an athlete, and I do now. I'm faster, stronger, and more confident at 37 than I ever was in my twenties. I run way faster than when I ran five times a week. I love how my body looks. I take better care of myself. I am excited about learning new skills and improving the ones I have learned. Working out is no longer about losing weight or, an obligation, it's something I am excited about. I have done things this year that I could not do even as a kid- climb a rope, pull-ups, and things I just would have never thought I'd enjoy, like Olympic lifts.

My gym has a great community, and I truly care about the success of the other members. We show up for eachother, cheer eachother on, celebrate eachother's success, whether it's a competition or just a class.

Each gym has a different vibe and so you want to check them out. Some are more competition-elite focused, and may be less fun for beginners. Some have a wide range of people and great communities. Try out some different boxes and find coaches who pay attention to the students. I would recommend looking for coaches who have more extensive training than just CF. And then, take it slow!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    some who have been there, done that, and decided it's not for them.

disclosure: i haven't been there. but i'll chime in anyway as someone who did do two weekend sessions of a circuit class way back at the start of all this, because those are somewhat crossfitty in structure if not in details.

so my comment is just that it probably matters what kind of person you are. whether you like a 'communal' type atmosphere or a more individualist one; and whether time caps and competition are motivators for you, or more of an irritant.
    While I would have thought this to be true before I tried it, it didn't work out that way for me. I'm an introvert and prefer to be alone or with a few close friends most of the time, but I still enjoy the camaraderie in crossfit. Go figure.

I am chiming as well! I always did individual things- running, biking, and never thought I was competitive. Holy *kitten*, am I competitive! And I love the community. It's more like being on a team than socializing- you do fun things together and don't have to stand around small talking or whatever.