Is it wrong not to comment or like a private diary

13»

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited April 2017
    I do sometimes, it's nice to encourage someone. I could say I jogged for 30mins and actually didn't and get likes when no one will no if I really did or not. I give the Benefit of the doubt. But it's neither right or wrong. If u don't want to that's no biggy
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited April 2017
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Completed diary is obviously an invitation to comment.

Not that obvious, considering some of the replies in this thread.

Unless someone says they're having trouble staying under their calories, or says they're always under or at goal but aren't seeing results, their logging and dietary choices should not be seen as being up for discussion.

As an MFP friend I expect you to comment on choices that I make that will impact my ability to reach my goals, unless I give you a clear indication that I am both aware of the issues and not really trying to tackle them at this time.

If you're willing to let me drown without the benefit of your insight... why are you occupying screen space on my news-feed?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Completed diary is obviously an invitation to comment.

Not that obvious, considering some of the replies in this thread.

Unless someone says they're having trouble staying under their calories, or says they're always under or at goal but aren't seeing results, their logging and dietary choices should not be seen as being up for discussion.

As an MFP friend I expect you to comment on choices that I make that will impact my ability to reach my goals, unless I give you a clear indication that I am both aware of the issues and not really trying to tackle them at this time.

If you're willing to let me drown without the benefit of your insight... why are you occupying screen space on my news-feed?

If you are having issues and have a network of friends for support, why are you not asking for help? You expect to people to come and find you, scrutinize you and read your mind?
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2017
    I dont mind liking when someone posts their end of day under their limit closeout, that's the point, to come in under your limit, and some days its a battle to do so, so no reason why i cant throw a like, whether I see what they ate or not. Its part of why most folks get friends on here. I dont comment of course if it's not open, and dont often look if its open, unless they also had a comment of their own, or its unusual for that friend, or one who's really struggling. if you are too far below, that is below the safe limit, it doesn't generate the completed diary link anyway.
    I have my diary open just because, why not, but that doesnt mean every day i expect people to tell me about what Im eating, Im going to eat what i eat anyway and I dont need someone to tell me to change it, and they may not understand something, and as was mentioned, just because it read cups doesnt mean i didn't weigh the serving in the grams that were marked on the package. Many of the entries only list the volume on the package, not the grams. My diary is for me, not them. i dont require people to tell me how to eat, in fact I dont want them them to. I certainly dont expect them to "like" it, but i dont mind if they do either. But its good to share with youre friends that you are logging and participating- if i had a friend who wasnt bothering to log anymore on a continued basis, unless i really got to know them and understood what they were doing in maintenance, I'd drop them, because there's no point to be linked if they aren't taking this seriously anymore.

I give people the benefit of the doubt on most things, unless its so outrageous I question it, and I generally dont respond on things where people are logging calories for what should be their usual daily activities (dishwashing, cleaning etc). But they arent doing it for my likes, its for their own reasons. Encouragement is nice, but not make or break.

I try to keep my status mostly related to my weightloss journey or things that affect it. For most friends, i dont really care about their latest personal adventures, what TV they watch, their weather etc, as if it was a facebook post. We're connected here for the journey, not because we actually know each other and are BFF's. There's a select few I have really connected with, but most I just want to share support for this calorie counting lifestyle. Just my take.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,146 Member
    I keep my diary closed. I tried opening it for a while, but found the comments, even the good ones, were interfering in my ability to be honest about what I logged. My dietician is an MFP friend and she's got the code to unlock it, but that's it. My closing it out does post (didn't know there was an option not to) and I'm leaving it like that. I honestly never gave much attention to that particular notification. I've read a diary here and there, mostly out of curiosity, but I pay more attention to and "like" log in days (over 100), and weight loss numbers, as well as personal comments.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    I had mine open for awhile but the comments on how I eat less than 1000 calories a day was getting old. I eat a lot of good food during the day and it works for me. Why comment anyway? Sharing recipes/meals, fine. Getting advice, better yet. Negative comments... hit the road.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    I leave my diary open, but have never received an unsolicited comment, guess my meal planning is a bit dull, not inspiring :(

Now I wish we had a page views count, to see how often others look at our diary.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited April 2017
    I just copied and pasted this thread on my newsfeed, asking people with locked diaries what they think of this discussion :open_mouth: Maybe a lot of them aren't aware that they can deactivate diary posting...

1. I think my diary might be locked ... not sure. Sometimes I open it, sometimes I lock it. Update: just checked and it is indeed locked/private. Good.

2. I am aware I can activate and deactivate what appears in my newsfeed. I have set it up the way I want it, and the way I want it shows that I have closed my food diary for the day, and either I am under my calorie limit or not. But my newsfeed shouldn't show that I've friended someone, or have been on MFP for 650 days, or anything like that. I'll double check it. Update: just checked and it is indeed set up the way I want it. Excellent!

3. I will "like" anyone who closed their diary for the day and was under their calorie limit. I really do not care what that person ate. Not my business. Also not my business if that person fudged their numbers or not. If their goal is to be under their calories and they feel they are under their calories, then great ... "Like!". :mrgreen:

4. I will not go into another person's diary and judge their food choices, and I don't want anyone making comment on my food choices. What a person eats is up to that person. When my food diary is locked, that is to ensure that no one gets tempted to make a comment on what I ate. Not anyone's business.

5. I also don't have time to look at anyone's food diaries ... but I do have time to throw them a "Like" if they are under their calories and that is their goal.

6. It is nice to get a few "Likes" here and there for both exercise and completed food diaries. :)

7. And I do like closing my food diary to see the "In 5 weeks thing" :) I also close it so that it will appear in the Reports.