Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    He could say all he wants, but until I was ready to change nothing was going to happen. As it happens though, I was obese when I met him, and he loves me and finds me sexy anyway. He said he'll love me and find me sexy when I'm a 150 pounds with saggy skin. He's never said anything about my size, but he supports me in my weight loss efforts.

I love him and find him sexy even though he's put a few pounds on himself. We both know we needed to lose weight, we have mirrors.

He keeps talking about losing, but not doing anything about it, so it's obvious he's not ready. Anything I say would only make him feel bad, and not do anything to make him want to change. Because he already knows he needs to lose. I have tried to get him to use MFP, because he's using the old WW core program points system (the one where a point is roughly 50 calories), because he finds it easier to keep track of 10 points for a meal than 500 calories, but whatever works.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    The only reason this topic is the least bit controversial is because of the obvious impact that over-eating has on one's appearance. If we were discussing a spouse's smoking, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, gambling problem, etc., or any other unhealthy habit, no one would hesitate to endorse engaging in a serious conversation about their habits. Instead, we weigh the effect that discussing overeating will have on their feelings, and either risk going forward and hurting their feelings or risk ignoring it and enabling a person who you love to remain unhealthy. I would hope that my loved ones have the courage to engage me about anything that I may be doing that is unhealthy, even if it is risks offending me or hurting my feelings.

This exactly!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Appearance, no. Food choices, no. Health and wellbeing, yes.

If hubby decides to lose a spectacular amount of weight on the Twinkie diet, all the power to him. I'd insist he take a multivitamin and I'll be around if it fails spectacularly. His intent to lose weight and better himself is supported 100%.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    The only reason this topic is the least bit controversial is because of the obvious impact that over-eating has on one's appearance. If we were discussing a spouse's smoking, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, gambling problem, etc., or any other unhealthy habit, no one would hesitate to endorse engaging in a serious conversation about their habits. Instead, we weigh the effect that discussing overeating will have on their feelings, and either risk going forward and hurting their feelings or risk ignoring it and enabling a person who you love to remain unhealthy. I would hope that my loved ones have the courage to engage me about anything that I may be doing that is unhealthy, even if it is risks offending me or hurting my feelings.

Oh this is absolutely true, and my husband and I have talked about my food choices, and overeating habits. All it made me do though is get sneakier and hide my excess food "binges" (not a clinical binge, merely eating an entire bag of Cheetos in one sitting) from him, a habit that I'm still having trouble breaking.

I still stand by my statement that they can talk until they are blue in the face, but unless the person they are talking to is willing to do the work to change, nothing will happen.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    jesslla wrote: »

Oh this is absolutely true, and my husband and I have talked about my food choices, and overeating habits. All it made me do though is get sneakier and hide my excess food "binges" (not a clinical binge, merely eating an entire bag of Cheetos in one sitting) from him, a habit that I'm still having trouble breaking.

I still stand by my statement that they can talk until they are blue in the face, but unless the person they are talking to is willing to do the work to change, nothing will happen.

Why wouldn't you be willing to be healthy and look good for your husband?
  • Need2Exerc1se

The last sentence is certainly true, but it's also true of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, gambling and other unhealthy habits. I don't see that as a reason not to mention it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their spouse to tell them if they no longer find them physically appealing. That can turn into a major marital issue and if my husband ever starts to feel that way about me, I very much want him to tell me so that we can discuss it and work on it together.

It's not always about finding them attractive. You can find someone attractive and still want them to stop an unhealthy habit even if it will change their looks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their spouse to tell them if they no longer find them physically appealing. That can turn into a major marital issue and if my husband ever starts to feel that way about me, I very much want him to tell me so that we can discuss it and work on it together.

It's not always about finding them attractive. You can find someone attractive and still want them to stop an unhealthy habit even if it will change their looks.

I know that, but there have a been a lot of comments in here where basically the person is saying that if their spouse finds them less attractive then too bad

OIC Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very healthy relationship to me.
  • Ironandwine69

Why wouldn't you be willing to be healthy and look good for your husband?

To be blunt, I didn't think I was worth it. I was sexually and emotionally abused as a child. I figured if I stayed fat and made myself ugly I would be invisible to men who would want to sexually assault me, and my self-worth said I didn't deserve to be loved because my mom told me I wasn't.

It wasn't until I was on the proper medications for my mental illness and had my PTSD treated that I was mentally capable of changing myself. I'm still afraid of attention from men, and still not convinced entirely that I'm worth it, I have a hard time feeling lovable, but I don't want to eat myself to death either.

I'm working on the self-esteem, and I'm a big enough witch-with-a-b that I can handle the men if they harass me.

I am so sorry you had to go through that. That's horrible.
    It does sound to me like you have a caring partner though. Don't hide from him. Love yourself for you and him. Those are the only two people who matter, other men don't.
  • Ironandwine69

I know that, but there have a been a lot of comments in here where basically the person is saying that if their spouse finds them less attractive then too bad

Because people sometimes make the mistake of thinking that love and attraction are two different things. And they are, in a way. You can love a person and not find them attractive anymore. But hey, at least there's love....
  • Need2Exerc1se

Because people sometimes make the mistake of thinking that love and attraction are two different things. And they are, in a way. You can love a person and not find them attractive anymore. But hey, at least there's love....

I'm not sure you can be 'in love' and not find someone attractive though. You may not find them pretty or handsome, but that isn't required for attraction.

I think attraction is what separates loving someone as you may love a friend or your mother and being in love as you ideally would be with your SO or spouse.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member

Not that I disgaree with the idea of mentioning it but I think the controversy is around the implied notion not of stopping the behavior itself, but because of the assumption that behavior results in them becoming less physically attractive.
  • PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    Personally I think that is a conversation that too people in a relationship should be able to have. Me and my boyfriend discuss this kind of thing all the time, however we may not be the best role models. Neither of us is particularly eloquent and neither of us generally gets offended over anything. So if he notices that I've put on a few pounds he will bluntly say "you've put on a few pounds" and vice versa. He isn't doing it to be mean, but because he knows me and knows I would rather him just say that then beat around the bush, but I don't expect this to work for everyone :D
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member

This is being super REAL! Thanks for the honesty!