Have you ever been insulted about your weight loss?

Replies

• starartist
    starartist Posts: 24 Member
    I don't think that it is an insult, but my mom will often say "Why are you so obsessed with the calories in everything? I think you are too obsessed with your weight. You shouldn't have to be worried about every bite of food."

But then she will complain to me that she isn't losing. :P
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    "Why don't you go for a walk? Or why don't you go to the gym with your mom?"

I say this to my own kids all the time, "come to the gym with me!" but that's so I dont have to go alone ;-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    "don't lose any more- you're good the way you are"

you don't need to worry about working out- you're already skinny/fit/small/ whatever fill in the blank.

why do you work out so much

why do you not eat XX

my favorite of all time

"why do you always go so hard at the gym??"
    um... because that's what working out is about- why would I come here and half *kitten* it? like that's just illogical.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    My dad asked me if I had a tapeworm.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    My sister keeps telling me I'm skinny in a very non-complimentary manner.

My mom told me I'm gonna get like one of those bulky unfeminine bodybuilder women when I told her I'm lifting. :grumble:
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    your boss called you a skinny *****? that is terrible
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Yes!! My father-in-law is the worst with this. If I lose weight he tells me Im to skinny and will blow away. And when Im fat he will grab my back fat. UGG!! :mad:
  • smb1186
    smb1186 Posts: 14 Member
    I've totally been there, I have the most insensitive mother in law. whenever their precious daughter is around. I hadn't seen them in about a month and half and have lost 24lbs,(Female, 5'7', 155-131), but had dropped the last 12 in that 6 week time. While eating breakfast her daughter was walking around in her bathing suit and has clearly put on weight (not trying to be catty, just she is very short and a ten pound gain in a bikini is very noticeable, especially when the suit clearly isn't fitting like it used to), and my mother in law just kept going on and on about how great her daughter looks. Meanwhile I'm just awkwardly sitting there feeling like crap that I have been working so hard and zip. In the end I am proud of myself and don't need compliments from others but sometimes that blatant ignorance sucks, makes me feel invisible.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    I just posted a very similar question earlier this week because I'm going through the same thing.

Now that I've lost 50+ pounds, I 'm being told to stop losing weight. They tell me things like: "Don't lose anymore, you're too thin." "Don't lose anymore, your wrinkles make you look old." Don't lose anymore, you'll look like you're sick."

These types of comments have really zapped my motivation. I know they mean well, but I'm far from being skinny. I'm 5'8" and currently 174 lbs. I'm aiming for between 150 and 160, which I think is a reasonable for my height.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    My mum was always on at me "are u eating" etc etc, I was at my thinnest at that point, watching what I ate and exercising 5 times a week, I felt great everyone thought I was to thin tho!!!
    Then Christmas I was tucking into my food at the table with all my family around (I had put on a bit of weight) and my mum said to me, " I'm not being funny Fiona but your piling on the beef"
    ????????????????????
    Can't win!!
    I hate when people say you don't need to loose weight, it's a personal choice, it really frustrates me when my bf says I don't need to cos he likes me the way I am........aarrgggghhhhhh I'm not doing it for ANYONE else other than myself!plus my BMI is 25 so if I want to loose a few pounds I think I'm safe
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

These types of comments have really zapped my motivation. I know they mean well, but I'm far from being skinny. I'm 5'8" and currently 174 lbs. I'm aiming for between 150 and 160, which I think is a reasonable for my height.

I don't think people who say those things "mean well". I think they're envious you're making changes.
    Ignore them. They'd LOVE to see you fail and backslide.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    I like the saying

"At first, they will ask you WHY your doing it,
    later, they'll ask you HOW you done it"
  • xAndreaWx
    xAndreaWx Posts: 17 Member
    YES.. THIS! The annoying cleaner in work takes great delight in telling me I look 'gaunt'.. I'm 5'2 and 133lbs.. perfectly healthy and far from gaunt. I put it down to jealously.. but its still not great to hear.. oh and she likes to tell me I look 'pasty'.. I'm white and I dont tan.. stop commenting on the way I look!! If only I was the kind of person that I could say this to her but I dont like to offend haha
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    What did people say to you?
    I've been told to not lose anymore weight, but I'm still considered overweight at 194lbs and I'm 5'8".

almost daily...apparently, fat is the new healthy. i just blow it off and go about my business. :happy:

good luck and have fun,
    Keith
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    In the distant past, a male friend told me I was losing all my womanly curves. No - he wasn't overweight himself.
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    I am also 5'8 and my Message therapist told me I am fat I told him "I should came to visit you when i weight 315lbs" he look at me with discuss I laughed and I said can I minus my bone weight which 8.7lbs? I have always struggles with my wieght I am still dropping weight but I am alos learning in the prosses I am down 260lbs thats includning my bone weight ;) my goal is 200lbs flat for now until the end of this year I know I can do it I just dont have time to tolerate people that are going to put me down. So I say to you if that makes you happy where you are at let it be but, If there something else you want to do to loose weight find away and educate yourself. You are in a great website :blushing:
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    I've gotten the "have you been sick?" question from someone who hadn't seen me for awhile. Of course, she's older, and she's been so overweight for years that her knees are shot and can barely walk.

Now that I'm in maintenance, my preteen kids keep grabbing my stomach when they hug me to make sure my stomach is still flat. It's making me very self-conscious--guess that's a good way to stay motivated!
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    "oh It is easy for you because you can dedicate all your time to working out and eating healthy since you don't have a husband or kids".

"you will gain it all back once you get a man". No, this is my new normal lifestyle and it is not going anywhere.

OMG these words came out of someone's mouth?!?!?! As a fellow single and child-less lady these hit too close to home. All I can say is, WOW!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    I've gotten the "have you been sick?" question from someone who hadn't seen me for awhile. Of course, she's older, and she's been so overweight for years that her knees are shot and can barely walk.

Now that I'm in maintenance, my preteen kids keep grabbing my stomach when they hug me to make sure my stomach is still flat. It's making me very self-conscious--guess that's a good way to stay motivated!

yup..it's always "are you trying to lose it, or are you sick"....sigh
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    I think people say the darndest thing. I get the "are you going to keep eating goofy" from one of my favorite clients. I was staring down a huge salad with cold boiled shrimp, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and radicshes. With a made from scratch vinegarette.

Just becasue I don't eat bread or cheese with my salad doesn't make me a "goofy" eater.

Your salad sounds amazing... yummmm