Have you ever been insulted about your weight loss?

1234568»

Replies

• triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    "Have you lost more weight? Your boobs are smaller."

Thank you.

If only they had stopped at "have you lost more weight"....
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    "Oh you're already skinny enough, so just remain that shape for the rest of your life"

Uh, I still have 20-30 more pounds to lose- I'm still considered overweight! :/
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Only ever had the "I think you have lost enough now once" and that was when I was when I was just under BMI 30 and the Lady in question was morbidly obese.

You can only control yourself and not what someone else does or says.

Just smile and move on.

oh and my family have been super supportive. My Wife is great and the kids are great. I can imagine that women get less support than men. Oh and my older sis who needed to lose a lot of weight, has done, is continuing to do so and is my inspiration. I just hope I can support her as well as she supports me.
  • emmajo99
    emmajo99 Posts: 6 Member
    Since I'm just starting out, I haven't experienced any of the "too skinny" insults, but I did get this from my friend/temporary roommate the other day:

Her: "How much weight have you lost?" (Not like it's any of your business, miss I-work-out-3-hours-a-day-and-look-perfect)
    Me: "I've lost 6 pounds if my starting weight was correct" (I didn't have a scale to get an original weight, just last Dr. appt)
    Her: "Oh, it's probably more like 4"

And another, before I started my lifestyle change:

A conversation between her and I about the thickness of our hair. Hers is really thin and mine is VERY thick.

"You know, my sister had really thick hair and she lost like 60 pounds and her hair got thin! Maybe if you lost 60 pounds, your hair will thin out!"

Uhhhh, I like my thick hair and I barely have 60lbs to lose! She has no filter to her mouth!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Ewwwww don't get too muscley

:noway:

If I wants so much muscle that I can't scratch my nose it is pretty much my problem and none of your business
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    This is such an interesting thread, to see how people are so used to the old you that they have a hard time getting used to the new you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    My dad asked me if I had a tapeworm.

I LOLed. Hard. How come dads always seem hilarious when they do this sort of thing but Moms get the brunt of our rage. Okay I'm just speaking for myself I guess :-)
  • I started at 128 lbs and lost 8lbs before I started this and and then afterwards lost 5 lbs and until I gained it all back all I heard from my mother was 'you're too skinny! you look anorexic," she couldn't ever encourage me :/
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    All the time and from many people; number one comment ---you are losing your curves, 2nd. Your booty is disappearing, and 3rd ----black girls don't look right skinny
    these are comments from my friends and family members
    thank goodness I don't suffer from low self esteem
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Have you noticed the people who are concerned are almost all overweight or morbidly obese?

Or jealous?

Yes I've noticed this!!... Back in college, the first time I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. (Eating right and working out everyday) An overweight acquaintance started telling people that I must be anorexic!! Even though out in public, she's the one that never finished her food.
  • FerociousKoala
    FerociousKoala Posts: 27 Member
    I got accused of having an eating disorder because I refused to eat a piece of cake!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    What did people say to you?
    I've been told to not lose anymore weight, but I'm still considered overweight at 194lbs and I'm 5'8".

I'm frequently told not to lose more weight. I don't consider it an insult, just ignorant. Since I'm 5'3" and 148 pounds, the medical charts say I'm overweight. I believe I should be about 130.

I'm also told that "older people are better off with some weight on them." Uh, hello? I'm in my late 50's, not exactly ready for an old folks home.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    I have been told that I "look like an Olsen twin" when I was at my thinnest. I regained some weight later and my brother told me, "yay, you look like a normal person again!"

This was when I went from being at the low end of normal weight to the high end of normal weight. Oh gosh.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    My favorite:

"Five pounds! That's all water weight."

"Ten pounds! That's all water weight."

"Twenty pounds! That's all water weight."

Yes, someone said that to me after I lost 20 pounds. Can't people just be cool and say, "You look great!"

lol really I would have slapped them!

I do all the time but I don't listen to any of them especially when they are almost twice the size of me an scoffing everything in sight ;) I don't want to be fat like you darling I always think ;)
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    From this thread it seems women get many more nasty comments than men do.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    I have only received positive comments about my loss. But maybe I turn a deaf ear to anything negative. Nope. Pretty sure it's positive.
  • ninjabarbie
    ninjabarbie Posts: 18 Member
    My mother used to comment on how skinny I was when I was competing at the national level, now that she decided to lose a bunch of weight through her work(a hospital), she is talking like she wants to be the weight I was when I was in high school. Boy how things change. Here I am trying to get over my obsessive compulsive working out/eating issues and she's the one that thinks she needs to be the size she was when she had me. Ok, maybe that is somewhat reasonable, but it's interesting how she completely flipped it around and now wants to be even thinner than I was when I was competing and she is even taller and bigger boned than me.
  • ninjabarbie
    ninjabarbie Posts: 18 Member
    What did people say to you?
    I've been told to not lose anymore weight, but I'm still considered overweight at 194lbs and I'm 5'8".

I'm frequently told not to lose more weight. I don't consider it an insult, just ignorant. Since I'm 5'3" and 148 pounds, the medical charts say I'm overweight. I believe I should be about 130.

I'm also told that "older people are better off with some weight on them." Uh, hello? I'm in my late 50's, not exactly ready for an old folks home.

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear it was healthier to be heavier when you are older? I've heard the reverse.
  • JSTworkinout
    JSTworkinout Posts: 20 Member
    I have had all those same comments. Some will ask what are you doing you look like your starving yourself. I felt like i had to explain every thing my diet my food exercise every detail only to see in their faces they don't really really care. Most actually look board in your story. I even have forced myself to over eat which is what made me over weight in the first place. So now im trying to loose the few pounds i forced myself to gain and get my positive mentality back but its not easy im guessing society is used to fat and not skinny or healthy people and certainly not anyone that has worked really hard to get there. I really would like a group of people that i can talk with meet with workout with in my area but no one on this site is responding to my invites im bummed about that but will keep trying. Its nice for these community chats but having real people real experiences with them is what im looking for