Embarrassed about losing weight

13»

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I'm not embarrassed about losing weight, but I've been modest. I don't want to be one of those people obsessively talking about diet and exercise and stuff...I come here for that. I'll happily chat with others about it in real life, but I don't go out of my way to do so. It does make some people uncomfortable for various reasons.

Also, yeah it's a real accomplishment. But there are values and goals I hold higher, too. Weight loss is important, but not as much as being kind, doing good work, working towards a better world, and so on.
  • crowed1993
    crowed1993 Posts: 61 Member
    Add me!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    What really matters is getting your close family and friends on board with your loss journey. People outside that circle are superfluous, more of a distraction.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Last night my elderly mother remarked proudly about my weight loss right in front of my sister who struggles with her weight and who is in despair about it lately. I felt very embarrassed about it and I felt awful for my sister. The subject was quickly changed and the awkward moment passed without comment.

Still feel badly about it, though.
  • FaeryLove18
    FaeryLove18 Posts: 41 Member
    I wouldn't say I felt/feel embarrassed, but that if they know and I don't achieve my goals then its like I let them down. I know i am the one who wants and needs to lose the weight, but in the back of my mind thats how I feel. It is that fear of failure that keeps me quiet around everyone other than my mom and of course being on here.
  • Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Not as embarrassing as being fat and uncomfortable in my own skin.

If you try to lose so weight, you have a problem that you have identified and you want to commit to resolve it- that's the opposite of embarrassing.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
    I have a positive talent for losing weight, but a short attention span. So, regaining is what I get embarrassed about, and mostly to myself. I still have some more lbs to lose, but I'm trying to look ahead to the post-loss era to apply what I've learned to maintenance. The problem is that one can't be certain of the future until it's past!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    I don't bring it up to anyone, don't see the need. If they say it looks like I'm slimming down I say thanks.

Can't say I'm embarrassed by it, more embarrassed I let myself get to where I'm at now.