Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

1Madgirl's weight loss journey

12346

Replies

  • Vanguard1Vanguard1 Posts: 372Member Member Posts: 372Member Member
    You've got it!
  • Brendalea69Brendalea69 Posts: 3,461Member Member Posts: 3,461Member Member


    I hope you do too, Good luck!!! o:)
    edited May 2017
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    Thank you both <3
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    Heyy people. I had an awesome workout yesterday!
    I felt so strong! Loved it!!

    85lbs deadlifting and 68lbs barbell squats :) Still a long way to go but I'm so thankful I managed these last night.

    I was surprised how light I felt the barbell rod was at 40lbs. Just made my day. I'm addicted! I just can't wait to fast forward to a few months where I'll be even stronger. My bicep is showing itself a bit more as well... the left arm is trying to keep up lmao

    I have three questions, if I may:
    1. What do you guys think of carb cycling? Having some days of low carb. Will that affect my muscle gains?
    2. My biceps are growing but my triceps are not. Should I add any specific exercises
    3. My glute is not looking good at all.. Is it bad if I do hip thrusts 5 times a week in addition to my workout routine?
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
  • wsandy8512wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897Member Member Posts: 1,897Member Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Heyy people. I had an awesome workout yesterday!
    I felt so strong! Loved it!!

    85lbs deadlifting and 68lbs barbell squats :) Still a long way to go but I'm so thankful I managed these last night.

    I was surprised how light I felt the barbell rod was at 40lbs. Just made my day. I'm addicted! I just can't wait to fast forward to a few months where I'll be even stronger. My bicep is showing itself a bit more as well... the left arm is trying to keep up lmao

    I have three questions, if I may:
    1. What do you guys think of carb cycling? Having some days of low carb. Will that affect my muscle gains?
    2. My biceps are growing but my triceps are not. Should I add any specific exercises
    3. My glute is not looking good at all.. Is it bad if I do hip thrusts 5 times a week in addition to my workout routine?

    Wow, you go ahead on! Yay on the biceps showing some more. I'd look into advice from a body building community for how to best build up problem areas. However, I can tell you this, my daughter is fit and tiny (5'4" and 115 pounds) and she is muscular from the booty to thighs. She squats over 100lbs, just twice a week. She's an octo-lavo vegetarian so she gets her protein from eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts and seeds, as well as protein shakes.

    Remember, while you can build muscle everywhere, you can't spot train areas where the fat leaves from. You could do a thousand squats a week and the fat may leave your forearm or other areas you don't even notice. Just be patient. Recheck your calorie requirements to ensure you're getting enough calories and keep protein up there to help build lean muscle mass.

    Best to you!
  • Vanguard1Vanguard1 Posts: 372Member Member Posts: 372Member Member
    I can give advice on 2 out of 3. For your triceps, give dips a try. As a compound exercise it works the tri as well as other muscles, that will help with appearance. Same theory for your biceps, instead of isolation exercises, pull ups will build biceps and keep everything in proportion. If you cant do a pull up, look into an assistance band, usually under 10 bucks.
    As far as glutes go, hip thrusts are fine to add in for assistance, but the squats should do the most shaping. In a polite way of saying, most women who squat regularly have well shaped glutes!!!
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Wow, you go ahead on! Yay on the biceps showing some more. I'd look into advice from a body building community for how to best build up problem areas. However, I can tell you this, my daughter is fit and tiny (5'4" and 115 pounds) and she is muscular from the booty to thighs. She squats over 100lbs, just twice a week. She's an octo-lavo vegetarian so she gets her protein from eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts and seeds, as well as protein shakes.

    Remember, while you can build muscle everywhere, you can't spot train areas where the fat leaves from. You could do a thousand squats a week and the fat may leave your forearm or other areas you don't even notice. Just be patient. Recheck your calorie requirements to ensure you're getting enough calories and keep protein up there to help build lean muscle mass.

    Best to you!

    Thank you!

    Your daughter must have an amazing figure!

    I tried finding an active group for my needs but no luck so far! Will keep looking though!
    I have squats incorporated in my routine twice a week... and i've been increasing every week so here's hoping :)

    I weigh and count calories everyday and I pay special attention to that protein! :)

    Thanks ill keep trying! :)
  • wsandy8512wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897Member Member Posts: 1,897Member Member
    ^^Perfect advice and truth on your glute remarks. I told my daughter that I hope to have a lower section like hers some days. She's big on squatting. I think she could crack pistachios with her thigh muscles. Lol
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    I can give advice on 2 out of 3. For your triceps, give dips a try. As a compound exercise it works the tri as well as other muscles, that will help with appearance. Same theory for your biceps, instead of isolation exercises, pull ups will build biceps and keep everything in proportion. If you cant do a pull up, look into an assistance band, usually under 10 bucks.
    As far as glutes go, hip thrusts are fine to add in for assistance, but the squats should do the most shaping. In a polite way of saying, most women who squat regularly have well shaped glutes!!!

    I've never tried dips before! Thanks, I'll give that a go! :)
    Re: pull-ups I'll check with the power cage whether I can do these :) hope so!

    I squat twice a week (part of the thinner, leaner, stronger plan)
    Maybe I'll add an extra 3 sets in somewhere of lighter squats

    Thanks!
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I think she could crack pistachios with her thigh muscles. Lol

    perfect motivation! <3

  • shans34shans34 Posts: 535Member Member Posts: 535Member Member
    You are doing a fantastic job! Very good
  • blambo61blambo61 Posts: 4,372Member Member Posts: 4,372Member Member
    I second what @Vanguard1 says. Do compound exercises that work lots of things at the same time. There is no need for isolation exercises (bicep curls etc). They just take up more time. Things like bench, row, mil press, lat pull down, upright rows, and dips will work about everything upper body wise including biceps and triceps. Do that and some core stuff for abs and lower back (crunches and back-ups). Do squats and deadlifts and calf raises for legs. I do leg presses (or used to) instead of squats because my back doesn't like squats. Squats are more of a compound lift and require core muscles whereas leg presses are more of a leg isolation exercise.

    If your going for strength, I would only lift 1-3xweek for a muscle group and no more (I like to go 2xweek and I don't try to go very low reps and high weights or a ton of sets or reps either - Im in the middle somewhere). If its endurance your after, you can go light weights and probably go more often (you can do push-ups about every day but you can't go heavy bench everyday).

    The LEANGAINs guy tries to get folks lean and strong by lifting about 1xweek per exercise using compound lifts and going very heavy and also eat carbs on lift days and don't on non-lift days and do a 16:8 type of diet also. That is what I understand about that (may not have that just right but close I think).

    You cannot spot reduce unless you want to try to freeze some of it off which I would not attempt.
    edited May 2017
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    I've been sick lately and surely gained weight.

    So I won't be weighing myself for a while. Till I get healthy and all.
  • wsandy8512wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897Member Member Posts: 1,897Member Member
    Oh no, hope you feel better soon!
  • Vanguard1Vanguard1 Posts: 372Member Member Posts: 372Member Member
    Oh no, hope you feel better soon.
  • Brendalea69Brendalea69 Posts: 3,461Member Member Posts: 3,461Member Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I've been sick lately and surely gained weight.

    So I won't be weighing myself for a while. Till I get healthy and all.

    I hope you're feeling better really soon!!!
  • shans34shans34 Posts: 535Member Member Posts: 535Member Member
    Feel better soon!
  • blambo61blambo61 Posts: 4,372Member Member Posts: 4,372Member Member
    Good luck. Get better soon!
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Posts: 836Member Member Posts: 836Member Member
    Thank you all :)
Sign In or Register to comment.