Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Bodybuilding motivation friends

Replies

• zika007zika007 Posts: 29Member Member Posts: 29Member Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    zika007 wrote: »
    I am not a skinny built bulking works to a certain degree with me. Suppose women can only get to a certain size when staying natural. I don't see myself as big but a lot of my friends and family think I'm getting too masculine. Don't know if I was suffering from body dysmorphia or just seriously addicted to lifting.

It's a mind *kitten* to be so excited about what we think are healthy and beautiful changes in our bodies and then have a loved one say something to mess with that. I've also had to question my thinking based on comments from others - is this commitment or an unhealthy obsession? I'm the only one of my friends and family who is into lifting and meal planning, so around them, it feels like an unhealthy obsession. But in places like this forum and Insta, I'm just one of many who value the same aesthetics and enjoy fitting things poptarts into my plan.
    I had to take my insta down as a result of clashing opinions in my family. I have never posted any explicit pictures of myself neither did I have any flirty conversations still was classed as attention seeking exhibitionist ..... so wrong

• leajas1leajas1 Posts: 823Member Member Posts: 823Member Member
    I am not a skinny built bulking works to a certain degree with me. Suppose women can only get to a certain size when staying natural. I don't see myself as big but a lot of my friends and family think I'm getting too masculine. Don't know if I was suffering from body dysmorphia or just seriously addicted to lifting.

It's a mind *kitten* to be so excited about what we think are healthy and beautiful changes in our bodies and then have a loved one say something to mess with that. I've also had to question my thinking based on comments from others - is this commitment or an unhealthy obsession? I'm the only one of my friends and family who is into lifting and meal planning, so around them, it feels like an unhealthy obsession. But in places like this forum and Insta, I'm just one of many who value the same aesthetics and enjoy fitting things poptarts into my plan.
    I had to take my insta down as a result of clashing opinions in my family. I have never posted any explicit pictures of myself neither did I have any flirty conversations still was classed as attention seeking exhibitionist ..... so wrong

Yes, it's a completely different culture over there! Ugh, I'm sorry that this negative twist has been put on something that you are so proud of.
  • tmemerytmemery Posts: 15Member Member Posts: 15Member Member
    Hi are you Mary from Idaho?
  • kzooyogikzooyogi Posts: 121Member Member Posts: 121Member Member
    Please add me! I'm new to heavy lifting but am focusing on making it a priority! I'm a yogi trying to make my practice stronger through adding muscle.
    tmemery wrote: »
    Hi are you Mary from Idaho?
    hi .... no I'm not Mary sorry :s

• Fitnessfaith7465Fitnessfaith7465 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    Add me if you'd like. I'm working on toning my body
    Add me if you'd like. I'm working on toning my body
    hey we already are friends

Yes, it's a completely different culture over there! Ugh, I'm sorry that this negative twist has been put on something that you are so proud of.

I agree you can't understand unless you live the life of a bodybuilder. Our bodies are results of hard work and gruelling discipline. We inspire and motivate each other it's not about sexualising everything. It's those who judge us are guilty exactly of that
  • Muscle_for_FitnessMuscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,182Member Member Posts: 2,182Member Member

I agree you can't understand unless you live the life of a bodybuilder. Our bodies are results of hard work and gruelling discipline. We inspire and motivate each other it's not about sexualising everything. It's those who judge us are guilty exactly of that

Keep doing what you are doing. You look great and it makes you happy and that is what really matters. Don't let others ruin something that you work hard for and love.
  • AgentFlexAgentFlex Posts: 200Member Member Posts: 200Member Member
    You can add me if you'd like! I am a mother of one, not competing in bodybuilding or powerlifting (yet) but am essentially training for them both.
    AgentFlex wrote: »
    You can add me if you'd like! I am a mother of one, not competing in bodybuilding or powerlifting (yet) but am essentially training for them both.
    Hi nice to meet you my strong friend :)

AgentFlex wrote: »
    nice to meet you strong friend :)

• lady_ghostlady_ghost Posts: 175Member, Premium Member Posts: 175Member, Premium Member
    Has it become an obsession ?
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Has it become an obsession ?
    Well I don't see it that way :| the way I'm training requires the time I put in .... it's a lifestyle.....but yea I do get accused of being obsessed
  • blackcomaroblackcomaro Posts: 790Member Member Posts: 790Member Member
    You look great in your profile pic. You got the right attitude. I to live the obsessive lifestyle.... but DILLIGAF...lol... good luck on your journey
  • RoxieDawnRoxieDawn Posts: 15,518Member Member Posts: 15,518Member Member
    I am not competing in bodybuilding, just a 49 year old woman working on body composition. Currently 3 weeks post bulk (3rd one) far from bulkay but quite stalky.

My family knows what I am striving for and would never call me obsessed, more like dedicated to my goals and the process to get there.

OP you look fantastic. I could always welcome another lady lifter to my friends list.
  • Skee_2802Skee_2802 Posts: 291Member, Premium Member Posts: 291Member, Premium Member
    Sometimes family / friends can't appreciate or understand the journey or goals one might be trying to achieve. You look great btw. More power to you!
  • mom23mangosmom23mangos Posts: 2,762Member Member Posts: 2,762Member Member
    Hi everyone. Looking for some friends who struggle with motivation. I am a married mom of 3 and have been training bodybuilding style for 3 years. I don't compete and sometimes I find myself being stuck in a limbo. Got to a stage where I am afraid to slow down always worrying about loosing my "gains". I am one of the girls who is not afraid to get bulky yet my family don't agree. Anyone else with similar dilemma out there?

I think you look great, but also know that it's a look that would not be attractive to lots of people. I train hard, along with my husband, and we both compete so know the hard yards that go in to being dedicated to training and diet (not just to prep for shows).....

It is our lifestyle, and it helps that we do it together, but I do think there's an element of obsession to it, and it's not necessarily healthy. We have both lost friends and seen others have relationships fail because of gym/training, and its sad. At the end of the day, having muscles doesn't make anyone a good person, and it is ultimately a selfish pursuit,that takes up lots of time both in and out if the gym.

I don't just want to be remembered as the person who trained hard and had muscles and was dedicated to the gym and diet, I'm so much more than that, and there's more to life than looking a certain way....your kids won't care if you have smaller biceps, but they will care if you miss a concert or story time, or can't enjoy an icecream with them guilt free because of your hobby. (not saying this is you, just a generalisation!)

I think this needs to be framed and hung in all our houses. Best thing I've read in ages.
  • mom23mangosmom23mangos Posts: 2,762Member Member Posts: 2,762Member Member
    You look fantastic btw OP. You can definitely see the hard work and dedication you have put in.