Products of Interest: CANADIAN Edition

Replies

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Just found this thread and making notes!
    Walden Farms products I found at Pharmasave of all places! I expect there is artificial sweeteners in their products to make them so low cal, but worth a try.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    PC now has a house brand low cal ice cream that is around that price. the pb choco chip isn't too bad. choco one is so-so i prefer breyers i think.
    Irresistible, an in house Metro / Food Basics brand, has now low calorie "ice cream" similiar to Hato Top or Breyers offerings for a relatively cheap $3.99. Bought bday cake to try, very VERY good.

Volume?

But volume though, how much ice cream for 3.99?

The usual ~500ml tubs.
    Much better deal for volume is the Chapman's chocolate for same price and calories but 2L. But again, you dont have vary many choices of flavour.

this. none of the low fat ones are gonna be a deal financially. but I buy smaller and more expensive because
    1 - I don't want a big tub of ice cream in the house. full stop. i have portion control issues even now
    2 - the fancy flavours are still much lower call than frozen yogurt options. i checked. PB version of frozen yogurt are in the 160-170-180 cal per 125ml VS 100. To me that matters.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    PC now has a house brand low cal ice cream that is around that price. the pb choco chip isn't too bad. choco one is so-so i prefer breyers i think.
    Irresistible, an in house Metro / Food Basics brand, has now low calorie "ice cream" similiar to Hato Top or Breyers offerings for a relatively cheap $3.99. Bought bday cake to try, very VERY good.

Volume?

The usual ~500ml tubs.
    Much better deal for volume is the Chapman's chocolate for same price and calories but 2L. But again, you dont have vary many choices of flavour.

this. none of the low fat ones are gonna be a deal financially. but I buy smaller and more expensive because
    1 - I don't want a big tub of ice cream in the house. full stop. i have portion control issues even now
    2 - the fancy flavours are still much lower call than frozen yogurt options. i checked. PB version of frozen yogurt are in the 160-170-180 cal per 125ml VS 100. To me that matters.

(Slight philosophical rant, not at you, just in general)

I totally get you, but it's unfortunate that this marketing is successful. This ice cream unless enriched with protein which some of them are, are surely cheaper to make as they are using stabilisers and less actual food-stuffs, the enriched ones are also probably cheaper to make too. Haagen Daz and Ben and Jerry's being more expensive makes total sense as they're made of pure cream, so I totally get that, but these aren't. By selling it in trendy pints for more money, and not in the big tubs as well, they're actually taking advantage of the consumer. There's no reason for them to not actually have the creative flavours in their normal offerings. I'm sure a few years from now one of the bigger ice cream players will start doing large tubs to disrupt this, and bring the entire price down for the small ones too, and then I would be more than happy to buy them.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see people taken advantage of. I know this is minor of course, it's just one of those stupid things that drives me nuts. if everyone was a value oriented consumer, better consumer offerings would come quicker. This is the same reason greek yogurt is like $6 a container when it should be $3.
  • Panini911
    edited May 2019

Volume?

The usual ~500ml tubs.

I totally get you, but it's unfortunate that this marketing is successful. This ice cream unless enriched with protein which some of them are, are surely cheaper to make as they are using stabilisers and less actual food-stuffs, the enriched ones are also probably cheaper to make too. Haagen Daz and Ben and Jerry's being more expensive makes total sense as they're made of pure cream, so I totally get that, but these aren't. By selling it in trendy pints for more money, and not in the big tubs as well, they're actually taking advantage of the consumer. There's no reason for them to not actually have the creative flavours in their normal offerings. I'm sure a few years from now one of the bigger ice cream players will start doing large tubs to disrupt this, and bring the entire price down for the small ones too, and then I would be more than happy to buy them.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see people taken advantage of. I know this is minor of course, it's just one of those stupid things that drives me nuts. if everyone was a value oriented consumer, better consumer offerings would come quicker. This is the same reason greek yogurt is like $6 a container when it should be $3.

And i get it's not for you. We are looking at it from different perspectives add giving completely different values to the various pros/cons/attributes

I also pay more for locally made ice cream pints (which are more than Halo Top!)

• sparkle43
    sparkle43 Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2019
    I found the receipes called Looney Spoons on line. Authors Janet and Greta Podleskl. Someone mentioned not sure where in here. It has the calories and all the important things that will help us. Being Canadians. The American food is different. Alot of times I can not find it. In my stores in Canada.

http://janetandgreta.com/recipes/ they have a blog. Plus you can buy there books. They are sisters. Plus they are on Youtube. For those who cannot afford to buy a book.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYgs3KPT85N1fuX9X-6petw
  • Spadesheart
    edited May 2019

Volume?

The usual ~500ml tubs.

I think you completely are missing the point why companies created these "ice cream like desserts" (these are not allowed to be called ice cream in Canada, and why they are so popular.

Oh I'm not, they're low calorie and protein enriched and thus very diet friendly, but they are because they are not actually as much real food. There is no reason for them to be expensive other than inflated perceived value. This is a problem with our consumer psychology, that we are often not value oriented, and they can and do exploit that.

I'm the type of idiot that would buy an ice cream maker, and learn how to xantham gum this crap at home out of spite hahaha.

I don't want to keep being a wet blanket so this is the last I'll comment on it.

Soooo products of interest... Have you guys been to bulk barn recently? They got like a surprisingly awesome tea selection that keeps getting better.

Also if you're high protein they have vital wheat gluten which is amazing. Seitan is super easy to whip up.
  • Spadesheart

Volume?

The usual ~500ml tubs.

I think you completely are missing the point why companies created these "ice cream like desserts" (these are not allowed to be called ice cream in Canada, and why they are so popular.

Oh I'm not, they're low calorie and protein enriched and thus very diet friendly, but they are because they are not actually as much real food. There is no reason for them to be expensive other than inflated perceived value. This is a problem with our consumer psychology, that we are often not value oriented, and they can and do exploit that.

I'm the type of idiot that would buy an ice cream maker, and learn how to xantham gum this crap at home out of spite hahaha.

I don't want to keep being a wet blanket so this is the last I'll comment on it.

Soooo products of interest... Have you guys been to bulk barn recently? They got like a surprisingly awesome tea selection that keeps getting better.

Also if you're high protein they have vital wheat gluten which is amazing. Seitan is super easy to whip up.

I am this type of an idiot and no matter how much I tried the results are not even close.

America's test kitchen did a really great video on ice cream making! How to ensure a smooth product. Might help!
  • Spadesheart

Volume?

The usual ~500ml tubs.

I am this type of an idiot and no matter how much I tried the results are not even close.

America's test kitchen did a really great video on ice cream making! How to ensure a smooth product. Might help!

I know how to make ice cream. Pretty good at that. I am talking about making product similar to HT, Breyers or any other low calorie concoction.

...a challenge haha
  • Spadesheart
    FYI......... McDonalds have their "ice cream" cones now for $1 until Sept.

Wendy's frostys too! Though not quite as calorie safe. 100% fitting those in at maintainence though.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member

Wendy's frostys too! Though not quite as calorie safe. 100% fitting those in at maintainence though.
    Ohhhhhhh man. I can’t go near a Wendy’s right now. I’m obsessed with their Baconators and am trying to eat mindfully. I wouldn’t be able to resist 😂😜
  • Spadesheart

Ohhhhhhh man. I can’t go near a Wendy’s right now. I’m obsessed with their Baconators and am trying to eat mindfully. I wouldn’t be able to resist 😂😜

I actually really hope they put their spicy chicken sandwich on sale again sometime this year. They had it for $3 for like a month last year and that thing is great. 510 calories with 28 grams of protein. That's easy enough to fit in, and it's pretty good!
  • Panini911
    Found some of the new Good North today. actually at two places. One was going at $8? $9? so i passed. Then I was at Freshco randomly and they had them at $5-6. So I picked up the cookie dough. They did not have the pb. i took a bite of it as soon as i got home and not sure i'll eat much of it. super...fake vanilla-y? will give it a real try later.

They also seemed to have the low cal so delicious "mousse" but were out of the chocolate, will have to stop by there to find it another day.
    http://sodeliciousdairyfree.ca/mousse/
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    sh02409v550g.jpg

These, as you probably know aren't new products but was able to find the regular bottle versions of a multiple of flavors (Salted Chocolate Espresso is SO good...btw) at Homesense/Marshalls or Winners. Now (during my travels this last week) it seems the stores are not really carrying them anymore (ag!!!)

There used to be an entire shelf devoted to these things at most locations...now your lucky to find one or two bottles . I've asked the sales people but they don't know much.

Decided on this variety pack - the only thing I could find...

Does anyone know about this?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    sh02409v550g.jpg

These, as you probably know aren't new products but was able to find the regular bottle versions of a multiple of flavors (Salted Chocolate Espresso is SO good...btw) at Homesense/Marshalls or Winners. Now (during my travels this last week) it seems the stores are not really carrying them anymore (ag!!!)

There used to be an entire shelf devoted to these things at most locations...now your lucky to find one or two bottles . I've asked the sales people but they don't know much.

Decided on this variety pack - the only thing I could find...

Does anyone know about this?

These things come and go. When you find what you like is best to stock up. I do. If you find mocha or Irish cream make sure to buy buy buy

both sound great...would love to try...as soon as find them...hopefully:)
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    These things come and go. When you find what you like is best to stock up. I do.

Agreed, it's hit or miss at my local Winners. Sometimes they have tons, sometimes it's slim pickings. One time I randomly found the Birthday Cake and Waffle Cone in the aisle where you wait to pay, so it's worth checking there too.

Jordan's does have a Canadian version of their website, but prices are much higher ordering from there and shipping isn't cheap. Good selection though!

• PAPYRUS3
    edited June 2019
    These things come and go. When you find what you like is best to stock up. I do. [/quote]

Agreed, it's hit or miss at my local Winners. Sometimes they have tons, sometimes it's slim pickings. One time I randomly found the Birthday Cake and Waffle Cone in the aisle where you wait to pay, so it's worth checking there too.

Jordan's does have a Canadian version of their website, but prices are much higher ordering from there and shipping isn't cheap. Good selection though!

[/quote]

Thanks...and yes I do/did check that long 'yellow brick road' check out line too and would rather wait for 'my' flavors to appear in store (don't want to pay for Jordan's pricing online)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/lifestylefood/you-can-get-a-free-buffet-meal-at-mandarin-restaurants-across-ontario-this-canada-day-weekend/ar-AADm4ho?li=AAggxAX

For those who live out in Ontario...
    redcase wrote: »
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Regarding the free buffet, yea good luck with getting in. People see "free" and "food" and its like an Armageddon.

I've heard people waiting between 2 and 6 hours in the past for this! Not worth the savings if you ask me!
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Did anyone try these yet? They aren't super new but my Fortino's just got them about a month ago.

yesitspizza-spinachpng.png
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    redcase wrote: »
    Did anyone try these yet? They aren't super new but my Fortino's just got them about a month ago.

yesitspizza-spinachpng.png

Yeap. For fake pizza is pretty good, but the calories arent that much off from their regular offerings. Try to find the cauliflower pizzas. Much better.

Are the cauliflower ones gluten free? Not sure if any of my local stores stock those.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I don't know if this stuff has been mentioned already but it's really good! It's cottage cheese instead of cream cheese and 3 grams of protein per 25 calorie serving!

e081v4sv01ti.jpg