Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the not so exact science of calorie tracking/logging driving you bonkers? Any Type As or ISTJs?

Options
2»

Replies

• RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Love everyone's response. My first go around to weight loss, I dropped about 100lbs. All without tracking a single number or weighing foods. I just love my data and I do understand that it's more about consistency and averages. I think the problem is the onslaught of all the gadgets that are readily available now, since it's spitting out a number, it's hard for me to not get buried in analyzing my goal plan. I do appreciate ya'lls input, I was more curious if anyone else was bothered by the margin of error. Regardless, I think it's a great tool as opposed to not having one at all. Thanks again!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever had to lose weight where I had to think about it. I was always in high active occupations where my physical performance is mission critical. I've had a Polar HRM since 1996 and this is nearly as accurate as medical grade monitoring equipment. I have access to all manner of metabolics testing in our lab and the surprising thing is that my class A lab gear provides the same statistically significant results as the MFP output - within +/- three sigma values.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't stress over it and quit logging a year ago because I felt I had a good grasp of how to eat from a calorie point of view. When I was logging I got pretty good at looking at a plate of food and logging it as "that looks like about 1200 calories". I always went high on the estimates and when searching the database never took the low ones. I only got good at this method after lots of research and looking up or using barcodes so it wasn't like I didn't practice at it. I did it this way because its not always possible to weigh all food. My trackers and apps were strictly to allow extra room for my favorite food group, booze! They are also very convenient, my scale, FitBit, Runtastic all sync to MFP. As a numbers guy you would love the Aria scale from FitBit. It logs weight & body fat % and syncs to the FitBit app. You can then pull up a graph of a week, month or year(s) to reveal trends and the best part is all you need to do is step on and off the scale. It also will break you of the habit of weighing multiple times a day.
    Edit: I wouldn't change setting all that much. I like to try something and see what happens over several weeks to see if it is working. Usually working means a loss or reduction in body fat.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    RCKT82 wrote: »
    I was more curious if anyone else was bothered by the margin of error.

for myself, not so much but that's probably because i'm too arsey to spend the time weighing things like carrots on my own personal scale. so i already don't 'really' know what i'm eating and that makes the idea of 'accuracy' at the other end of the equation ridiculous.

what does irritate me is these prepackaged indian entrees i use, that give a calorie count in volume but then only have units of weight for the entree itself. like, i don't mind the fault tolerance in the calorie concept itself, but i hate mental clutter and a number that has no context or useful reference points is just meaningless.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You all know that Myers-Briggs was devised by two very untrained mother-daughter housewives who had a lot of interest in Carl Jung, and is about as scientific as tarot cards, right?

It's not held in any regard as scientifically valid personality testing. Any awe at how accurate and insightful it is comes down to the Forer Effect and not that the test actually works.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek about numbers, but view the calories (and to some extent the macros) as less hard and fast TRUTH than fields of probability. If six ounces of beef is supposed to be 300 calories, I'm going to figure it as such and presume the regression to the mean will normalize it over the long term.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I thought ISTJs were supposed to be logically & practically-orientated? (If these personality descriptions have any usefulness at all).

This kind of difficulty with handling imprecision and focusing on a level of detail that cannot be accounted for is a very irrational and impractical approach, especially if you don't want to be driven bonkers. The world is messy and imprecise: you need a practical and logical approach for that. Cut out 99% of that timewasting detail, do the same basic things, and spend that inclination to obsess over detail and numbers learning finance or something that adds actual value to your life. Win win!