WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    I am going someday to see the birthplace of my grandfather and sit by the beach and drink wine!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Almost missed there was a dog there as it's blending in with both of your pants!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    edited May 2017
    Gloria - Where was that? :)

Well, my team, Arsenal, won the FA Cup. :D England won the one day cricket. :D Today is AF. Hooray! (I will save the celebrating for tomorrow. ) :drinker:

Lovely, sunny evening.

I'm thinking about my son and family settling in to the villa in Portugal. <3

Janetr - I've never been to Greece, though DH has, many times. When he was with his last partner (who died) who was also a teacher, they used to go to a Greek island for the whole of the summer holidays. He often talks about it. In those days it was cheaper to holiday over there than to stay at home. A simple, healthy life.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Louis reminds me of taking my medications; and, fusses when I have forgotten it. Like this week … I forgot to take my morning meds until he came home and discovered they were still in my pill box. He is a really positive person, although I do know what makes him get stressed and what he says when he is. Then, I try to get him out of it. He knows my stressors which he really tries to get me away from it/them/her/whatever.
    For years, even now, I have written in Journals … my feelings; I have even typed answers to posts and then deleted them. Typing is extremely soothing to me. However, writing has become almost impossible for me due to my hands shaking so bad … worse if I have to sign my name (unless the counter is just at them right height or I can bend over and write a check from my checkbook on a table. Really frustrating to me because it is a side-effect of the medication and taking it for reasons that I cannot go off it. I have had a crushing headache all week; but, got my yearly physical on Tuesday. My BP has been all over the place. But, they took me off the BP medication after a month because my BP had dropped so low. I get very dizzy and sometimes a little nauseous when I first get up and occasionally when I go to get something to eat.
    I am a procrastinator; but, when I want something (or done) I can stay on it like a ‘bird dog’. I think he finally decided that it was time to get the porch finished for me. I sometimes don’t notice things that are important. Like my tag on my car is ‘out of date’ and I swear I thought I had bought it. Can’t find the registration that comes with the new tag; so I have got to call Tuesday and have them look it up.

“Hind’s Feet on High Places” is a good book, thin, too; about how life takes us up one hill (either positive or negative) and then we see another hill; but, to get there we have to walk down in the valley. Along the way there are several things that we either notice or walk by. How much mystery there is in most of our lives? We can either stop or rest when we come upon these odd things along the way or we can continue on and be tired by the time we get there. When my Daddy died the preacher talked about it and how my Daddy had enjoyed his journey through life and a lot of that because my Mother took the journey with him. They traveled a lot when they were able and had hit all the states in search of things that sometimes tied them back to family. They even went to Russia for 10 days to 2 weeks with a group of attorneys and their wives to learn how different our judicial system is compared to theirs. I know my Daddy came home and said that the interpreter ran over after Daddy had given our “OK” (I understand) sign to tell the man that it meant something totally different in America than it did in their country and explaining it I think upset my Daddy because he would have never done it because it was like shooting a ‘bird’ (single digit middle finger salute).

Pip – Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Becca – Sometimes after I have taken a ‘hot’ shower; I will walk through the door totally naked and give the ‘come hither’ pose for DH. Sometimes he is so tired that he just laughs at me.

The seller is not supposed to charge you if they counter an offer and you don’t take it. The only time they are supposed to charge you is ‘if you pull out of the contract for no good reason’. Most of the time a buyer does not lose their ‘earnest money’. If they did, I think I would complain to my realtor about it. But, of course, things might be different there than it is here. Usually the higher the ‘earnest money’ fee is, the more likely you want to house. I don’t think realtors in this part of our country charge you a fee if you stop looking for a while; but, it has been 15 years since we were in the market for selling (our house) and buying (the land on which we bought it); house sold quickly; and we had had a ‘balloon note’ on the land and rolled it over by paying the interest that had incurred on it every 3 or 6 months. Since we planted a stand of pines, the price per acre has increased. We’ve thinned it twice; but, have about 20 dead trees that need to come down. One of the pines is close to the house, so it definitely needs to come down. Cutting them down keeps the beetles from moving on to the next tree. How that does it, I have no idea. Maybe they can’t walk or something. The guys know all that. These are NOT the kind that will take out an entire stand of trees, thankfully.
    Cracker was ‘so excited’ last evening when the girls came over; she ran from room-to-room at the fast pace I have ever seen her do except outside. She was ‘excited’ about ‘new’ faces being around yesterday and she did not calm down until they left.
    My granddaughter came over and she is now selling Arbonne products; if any of you are interested, send me a PM and I will give you her information. She is supposed to get another batch of samples to give to people to try. I tried them and fell in love with how it made my skin feel; some of the products I won’t ever be able to get because I am not supposed to use anything unless it is approved by all my MDs to make sure it won’t interfere with my medications.

I almost backed into one of the 4x4 of my DH shed. Thankfully, he was close enough to see it and yelled at me to stop. I swear if I have another fender bender of the damn thing I will think really hard about letting Louis trade it in for a truck; but, it looks like I am a little ‘upside-down’ on the damn thing. First wreck, both DH and I were surprised they did not ‘total’ it, had more than $16K worth of damage to it. But, I guess that shows that they use a formula of how much they will pay for repairs. At some point, somebody driving it had to have run over a curb; because the doors not having a space at the bottom and rubbing is because the running board is bent upward. I might take the body shop owner’s offer that ‘if’’ the insurance company would not pay for it, he would try to put a block on it and try to knock it out. Right where the two doors meet. I decided to withdraw my claim because my agent said that reporting 3 accidents where I was ‘at fault’ might run into problems with being insured. We’ve been with them for over 45 years, well, Louis has been. I guess it means that I will be getting another check to compensate me for it reducing the value of the car. Oh well. IF I have another accident in it, Louis will just have to get rid of it, because I won’t drive it again if I do. I know when I totally the Honda that I bought from my DBnL (a 2011) and rolled it, they paid me more than he had charged me when I bought it. We got a ‘gently used’ 2013 Honda; and, the day before we were to leave for Louisiana I backed into a fence that was only 2 feet tall (never saw it). I was afraid that ‘if’ we were able to open the truck, we might not have been able to close it or have it lock. Mistake … should have just driven it and gotten it fixed; by now it would have been paid off. That is a case of trading what I wanted more than what I needed. Should have never done it. Funny thing that occurred the time before that, that I took it to the dealership to have it serviced; the service lady looked around and told me it was parked outside the door to the service area. I got in it and drove it all the way back over to the other side of town, filled it up; and, when I came out from paying for the gas; realized it was NOT my car. I ‘freaked’. Called Louis and told him about it and he told me to call them and tell them about it and that they needed to find my car. It was ‘exactly’ like mine, down to the chrome handles and other chrome trim. The salesmen were standing around the service Manager laughing at him. He wanted to give me a ‘free oil change and rotation of tires’ and I told him ‘no, I wanted the car filled up because I had filled up HIS car’. So they took it down to where they normally put a ‘little’ bit of gas for cars they sell.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Afternoon cyber sisters. I miss Re's description of us daily. I never knew who we were until she checked in daily.

Went to Pet Smart today. I had not found a collar I wanted and I found one that has a bow tie on it. Also go a tiny nail clipper for his tiny nails and some clear nail caps. I don't think Charlie would like purple or black or camaflauge. They come in many colors like neon colors. My legs look like they have measles, all the little tiny red marks. I was going to see if Michelle could put them on for me but as an volunteer, even though her foster dog cant be at the adoption events, she does go when needed to walk the dogs. She is a big dog girl and she was walking a little tiny dog. She looked so funny and it had no pull to it.

Joyce, Indiana

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,523 Member
    My run
    m81clq0vom8k.jpg
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Ah...mornings are wonderful, so full of promise for the day! LOL! I got my sandbox in and a little weeding done and that was it. It took me two hours once I got the sand "pit" boxed. Then I had to remove all of the rocks (the little boys move my rock beds all over the place) and the weeds that had sprung up in the pit. Then I added 250 lbs of play sand to the natural sand. Here is a picture of the finished project. I plan to run out tomorrow and get some new trucks and sand toys for the kids.dh9zspz3w57r.jpg
    No great shakes, but it is something I have wanted to do since the kids began digging in that spot many, many years ago. spent an hour weeding the roses. So...that is three hours and I told myself only 3-4 hours (so as not to overdo it). Not hard to quit. My buns are killing me. Lots of squatting and kneeling and bending. I have dinner prepped and ready to go on the grill. I had to clean the grill, but that's okay, because it was on my to-do list, so I got to cross off another thing! Yea!

Pip- Your mom looks like she is in heaven in that bath! I hope it was a good day for the both of you!
    Dana- Someday, I would love to have a sand garden/zen garden. Right now, with daycare kids everywhere in my yard, there would be no place to put it and get peace.
    Margaret- Holy Cats! What a day of close calls! If I lived closer, I would tell you to come over and sit by the fire and have a drink with me!
    Heather- Ooooooh! Pretty car! And shiny toenails too?!
    Janet- Greece has always been one of my destination places! Haven't been there, yet! The pictures that I have seen from people who have traveled there are always so stunning! Ireland and France are going to be my first two European stops, however. I have started a savings acct for a trip for DH and my 30th anniversary. That is in, just a little over two years. His family on his father's side is from southern France (near Andorra and Spain) and his mother's family is from Ireland (Wicklow area). He is not a traveler, but he has said he would love to visit Ireland and I am sure I could talk him into a jaunt over to France. I would be lying if I said I am planning this trip for him. I am the traveler at heart. France has been my long, lost love since I was 12 and began my first french lesson. My DD has been there four times (although the last time was for research). She went up the Eiffel tower on her first visit and when she called and told me about it, I cried (I was happy for her); and she swore that she would never go up again until I do (and if possible she would be with me). She never went up again on any of her visits.
    Heather and Lisa- As the writers of the group, I have a question. I have had many people ask me to start a blog. My question is this; once you post something on a blog are you in danger of having some one take your material and use it in their own publication? I am not even sure I want to have a blog. My stories have been intended (in my mind) to be published in book format. Are there advantages or disadvantages to having a blog? It seems that many writers, nowadays, turn their blogs into books.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Pip- Okay...which one are you? Are you the girl in blue in the center on the flute? Or are you playing a clarinet? My first guess was the girl in white on the far left playing the flute.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,523 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Pip- Okay...which one are you? Are you the girl in blue in the center on the flute? Or are you playing a clarinet? My first guess was the girl in white on the far left playing the flute.

I'm the dork with glasses in the back. I played the trumpet
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    beth all fingers crossed for the summer job!!! I have been gluten free and mostly sugar reduced for 2 weeks and my wrists are hurting so much less-the inflammation has seriously improved with clean eating. I hope it helps you as well. NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,685 Member
    Just a quick hello.no WiFi at the beach house and happy as a clam
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    KJ - there is actually a way to code a blog page in the back end so that it is uncopyable. Just like a book, though, you'll never be able to stop someone who's determined to do it from typing out what you have done and publishing it as their own. You simply slap your copyright on it and be prepared to defend it if necessary. A harsh letter with the threat to take them to court will usually deter someone who has attempted to plagiarize your work online or off.

Oh, and for the uninitiated, you do not have to file for copyright on written works. Simply by having written it, you own the copyright. If you e-mail your work to yourself and simply store the e-mails, you have a dated copyright in the U.S.

Note: Blogs are a chore - to actually monetize one, you have to develop a following, post regularly (as in daily, twice weekly, weekly), for a year at a minimum, and then solicit advertisers. If you decide to go that way, look into Wordpress. It's free to start a blog, you don't even have to buy a domain name (so for example, it would be kjlamore.wordpress.com), and if you want to later, it would transfer anywhere. It's a good way to try out blogging without monetary commitment. My old blog, http://ttaadd.wordpress.com is still up, but I haven't touched it in more than a year. I can pick it back up tomorrow if I choose. No cost.

If you simply want to share your stories with family and friends, I'd just look into CreateSpace - you can literally take a Word document and make it into a printed book, and it won't cost a dime until you're ready to get a book printed. It will automatically go up for sale on Amazon in both print and Kindle versions, but only if you give permission. I've used it for a number of things--we use it every year for my writers' group's chapter book.

There - more than you ever wanted to know.

Regards,
    Lisa
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Good evening.
    I am very ready to curl up with a good book. I spent 2 hours out in our old garden area pulling weeds and working with the hoe, I let it go to long. We are going to put our firepit out there once I get the area prepped for the bricks and lawn. My husband grilled some steaks, and we had a wonderful dinner. Now time for my book. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.
    Marti from Ontario, Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Thanks Kelly. I spent the day gardening as a stress relief.

:heart: Margaret