Slow cooker recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you see a recipe you like that has too much fat, you can reduce it a lot. You can use a quarter of the butter. Cheese toppings can be a quarter the amount of cheese. Use old sharp cheese and shred finely.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you need a spaghetti sauce, a chilli, and a sloppy Joes from your slow cooker. You may scramble fry your hamburger the night before.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I made a Chinese style orange beef in mine last week. No recipe but it was basically 2 lbs boneless English Roast, chunked and browned, a couple of sliced onions, green bell pepper, garlic, ginger, a can of v8, soy sauce, and a whole navel orange, unpeeled, sliced into rings. A little bit of spices such as cinnamon, fennel seeds, mace, and coriander. Red pepper flakes and a diced jalapeño. Add water to cover. When it's done thicken the sauce with a paste of flour mixed with hot water. Serve with rice.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love the slow cooker recipes over at budgetbytes.com. They are all pretty reasonable calorie-wise, and easy.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    One of my family favorites that I just made last night is French Dip Sandwiches.

I bought a smaller boneless chuck roast (which I buy when they are on sale and freeze for later.)
    Season with salt and pepper and brown it in a hot pan with olive oil. After moving the browned roast to the Crockpot, deglaze the pan with a bit of red wine or beef broth. Add all of that goodness to the Crockpot.
    Then I add a can of French Onion soup, a packet of Liptons onion mix, a can of low-sodium beef broth and maybe some water to over the rest of the roast. I also throw in some garlic powder, a bay leave, and whatever else I want to throw in. (You really can' t go wrong.)
    Turn that baby on for 8-10 hours on low.

When I come home I take out the roast and shred it and put the meat in a smaller serving dish with some of the juices. (There is a lot of juice!) I toast some sub rolls with swiss cheese or provolone until the roll is nice and toasty (important!) and the cheese is melted. Don't forget to serve some reserved au jus on the side. Whatever I have left over, I freeze. It freezes beautifully!

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Crock pot fajitas!!!!
    2-3 lbs beef or chicken, 1 jar salsa (16 oz). Cook on medium until meat is tender and fully cooked.
    Add: (all sliced or chopped to preference) 1 medium onion, 2-3 large bell peppers, 3 large tomatoes.
    Cook until veggies are desired doneness.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whole Crock Pot Chicken:
    Chicken Rub: 4 tsp salt
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Crock Pot: 1 onion, chopped
    4 carrots, chopped (or use baby carrots)
    3 celery stalks, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    1 lemon, quartered
    4lb roasting chicken

Directions: Cut veggies into 2 inch sticks and throw in the bottom of the crock pot. Rinse the chicken, towel dry a bit. Put the garlic and lemon inside of the chicken. Rub the outside with the chicken rub. Place the chicken on top of the bed of veggies and cook on low for 8 hours.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Right now this second I have in my crock pot three large bone-in chicken breasts with organic chicken broth, minced garlic, and brown sugar. Smells amazing! Makes juicy and tasty chicken.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Salpicon!!!

It's served cold and normally on a bed of leafy greens so it's also perfect for hot days.

3-4lbs brisket, 1 finely chopped onion, 2-4 finely chopped cloves of garlic, hot peppers (how many & type based on your preference, I find that 2 medium jalepenos add a little spice, but not too much), 1/4 cup lime juice, 1cup water.

Cook until the brisket is tender, then shres it. Refrigerate it overnight and remove the grease the next day (it'll float to the top and solidify so it's easy to remove). Add about 1 cup chopped cilantro (fresh!) And lime juice - I usually add about 3/4 of a cup. Start with 1/4 cup and increase to your liking.

Traditionally it is served cold on leafy greens with a small bit of crumbled cojita cheese, slivered onions and sliced cucumbers.