How do I run?

2»

Replies

• mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    When running, only go as fast as you can while still maintaining breath control. That was the trick for me when I learned how to run 7 years ago, overweight and over 30, doing C25K. If you feel yourself starting to lose control of your breathing- Slow Down. Just shuffle along to maintain a "run." You can learn how to catch your breath by going slower, or going downhill.
    Once you get the hang of breath control, adding miles is easy, just take it slow.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Jbod1966 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could run for a whole minute, though perhaps I can. As long as I can continue to walk on the days C25K says to rest, I wouldn't mind trying it

I started out walking 3 miles and it took me 56 minutes. That was 3 months ago and I now do 3 miles in 40 minutes. I gradually increased the pace and now I do intervals. I walk at 4 mph for 2 minutes and then jog at 5.8 for 1 minute or so. This is after warming up of course. You can do it, it just takes time. If you can only jog for 30 seconds then jog for 30 seconds. Eventually it gets easier and you can do more. If following a program helps then by all means do so. I found that just setting small goals for myself and then achieving them really helped. I don't use a program just set small attainable goals.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Couldn't you walk for three minutes and then jog for one? Do this for 30 minutes. Or walk between power poles and then run between them? Or try the Zombie Run app?

Haha my coach told us to do that, i liked it.

Yea OP like most have said walk some, jog some. Its a great way to introduce your bones and joints and heart to the impact of running.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    I just did my first run/walk. Total distance was 4.2 miles. For the first 2 miles I alternated between walking and jogging, very short distances. I learned two things. 1) I can run more than I thought without dying 2) When I run, my shorts fall down

Getting your kit right can be the hardest part!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Misssynth wrote: »
    I just did my first run/walk. Total distance was 4.2 miles. For the first 2 miles I alternated between walking and jogging, very short distances. I learned two things. 1) I can run more than I thought without dying 2) When I run, my shorts fall down

Getting your kit right can be the hardest part!!

Ain't it the truth. Good shorts, good non-chafing undergear.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I'm not sure I could run for a whole minute, though perhaps I can. As long as I can continue to walk on the days C25K says to rest, I wouldn't mind trying it

If you can't run for a minute, you are running too fast. You running pace should allow you to sing "Happy Birthday". If you can't, slow down. I don't see any difficulty in continuing to walk at your 18 minute mile pace on C25K off days. you may want to check out a body weight, or a lifting program, for your running off days. A little cross training is often a good thing.