New to Biking - Have Questions

2»

Replies

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    1. What muscles does biking work compared to running?
    See http://www.livestrong.com/article/374003-muscles-used-in-running-vs-cycling/
    2. I currently run 3-5 miles, 5-6 days/week, at a 9 minute pace. What would be a comparable biking workout (distance or time)?
    Not really comparable, one is supported (weight bearing) while other is not. In general, cycling is "easier" than running. You should have not problems doing 20-30 miles a day once your back side is conditioned (2-3 weeks, but YMMV).
    3. My bike has many gears. How do I determine what gear(s) to use for a good workout?
    Already addressed above but keep in mind 80-100 rpm is a general recommendation. Work towards that range but keep in mind most beginners cannot sustain that. 60-70 rpm is more typical. There is no optimal range and it depends on the terrain and you. In general higher cadences puts more stress on the cardiovascular system as opposed to the muscular. E.g. you can go longer and further without tiring as each pedal stroke requires less power but you are apply more rotations per minute to offset that power reduction. Also you are using less of your Type II muscles (fast twitch) in favorite of Type I (slow twitch). Include cadence interval training once you are comfortable on the bike (e.g. spin at 5-10 rpm higher than your normal cadence for 10-20 minutes, once or twice a week). Pedal in "circles". Contrary to popular belief that does not mean pulling up on the rest portion of the stroke but applying a limited negative force (still pushing down but much reduced power in a decreasing force application as the arm rotate from 6ish to 12ish o'clock) in a controlled fashion to minimize disruption (jerkiness). Pulling up only fatigues you and is only applicable in limited circumstances (e.g. sprinting and mesh up a steep hill). It's a simplified but incorrect interpretation/observation.
    Any other advice/recommendations are certainly welcome!
    1. Don't cheat out on the shorts (tighter, form fitting, is better) and If you do, go commando. (Your welcome; the boys and back end will greatly appreciate it.)
    2. Get a jersey (top, extra storage), wear socks (see the Rules but ignore the Goldilocks), saddle bag (ignore the Rules), and gloves (optional but good for falling and a must if you are doing mass start racing initially).
    3. Learn how to fall (think Judo), it happens.
    4. If you do get clip-less pedals, see https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/ on positioning. It's a good site for general bike fitting information.
    5. Learn the rules, see http://cyclefolsom.com/safety-guidelines.html and http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ (most of it are in jest but there are some good tidbits.)
    6. Get bottles and cages beside tools. You'll need you hands on the bar and carrying a pack on the back is too hot (and bad for balancing unless mountain biking where water is hard to find and frame limits supply options).
    7. Join your local bike club. They will know the routes and most will help out (fit, skills, tips, etc). Group rides are fun. Everyone get dropped, just keep hanging on until you can do the dropping (then jump on the next fast group and rinse and repeat).
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    Wow! So much great info! Thanks, everyone!

Tweaking_Time - You ain't kidding about switching exercises! Back when I was running 5-7 miles everyday, I decided to go swimming thinking it would be easy. After a few laps, I was SO winded and exhausted! Switching exercises is very humbling.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I should point out that the Velominati Rules are satire poking fun at roadie culture, so don't take them too seriously. That said, I do like to quote rules #5, #9, and #10, and my bike has decals on the chainstays that say "HTFU Technology". :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    In my experience, biking works the thighs, running calves. I always run my bike in the highest (most difficult) gear unless I'm tackling a really hard hill. I like to go fast, and I can go faster that way without tiring.

That's not really good advice. Different bikes are set up with different gears. Trying to push the hardest gear can be hard on the knees on some bikes because they are set up to allow the cyclist to gain speed while descending.