Yael452's Accountability Journal

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Yael452 wrote: »
    I am one of those for whom large quantities of greens and vegetables creates a ****storm of bloating and gas. For example, I really enjoy caulirice, and used to eat it regularly, but it always came with a price.
    As a child I detested vegetables, and there are still traces of that. I usually stick to carrots, broccoli, and green beans for cooked vegetables. I'm well aware peas and corn are essentially a legume and a grain - not exactly vegetables, but they were the only "veg" in the house, and I cooked them to fill me up more than anything.
    Unfortunately, I do not like salads. I can enjoy a salad like, say, a cobb salad - with egg, chicken, avo, nuts etc. to make it palatable, but leaves, raw tomato, cucumber... do not do it for me. In the past I have tried following the "big salad for lunch" routine, which was ridiculous considering I knew deep down inside that I wouldn't be able to sustain it given that I generally do not like salad.
    Baby spinach is probably my favourite green leafy vegetable; but I feel like (if you are a picky salad-eater like me) you have to use a lot of food items in a salad to make it tempting to me, at which point I'd rather cook up some frozen vegetables seasoned with a little salt.
    I find soup a good option if I'm still hungry, to eat before the main plate or after if I'm not satisfied. But I haven't had the time this week to make a batch of home-made soup, and it's been another English heat-wave so not entirely soup weather!

I know I could definitely go for lower-density vegetables; and the sweet potato chips are pretty calorie dense, but then again I'd rather eat what I want and completely enjoy it than opt for a lower calorie alternative that isn't actually something I'll really enjoy.

That makes total sense! There is absolutely NO POINT in eating anything you don't enjoy... I think I'm probably unusual in the amount of veggies I can eat - my partner would most likely die if he ingested the amount of fibre that I do! HA!

• Yael452
    Yael452 Posts: 82 Member
    edited July 2017
    So here's a question: Is it bad that I think pizza makes the perfect OMAD? Because I'm beginning to believe so!

Now I'm not talking about greasy, over-topped pizzas with every side-sauce imaginable. I'm talking about a traditional neapolitan-style pizza around 8-inches.
    For example, my Dominos order on Friday was a small size (7-inches/ four big, or eight smaller sized slices) made with gluten-free dough, with mozzarella, ham and mushrooms, and a traditional tomato base. The whole thing (which was very filling, but not too much) was only around 630-660 calories, and was probably the most satisfying OMAD I've had in a while. It fits exactly on a dinner plate (the small size, not the mahoosive pizzas!) and depending on what topping you get can actually be pretty balanced in terms of macros. Couple that with a salad or bowl of steamed veggies and you've got yourself a pretty sweet OMAD, right?

My local store sells 8-inch Neapolitan pizzas (gluten free) with various toppings available, and the most calorific version is just over 700 calories. I've actually considered buying a few to have in-stock at home for the days I don't feel like cooking anything fancy, or I'm unable to work out the calories in something a family member has made (this happens fairly often).
    It's just been something I've been thinking about recently because I don't know anyone that hates pizza!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    I think that a pizza like you described is a good OMAD meal.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Ham and Mushroom is my favorite pizza!! I don't see anything wrong with your pizza plan.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I did something I've *never* done before.
    Tonight was my last night with the house to myself, so I ordered a pizza! A gluten-free ham and mushroom pizza from Dominos.
    I researched the calories beforehand, 660 for the whole small pizza - and it was totally worth it! Once my pizza arrived I opened the ice cold Coke Zero that came with my order, and put on one of my favourite tv shows, "The Goldbergs".
    This turned out to be an immensely satisfying decision - no regrets!! Tomorrow is my birthday, so you could call this my incredibly introverted birthday celebration! :wink:

8kw36y29vj96.jpg

I lost weight eating just what you have here. Good call. Your mind - and therefore, your body - was satisfied!
  • Yael452
    I did something I've *never* done before.
    Tonight was my last night with the house to myself, so I ordered a pizza! A gluten-free ham and mushroom pizza from Dominos.
    I researched the calories beforehand, 660 for the whole small pizza - and it was totally worth it! Once my pizza arrived I opened the ice cold Coke Zero that came with my order, and put on one of my favourite tv shows, "The Goldbergs".
    This turned out to be an immensely satisfying decision - no regrets!! Tomorrow is my birthday, so you could call this my incredibly introverted birthday celebration! :wink:

8kw36y29vj96.jpg

I lost weight eating just what you have here. Good call. Your mind - and therefore, your body - was satisfied!

I'm definitely realising that being successful with OMAD and sticking to my calorie goals has *everything* to do with being mentally satisfied. It's so much easier to stick to OMAD guidelines when I eat in a way that wholly satisfies me.
  • minigrrll
    I'm definitely realising that being successful with OMAD and sticking to my calorie goals has *everything* to do with being mentally satisfied. It's so much easier to stick to OMAD guidelines when I eat in a way that wholly satisfies me.

Spot on!

And I think the pizza is perfect... :)

• Yael452
    edited July 2017
    I weighed on Sunday after my run and I was under 160lbs again, 159.3lb, but I'm not getting excited yet because I'm about to enter the deadly week of T.O.M. haha, and goodness knows it screws me over every single month.

This is not OMAD-related, but on Saturday I got a call about the job I interviewed for. The job was an office admin job for my church, with a very large range of responsibilities. WELL, I did not get that job, buuuuttt, I got offered a brand new role that they created for me because they wanted to make use of my skill-set (social media marketing, media promotion and graphic design). They've offered me a year's contract, and an initial start at 20hrs a week - which is *perfect* for me. I'll be working 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Mondays, and 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Tuesday-Friday. This structure works really well for me because I am someone who tends to be a bit of a workaholic (so I end up working more hours anyway) so 20 hours really helps me to maintain a bit of a private life.
    Anyway, I just thought I'd write that up here because this is the first time I've been offered a job that I want that I am also being paid for. I've done a lot of unpaid work in the past trying to build up my resume, and it's been extremely difficult to find an employer that doesn't end up taking advantage in some way.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Congratulations on the loss and the new job.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Congrats on the job!!
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Congratulations on the loss and your new job :)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Woot, well done on nabbing a job that makes you happy and for shedding pounds!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Reading this thread has been very helpful for me as I try and figure OMAD out. I am doing a modification, I think, because I am allowing a 4 hour eating window from 11-4. I was thinking of sticking to the 1200 calorie thing that I started with as part of a weight loss plan. I was not seeing results and was always hungry eating all day. I've done this for two days and averaging about 800 calories. The scale has moved two pounds, which is something I've been trying to do for eight weeks without success. I find the hunger is so much easier to manage. It just goes away after a while. I've decided to just eat healthy food and not worry too much about macro ratios. There is so much evidence for all different proportions, it's just confusing. I can see that other people are getting their own level of calories (based on a deficit)? Is this a daily practice for people? I am wondering how much I should be eating and if I'm right or am I undermining myself by eating 1200??? I appreciate any discourse on this seemingly forever fascinating topic. I might be too worried about it.
  • minigrrll
    So cool about the new job!!
  • Yael452
    edited July 2017
    Man, today I really couldn't stop eating!
    Don't know what was up with me (that's a lie, it's hormones). I was like a bottomless pit! Calories were 2000 or just over. I may delay my weigh-in until the dust has settled...but we'll see.
    Other than that, not much to report. I'm still mulling over changing my eating window to between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., but that would make my eating a lot more anti-social and OMAD more obvious because I wouldn't be eating at night around my family anymore. But on the other hand, I feel like it would make it easier to plan my own meals and have greater control, but until I start my new job, I don't really know what would be ideal. I don't want to spend my whole morning at work thinking about when I get home and what I'm going to eat, but I also think eating at night is affecting my sleep and digestion.
  • Yael452
    Good today overall. An almost 8-mile run with my running club. It would have been the full 8 miles had my GPS watch not decided to go completely blank toward the end of my run. Oh well.

Despite yesterday's high calorie day, I decided to weigh in.
    Start weight:162.9
    Sunday 28/05/17: 161.3 (-1.6)
    Sunday 4/06/17: 160.7 (-0.6)
    Changed weigh-in day to Thursday
    Thursday 8/06/17: 158.9 (-1.8)
    Thursday 15/06/17: 162.2 (+3.3)
    Thursday 22/06/17: 157.6 (-4.6)
    Thursday 29/06/27: 160.9 (+3.3)
    Friday 7/7/2017: 160.2 (-0.7)
    Thursday 13/07/17: 159.6 (- 0.6)

It's not as much as I would've liked, but it's a loss and I'll take it! I may just have to make peace with the fact that I'm a slow loser. I also know that I'm on the brink of T.O.M, so I'm hoping that next week will be a much better loss.

Got to go now, I've got a pizza in the oven! (630 calories for the whole thing!)
  • minigrrll
    Well, technically you still ran 8 miles though! You're like me - if my watch runs out of battery before the end of a workout, it's almost like the part that didn't get recorded, doesn't count!
  • minigrrll
    Well done on the loss!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    8 miles, You Rock!!! Mmm Pizza :p
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Woohoo on the loss especially after a bottomless pit day!

lol on your device petering out. I hate when that happens.