Cheeseaholics (not-so) Anonymous

Replies

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    DKG28 wrote: »
    anything dry, aged, and imported. the stinkier, the better!

Amen!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Hello everyone, my name is Sarah and I am a cheesaholic... I love lots of varieties of cheese. I make my lasagna with ricotta salata (so much better than the stuff in the tubs) but mix it with cream cheese so it still has a soft creaming texture. My favorite grocery store recently carrying ricotta salata. I was so sad... so now I am faced with the decision of driving much farther to find the ricotta salata or rethink my recipe. I feel like using the tubs of ricotta will make my lasagna not worth the effort (having had the good stuff). However, I am excited about the possibility of subbing fresh grated asiago for the ricotta salata.
    Ok so long post, but let the cheese fantasies begin...
  • leanitup123
    31shines wrote: »
    I'm definitely a cheese addict. I love it. I have cut down a bit I could eat a pound a day. I try to limit it a bit more now. I used to buy it and eat it all in one or two days. Now I walk away and leave some for another day. But it's my favorite thing :)

A pound a day = 16 oz = 16 servings = approx 1,900-2,000 calories. SO basically you could eat a pound of cheese a day and still lose weight. Nice.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,828 Member
    I am eating raw aged Maasdammer cheese as I type this. Amaaaaazing :)
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    The most evil and amazing tasting thing: manicotti with alfredo sauce instead if marinara. So much cheese. So many calories. My mom used to order it at Italian restaurants. She is better at not indulging these days. But, man, a bite of that was so, so glorious.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Picoides wrote: »
    I love any and all cheese, except cottage cheese (which I refuse to accept is cheese) and mild cheddar (I don't understand the point of it).

For my birthday, we go to a local restaurant and I have an entire order of saganaki to myself.

My favourite cheese is Black Bomber extra-aged cheddar from Snowdonia. It's in black wax and looks like a hockey puck. I would eat the entire thing in one sitting if I let myself. I actually moan when I eat it - it's embarrassing.

So, I had to Google that and now I must have it immediately.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Ima cheese a holic. But I've been following the keto diet for quite a few weeks, and I douse my food in it, it keeps me full!

Feta, provolone havarti..
  • leanitup123
    edited June 2017
    Cypress Grove "Truffle Tremor." So good.
  • leanitup123
    mild cheddar: why?
  • Ayse818181
    Ayse818181 Posts: 11 Member
    Yes! I love cheese and crackers. It is one of my top three food combination favorites.
    I am like a little girl because I do not prefer the more gourmet or sophisticated options.
    I love original wheat thins with original Kraft American cheese slices.
    The combination is high is protein, calcium, and fiber.
    It is very filling.
    I always have alot of bottled water but sometimes wash it all down with an ice cold diet 7 up. It is what I will be having later on today actually!
    I used to buy the blocks of cheese because they are much less processed but I ended up switching to the easier way. They way we Americans love! Hehehe.
  • Ayse818181
    Ayse818181 Posts: 11 Member
    If you are open to something atypical Smoked Gouda by boar's Head melted on mission tortilla chips was excellent. Even cold is an option.
  • leanitup123
    Ayse818181 wrote: »
    If you are open to something atypical Smoked Gouda by boar's Head melted on mission tortilla chips was excellent. Even cold is an option.

Not a fan of gouda, but SMOKED gouda is pretty dang good. Prefer smoked cheddar or mozzarella
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Ayse818181 wrote: »

Not a fan of gouda, but SMOKED gouda is pretty dang good. Prefer smoked cheddar or mozzarella

My absolute favourite grilled cheese sandwiches: good quality smoked gouda on light rye bread from the bakery.
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    we had a savory gorgonzola cheesecake with nuts and apple slices in new orleans last week, holy damn.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Are there any types of cheese for those that can't give up cheese and still lose weight? My favorite is feta cheese

Trader Joe's has a light feta which tastes like the real deal. It's only 40 cal/ounce compared to 110 an ounce for most cheeses.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    You can grate a lot of hard cheese to come up to an ounce, especially if you use something like a microplane to get fluffy ground cheese. An ounce of grated parmigiano reggiano has a lot more cheesy flavor than an ounce of supermarket cheddar for the same calories.

I keep two or three hard cheeses on hand like parmesan, romano, aged gouda, a hard asiago, manchego, iberico, etc. They are more expensive per pound than some other cheeses but go a long way.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I like cheese - in the single serve packages like this:
    y9af4k9nzc36.jpg
  • Picoides
    Picoides Posts: 16 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I like cheese - in the single serve packages like this:
    y9af4k9nzc36.jpg

Tillamook cheese! We don't get that where I live in Canada so whenever we go into the States (Alaska) I bring back a block of their extra-aged cheddar. And on a trip down the Oregon coast, we visited the Tillamook cheese factory. It was HEAVEN.
  • leanitup123
    zcu42yywclcv.jpg

Part of lunch today...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    You can grate a lot of hard cheese to come up to an ounce, especially if you use something like a microplane to get fluffy ground cheese. An ounce of grated parmigiano reggiano has a lot more cheesy flavor than an ounce of supermarket cheddar for the same calories.

I keep two or three hard cheeses on hand like parmesan, romano, aged gouda, a hard asiago, manchego, iberico, etc. They are more expensive per pound than some other cheeses but go a long way.

It's kinda tacky of me, but I like to grate a big walloping block of parmesan with the rotary grater attachment on my stand mixer, then put the tightly-covered container of it in the freezer for easy use in cooking later.

At cooking time, put container on scale, zero, scoop out desired amount, read negative grams, log it.