June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    My check engine light is on, what do I do? lol! No really it is on. But it's probably just the gas cap.

I keep missing turns staring at it while I'm out at lunch time. Anybody have any black tape?
    Don't worry about it...when it comes on, it's just letting you know that the bulb still works.

*Whew*

It does have that engine switch, if something critical the engine will turn off. Haha! I'll give it til Monday to reset. Of course, I have to take it to Dallas to dealership to find out if it is something.

Autozone will read the check engine code for free. It's never something I'm competent to fix on my own, but at least I get an idea of how serious the issue is.

Ya. I usually do that. But it's always the gas cap. So I'm gonna give it a few days.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Goals for June:
    1. To add 4th day to the running week - Going well so far with the only sticky spot being on Thursdays when I have to run before work at 4am.
    2. To not puke, pass out or die while adjusting to the heat - Also going well but the month is young and it has not been that hot yet.
    3. To stay healthy - So far so good but trying not to jinx it.
    4. Make my running a priority, not the first thing that gets forgotten when work and family schedules get crazy - Also going well with a few adjustments to run times
    5. To do a better job tracking miles and holding myself accountable - Better.

Running mileage goal :
    I am planning on 4 runs a week of an average of 2 miles each as a conservative goal so 40 miles.

Date Day Run Monthly total Needed
    6/3 Sat 2.3 Mi 2.3 Mi 37.7Mi
    6/3 Sun 2.0 Mi 4.3 Mi 35.7Mi
    6/6 Tues 2.5 Mi 6.8 Mi 33.2Mi
    6/8 Thurs 1.5 Mi 8.3 Mi 31.7Mi
    6/10 Sat 3.1 Mi 11.4 Mi 28.6Mi
    6/11 Sun 1.1 Mi 12.5 Mi 27.5Mi
    6/13 Tues 1.7 Mi 14.2 Mi 25.8Mi
    6/15 Thurs 3.0 Mi 17.2 Mi 22.8Mi
    6/17 Sat 1.6 Mi 18.8 Mi 21.2Mi
    6/19 Mon 3.1 MI 21.9 MI 18.1MI
    6/20 Tues 2.8 MI 24.7 MI 15.3MI
    6/23 Thurs 3.1 Mi 27.8 MI 12.2Mi

Thursday called for a hill run. Did it after work at my local park on the .7mi loop of hills. I was slower then last time and struggled going up the last hill but overall it felt OK. I did walk in between loops instead of jog so I need to work on that. I am starting to feel a little better about my next 5k and the hills there since I am actively training for that particular race not just running and adding miles.
    I think I am on track to make target for June for the first time in a while. I need 12.2 miles and I have 4 runs left so an average of 3 miles each time. Barring accident, injury or life I should be good.

2017 Races :
    4/29/2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame 5k
    6/10/17 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5K (maybe) - Done
    9/9/17 Kick off 5k (race 2 of series)
    11/19/17 Halftime 10K (race 3 of series)
    2/4/18 Championship 5 miler (race 4 of series)
    4/29/18 Akron Half Marathon (Can sign up for $26.50 by 8/1 without getting a shirt for full or half)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    My check engine light is on, what do I do? lol! No really it is on. But it's probably just the gas cap.

I keep missing turns staring at it while I'm out at lunch time. Anybody have any black tape?
    Don't worry about it...when it comes on, it's just letting you know that the bulb still works.

*Whew*

It does have that engine switch, if something critical the engine will turn off. Haha! I'll give it til Monday to reset. Of course, I have to take it to Dallas to dealership to find out if it is something.

Autozone will read the check engine code for free. It's never something I'm competent to fix on my own, but at least I get an idea of how serious the issue is.

Ya. I usually do that. But it's always the gas cap. So I'm gonna give it a few days.

I've never driven with a warning light on (not sure any of my cars have had them) but then I'm of the school that if they hear loud noises from the engine they turn the radio up.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Random question for all, just because I'm curious. On Garmins, do ya'all use smart data recording, or the 1 sec data recording? I've always had it on smart, but got to thinking about it after I was running trail with my friend and his watch showed a 0.1 mile difference in distance over the course of about 5 miles, and we were literally running the exact same path, I was right behind him on the single track the whole time.....I know GPS error could/does account for it, but it got me thinking about data recording because it "could" be related
  • Elise4270
    Random question for all, just because I'm curious. On Garmins, do ya'all use smart data recording, or the 1 sec data recording? I've always had it on smart, but got to thinking about it after I was running trail with my friend and his watch showed a 0.1 mile difference in distance over the course of about 5 miles, and we were literally running the exact same path, I was right behind him on the single track the whole time.....I know GPS error could/does account for it, but it got me thinking about data recording because it "could" be related

DH and I run the same the trails and often have different distances. I chalked it up to GPS readings.
  • Elise4270
    girlinahat wrote: »

*Whew*

I've never driven with a warning light on (not sure any of my cars have had them) but then I'm of the school that if they hear loud noises from the engine they turn the radio up.....

Haha! There's this EPA mandated sensor in the gas tank neck that frequently trips. Last time it was hot and I left the car on (a/c for DD) and it did it. Last time I filled up the nozzle was crazy super powered and kept shutting off. So I'm sure it's that sensor. Engine is running fine, still boogies like no other car I've had.

I bet it resets after I run a little :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Haha! There's this EPA mandated sensor in the gas tank neck that frequently trips. Last time it was hot and I left the car on (a/c for DD) and it did it. Last time I filled up the nozzle was crazy super powered and kept shutting off. So I'm sure it's that sensor. Engine is running fine, still boogies like no other car I've had.

Turn off the car, pull the cables off your battery, then climb in the car and depress the break all the way a few times until you feel the power brakes fail. Then reconnect the battery and start the car. That should reset all warnings (and radio stations!).
  • Elise4270

Turn off the car, pull the cables off your battery, then climb in the car and depress the break all the way a few times until you feel the power brakes fail. Then reconnect the battery and start the car. That should reset all warnings (and radio stations!).

Hmm. Is this one of those " blow on a chickens b-hole kinda things"? Cuz i tried unhooking the battery once before. It didn't reset even the clock. BMW.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2017
    @RespectTheKitty

I haven't watched all of it yet- just saw
    the shirt I and though "we need that shirt"!

http://www.runnersworld.com/super-secret-mystery-meeting/heres-your-summer-running-horoscope

Hahaha! Oh I'm so glad I'm not a Capricorn!!
  • PastorVincent

Hmm. Is this one of those " blow on a chickens b-hole kinda things"? Cuz i tried unhooking the battery once before. It didn't reset even the clock. BMW.

Not sure what the chicken reference is, but it should work. Most cars retain some power when you disconnect the battery, and that is why you pump the breaks to drain the power from the system. Never owned a BMW, but I assume it should work for them as well. *shrugs* worked for ever car I ever owned at least.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

I use 1 second, because it's supposed to be more accurate and I'm not worried about the additional drain on the battery. For road running, I doubt that it makes much difference. For trail running, the 1 second might make more of a difference because of frequent turns and ubiquitous curves. But then, ultras on trails are where battery life becomes a serious issue . . .
  • Elise4270

Not sure what the chicken reference is, but it should work. Most cars retain some power when you disconnect the battery, and that is why you pump the breaks to drain the power from the system. Never owned a BMW, but I assume it should work for them as well. *shrugs* worked for ever car I ever owned at least.

Really? No chicken butts? Lol! I may try it, er unhooking the battery again. Not the chicken butt blowing. Which is how to sex a chicken after someone takes you snipe hunting. :wink: get it? It ain't a thing. But someone will try to tell you to do it when selecting chicks. My youngest son loved pet chickens.

I live in redneck-ville. Guess that's obvious now. :blush:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks @MobyCarp I was thinking specifically of trail because of all the switchback and curved where I am. Just another reason I'm looking at higher battery life watches. The 935 has 24 hours supposedly, in GPS mode, so i figure that "should" get me the 14+ hours I'd need if I ever do a 50 mile or 100k, with some to spare.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    6/1 5miles 46:33min
    6/2 3miles 27:09min
    6/3 7miles 65:53min
    6/4 rest
    6/5 3miles 27:52min
    6/6 4miles 36:43min
    6/7 3miles 27:55min
    6/8 13.1miles!!! 2:06:49min
    6/9 rest
    6/10 3.55miles 35:30min
    6/11 rest
    6/12 4mi intervals 38:32min
    6/13 5miles 50:34min
    6/14 rest
    6/15 5miles 48:52min
    6/16 4miles 37:39min
    6/17 8miles 1:21:57min
    6/18 rest
    6/19 6miles 58:35min
    6/20 3miles 28:48min
    6/21 2miles 18:40min
    6/22 4miles 38:16min
    6/23 9miles 1:29:14min

9 miles! It was overcast and muggy, but at least there was a breeze depending on which direction I was facing. I'm happy I didn't take any walking breaks - I had the motivation of having to get my kids within the 2 hour time limit at the YMCA.

I got a new pair of sneakers and they felt good though my right knee felt weird towards the end. That's never happened before and as soon as I finished and walked back to the gym it felt fine.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

Exactly what I was going to say. Keep them off for 5 minutes. You can also google how to shut if off, you'll get answers on how to do it. That's how we reset ours when Skip doesn't put the cap on tight. My new car, which is a 2014 Ford Escape, so new to me car, doesn't have a cap it has some suction thing nice.
  • Elise4270

Exactly what I was going to say. Keep them off for 5 minutes. You can also google how to shut if off, you'll get answers on how to do it. That's how we reset ours when Skip doesn't put the cap on tight. My new car, which is a 2014 Ford Escape, so new to me car, doesn't have a cap it has some suction thing nice.

I had it unhooked for over an hour. I may have to Google it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    @Elise4270 IIRC having Autozone pull the codes will not only tell you what's wrong with the vehicle, it'll also reset the CE light.
  • PastorVincent
    I had it unhooked for over an hour. I may have to Google it.

If you did not pump the breaks, it could still have power. It takes very little power for the onboard computer, but a lot of power for the breaks. You can often get two or three good pumps out of the breaks (push all the way down, hold a bit, then repeat) before you use up the power in the system.

• PastorVincent
    @Elise4270 IIRC having Autozone pull the codes will not only tell you what's wrong with the vehicle, it'll also reset the CE light.

This is also true, they can reset the light for you - depending on the error.