Lifting on slope in garage bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I've got a slight slope in my garage (back to front) - - almost all do for drainage. My gym is set up in my garage. Rack in back and DL mat in front. The slope is not a problem & in no way interferes w/my lifting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    my strength and conditioning gym floor is totally uneven and we all lift heavy and work hard, and we're fine. If its super uneven , i'd be careful of balancing heavy loads on a really uneven floor, But if its just slightly not level i personally don't think its a big deal. We are rarely on totally level and even surfaces in the real world for our day to day activities.

i have also heard horror stories of people lifting on perfectly level surfaces. people need to use good judgement and decide if their flooring is safe. Obviously don't squat heavy on an uneven floor, but for lighter weight accessory lifts most of them can be done almost anywhere on any kinda surface.
    Then if he asks about perfectly level surfaces your answer would suffice. He was asking about a surface that he deemed sloped. You advice him it's okay to lift heavy on uneven surface since you do.

First you reply...
    my strength and conditioning gym floor is totally uneven and we all lift heavy and work hard, and we're fine.

Then you reply...
    Obviously don't squat heavy on an uneven floor, but for lighter weight accessory lifts most of them can be done almost anywhere on any kinda surface.

So which is it?

You lift heavy and it's fine?

Or don't squat heavy and do light acessories?

And your advice to him is stay out of the gym dont touch a weight , omg run away danger danger. Go hide in the bedroom and peek out the curtains because the world is full of danger? i just read your other comments, its ok i get it. the world is a dangerous scary place. You can hide and tell everyone else to hide from the scary uneven floor dont touch that weight because you saw someone else get hurt. He asked for feedback, he got your opinion and he got mine and he got others. Let him make his own decision

Actually it's the advice of many lifters and coaches that are well respected in the powerlifting community as well as doctors I know of that are well versed on lifting that deal with these type of questions on a regular basis. I'm not throwing random advice to see what sticks to the wall by any means.

Previously, I agreed that floor leveler as well as a properly shimmed platform would be a good idea. Just because your two answers contradict each other, doesn't morph my comments into...

"hide in a bedroom" or "don't touch weights".

Don't put words in my mouth. Heavy weights should be respected & lifting on a surface that is considered "uphill" isn't something that considered normal lifting conditions by anybody who cares about safety of others. If that is leaning on the safe side, so be it.

how did you twist around the OP doing SL on an ever so slight slope in her garage into her power lifting dangerously heavy weights on an uphill ?

I never said she should powerlift, hide in a bedroom, or never touch weights. Once again you find the need to put words in my mouth.
    You've might want to reread instead of making things up. Your embarrassing yourself, just stop and stick to topic.

SL's program does incorporate all the three lifts powerlifter's perform, therefore their coach's and lifters do have some merit on the safety of those lifts. Their advice is relative if you agree or not.

"Uphill" was a descriptor the OP used, hence the quotes.

Also, still waiting on which of your two totally conflicting answers you advice instead of your typical smoke and mirrors sling.