reading while at the gym, really?

Replies

• mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    I say do whatever it takes to get up, get moving ,and stay motivated.. If it requires a book,tablet, newspaper, playing angry birds, or whatever else then go for it!!Theres alot of people who can't find the motivation to get up and go period!!!
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    I got all hardcore for a while a few years back and would only play my playstation if i rode my stationary. I figured if i was going to play it I might as well make it exercise time as well. but, I couldnt manage to do both at the same time very well at all.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    most gyms come equipped with televisions connected to the treadmills... i like it... keeps my mind off what I am doing and the time flies by. I would use a tablet if it had my exercises on it or I used it to log in what I do such as weight and reps and sets. No biggie, to each his own.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Easy cardio was boring as heck, until I brought a book. I can't go all out everyday, and I have better hard training days, i.e. lifting or HIIT, when I alternate them with easy cardio days. I wouldn't read on a treadmill though. I do it on the recumbent bike. I think of it as adding light exercise to the reading that I would be doing anyway.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Where else are you going to catch up on the new Prince?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

If I concentrate on what I'm doing on cardio time moves so slowly, and I feel like I couldn't possibly go another xx minutes. With a kindle, I'm distracted, and time moves by much faster. I couldn't read a regular book because I don't break bindings, and the type is too small to see that far from my face. And I'd never read while lifting.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    I read my Nook every time on on the treadmill, eliptical or arc trainer. My heart rate is up and I'm getting a pretty damn good workout. I'm not sure why you think that there needs to be a lot of concentration to get a good workout in. If you feel I'm not supposed to read, what do you think I should do when I'm on there for a half hour. Watch one of the TV's? Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Should I be counting or something? I don't understand what I'm supposed to be concentrating on.

When I'm lifting, obviously I put the Nook down. So far, I'm pretty successful at my weight loss and toning up. :flowerforyou:
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    I usually finish my workout with 20-30 minutes of cardio. I lift for about 60 minutes before that. So, by the time I get to the cardio, the meat of my workout is behind me. I do the cardio because I have time for it and I like the calorie burn. It's not super intense (level 7 on stair master) but I am dripping sweat by the time I'm done.
    I keep movies on my phone and watch them during cardio. It passes the time and keeps me on the machine when I might otherwise say "screw this boring stuff." Sure, If I was going full out, I probably couldn't watch the movie. But, going full out at that point isn't what I need for my goals.
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    I've done it while doing cardio on stationary machines. It helps get me through. I listen to audiobooks as well or watch Hulu. There's not that much to focus on, your body just kinda takes over. I can move my limbs, keep track of my heart rate, and enjoy a good book or show at the same time.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If the entirety of my workout is going to be the elliptical, I may bring my Kindle. If I'm weight training or running, then no. Especially running, reading and running would give me vertigo.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Everyone's goals are different, maybe for them, ANY physical activity is an improvement. Personally, I can't read while on a treadmill or bike, but I really don't care if others do.
  • norahwynn
    I always see that I think it is weak when I run or bike or do work out number one exercise is a brain game you have to be focus on what you are doing other wise you give up when you exercise if you are serious about it that is all you should do as far as watching tv I can see because you don't watch it the whole time I get that but reading I don't think so

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with what you're talking about, but it sure would make more of an impact if you used periods, commas's and the like.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    If I plan to park my *kitten* on a stationary bike at the gym, I will definitely bring my Kindle.

Running, no, I could never read while running. Walking would not be a problem, though--I've used the Kindle on an elliptical. It's actually a nice challenge to work to keep your head at about the same level. I like to think of it as my Steven Seagal training. Have you ever noticed how when he runs, his eyes are totally steady?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I read my tablet while walking on the treadmill, it passes the time nicely and I kill two birds with one stone -- I get some health benefits and I get some alone time/entertainment. It's brilliant! I never in a million years thought someone would judge me for that :ohwell: Personally, I pay no attention to what anyone else is doing at the gym.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I can read while still bookin' it pretty fast on an exercise bike. I have too much spring in my step to read on a treadmill, even walking. :happy:
  • markovicj
    markovicj Posts: 10 Member
    I usually run outdoors, but sometimes have to use the treadmill because of needing to be home with the kids.

I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon of some of my sessions are > an hour. I DEFINITELY use reading (e.g. magazine) as a distraction, especially since we don't have a TV where the treadmill is.

For my speed work, I read a bit during the recovery phases.
    For tempo runs, I'll read a paragraph of an article, then focus on running.

I promise you, I'm working hard and probably couldn't get through the workout without it!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    That's like asking why do people wear winter hats, and sleeveless shirts?
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Don't you think you'd get better results focusing on your workout, instead of judging what everyone else is doing?
  • norahwynn
    Here's an idea, take the hour you spend at the gym plodding away on the ellitical/treadmill and reading and cut it in half. Spend half an hour reading intently and half an hour exercising intensely just as an experiment to see how it feels. You'll probably get more out of both. Multi-tasking is actually a myth, you may think you're doing two things at one but what is actually happening is that you are flicking back and forth between the two and doing both poorly.

Especially to those people who say that they read to distract themselves, why not opt for a shorter more intense workout (obviously tailored to your fitness level). Just give it a go - you might even enjoy it. If you need a distraction music is proven to enhance your workout.

Why do you feel that you should tell me how I should be working out? This is amazing! I'm guarantee that there is someone that works out harder, longer and faster than you. I doubt you'd be too happy if they told you "Why don't you do it like I do it. You're not working out hard enough!!"

We are all different. I'm never going to walk over to someone on the treadmill and tell them "Hey, you know I'm over here doing 5.5 mph with a 3% incline. You're only doing 3 mph? No incline?? You need to crank it up!!"

When I'm on the treadmill or eliptical, I'm not plodding away. And it's really weird that anyone would think I am. My workout is NOT your workout. No need to judge.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    While I am on my treadmill I sometimes read or have my tablet on the board watching Nexflix. It makes the time go faster and takes my mind of my speed, incline, etc. I say to each his own....mine works for me and I do get in a good walk...trust me I sweat! Now, when I am doing other workouts I don't do these things only on the treadmill.