reading while at the gym, really?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Some people cannot apparently walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh my gawd! I had to ride a stationary bike for about two months during recovery from surgery. I could not have done it without a book. So boring.
  • jklopezfamily
    jklopezfamily Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I workout with my kindle...it keeps me motivated_i use the app playtube and "watch tv"
  • casslamp
    casslamp Posts: 1
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill at an incline of 10 at a pace of around 4. I read all my books on my tablet and find that if I read while doing this I go for longer and don't get bored. I am working my rear off (literally, 10lb down so far in my first month) and enjoying my time while I do it. Cardio has always been hardest for me when starting an exercise routine and I rarely stuck with it. Now that I am fulfilling my cardio this way and using it as more of a "me time" I have had the best results I have had in years. I do not read while doing strength training, because I do think you need to keep your mind focused to get results.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of reading or tablets while running....but all my gym machines have tv anyway
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    3nzd.jpg

Indoors cycling bores the hell out of me. Necessity is the mother of invention.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I take my Kindle or smartphone Netflix app to the stationary bikes on cardio days. I just like to turn my body on autopilot and get a good workout in while I escape the mind-numbingly boring task for an hour or so.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You started it.... I said listening to music is WORSE than reading at the gym. I never have had a book reader cause damage because he was reading sooooo loud that he could not hear the surrounding environment. Do the book readers keep reading when they exit the machine ? Do you see them turning into people moving past them in the isle. Can you say the same about the maxed out earphones. Huh,,, What ... Sorry I did'nt know you were there. Never heard me at all did you. Nope. Just wasting my time speaking to you.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I wear headphone the whole time, ive yet to talk into anyone cause i watch were im going. the people that bump into things and walk into things probably will do it with or with out headphones
    You started it.... I said listening to music is WORSE than reading at the gym. I never have had a book reader cause damage because he was reading sooooo loud that he could not hear the surrounding environment. Do the book readers keep reading when they exit the machine ? Do you see them turning into people moving past them in the isle. Can you say the same about the maxed out earphones. Huh,,, What ... Sorry I did'nt know you were there. Never heard me at all did you. Nope. Just wasting my time speaking to you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    This is the most ignorant and uncultured comment I've ever read on here.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blushing:
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    On strictly cardio days I bring my Ipod and watch my tv shows (only time I ever let myself watch my own shows) otherwise it's cartoons at home for the kids. It keeps my mind focused and the time just flys by instead of watching the clock. II just switch it to music when I'm jogging otherwise I can't focus on my breathing or form.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think I need a tablet now. Going to the gym sometimes is soooooooo boring. I don't need to think about how bored I am to get the results I want. Many times I'm just there to get moving and off my butt and I'm glad to see I am not alone in this.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    684.jpg

Just kidding. Honestly, if someone else wants to read while they're at the gym, I don't think much about it. I like to really focus on my workout (partly because I'm clumsy), so I think reading a book or a tablet or what-have-you would just be too much of a distraction.

Never mind that I probably don't have the coordination to use a piece of cardio equipment and read at the same time, anyway.