Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Do you suppose she's the one who flagged all of the posts that called her on her bullshite??

As for the current argument, moon pies suck and cake is wonderful (unless it's carrot cake, and then it sucks :smile: ).

Yeah, moon pies, suck, the pastry equivalent of roller foods.

I've never heard the term, "roller food?"

Roller grill food may be the term you've heard. Typically found at convenience stores and truck stops.

l17k30rlwpae.png

The food sits on the rollers which are heated and turn the food slowly to cook/keep it warm it.

Yummy! Corn dog please

I'd have to be in sprinting distance of a toilet for 2 days after eating roller grill food.

That sucks.

No loss not eating roller grill food.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Do you suppose she's the one who flagged all of the posts that called her on her bullshite??

As for the current argument, moon pies suck and cake is wonderful (unless it's carrot cake, and then it sucks :smile: ).

Yeah, moon pies, suck, the pastry equivalent of roller foods.

I've never heard the term, "roller food?"

Roller grill food may be the term you've heard. Typically found at convenience stores and truck stops.

l17k30rlwpae.png

The food sits on the rollers which are heated and turn the food slowly to cook/keep it warm it.

Yummy! Corn dog please

I'd have to be in sprinting distance of a toilet for 2 days after eating roller grill food.

That sucks.

No loss not eating roller grill food.

Coolies.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

But still food...........

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

I've never had a moon pie.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?

Luna di Luna wine and Blue Moon beer.

I assume the post office misplaced my invitation. :disappointed:

There is still the housewarming coming up in a few weeks.

That would be fun. My passport is current, it may take me a while to drive there. Are Canadians allowed across the wall/border? :laugh:

ZOMG no Canadians.

Ok, we're done discussing cake. Lets discuss the brutality and viciousness of Canandians

yup we are brutally polite most of the time...well some Canadians are.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?

That would be fun. My passport is current, it may take me a while to drive there. Are Canadians allowed across the wall/border? :laugh:

ZOMG no Canadians.

Ok, we're done discussing cake. Lets discuss the brutality and viciousness of Canandians

But are you cake pushers?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Butter tarts, I think, at least in Ontario.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Butter tarts, I think, at least in Ontario.

Omg I love butter tarts. Oat cakes are a big thing here but sadly they are not cakes
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Only if we haven't yet tried the goodness from our west coast that is the Nanaimo bar...

9c1f2bc3-4c8a-4639-951b-5077e790b0d9_ultimate-nanaimo-bar_WebReady.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

In other words: no, you can't name a human culture that doesn't share food in times of celebration.

Pretty sure there's not just one Chinese culture too. I'm surprised and disappointed someone with an anthropology background would suggest such a thing.

True that. There isn't even one language.
  • singingflutelady

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Only if we haven't yet tried the goodness from our west coast that is the Nanaimo bar...

Omg drooling love these so much.
  • VintageFeline

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Canadians get their politeness from colonisation by us Brits. Though I'm Scottish, we're a bit less polite. But friendly. And we will definitely force feed you all sorts. Shortbread being a good one. Clooty dumpling another. Or a childhood favourite of mine, Snowballs (not to be confused with either the drink or the Tunnocks version). I miss Snowballs (I live London now, those few hundred miles make all the difference).
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

OK, cake I can live without, but if someone showed up in my cube with one of these.....
    I'd take the whole tray.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

In other words: no, you can't name a human culture that doesn't share food in times of celebration.

Pretty sure there's not just one Chinese culture too. I'm surprised and disappointed someone with an anthropology background would suggest such a thing.

Well, yeah, but - "I didn't want to go there..."
  • singingflutelady
    I guess I'm truly Canadian as I had a Nanaimo bar beaver tail this summer
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited September 2017

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

And I was just posting this as @estherdragonbat posted. ......

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

If I tie some on my head in a waterproof bag, swim the Juan de Fuca Strait, hike the Olympic Mountains, then trek across country, can I come to the party too?

(Half English, half Scot, living in Canada=
    Gentle demenor, brutally honest, with viscous tongue when needed)

Cheers, h.

@VintageFeline, just back from Edinburgh and the borders. I know the 2 alternate snowballs, had a Tunnocks for old times sake, what is the 3rd you speak of?
    A friend needs to know. h
  • VintageFeline
    edited September 2017

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

If I tie some on my head in a waterproof bag, swim the Juan de Fuca Strait, hike the Olympic Mountains, then trek across country, can I come to the party too?

Cheers, h.

@VintageFeline, just back from Edinburgh and the borders. I know the 2 alternate snowballs, had a Tunnocks for old times sake, what is the 3rd you speak of?

They're a cake. A really really delicious cake. This link is a good description, I did not know M&S did them, even for a while (this blog is dated 2013, I shall still look next time I'm in one just in case though!).

http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/01/4-scottish-snowballs-marks-specncer-by.html
  • VintageFeline

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Canadians get their politeness from colonisation by us Brits. Though I'm Scottish, we're a bit less polite. But friendly. And we will definitely force feed you all sorts. Shortbread being a good one. Clooty dumpling another. Or a childhood favourite of mine, Snowballs (not to be confused with either the drink or the Tunnocks version). I miss Snowballs (I live London now, those few hundred miles make all the difference).

Original Scottish shortbread is thought to have been made with oat flour, which can be gluten free.

I make some for myself every Christmas. It's delightful.

Makes sense. We are fond of an oat.

That Canadian treat has reminded me of millionaire's shortbread. 'Scuse me while I drool.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

Cheers, h.

They're a cake. A really really delicious cake. This link is a good description, I did not know M&S did them, even for a while (this blog is dated 2013, I shall still look next time I'm in one just in case though!).

http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/01/4-scottish-snowballs-marks-specncer-by.html

They look delicious! Pity I just had my birthday- Christmas is just around the corner- hooray- I will make one as a change from a Pavlova.
    (Serious desert lover if you haven't guessed) I will have to make snowballs, the drink, to go with it.

Cheers, h.
This discussion has been closed.