Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

Maybe it just comes up a lot since this is a diet and fitness site?

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Were you here for the ten pages of debate where we beat to death the notion that people actually eat cake on a daily basis?
    Clif's notes: It's hard to pin weight problems on "cake culture" when people only eat cake a few times per year.

If you think about cake, talk about cake, and post pics of cake every day, but only eat it a few times a year, are you actually part of some underground cake subculture? Any anthropologists available to clarify that?

Yesterday is not every day. I neither think nor talk about cake every day or even most days.
    I'm not sure I've ever posted a picture of cake...except the meat cake I served my dog for his birthday...put that one on the internet (it had peanut butter for icing and he sat nicely waiting while we sang to him).

Not directed toward you specifically, just ponderings about the cake-thinking culture in general
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This has just got me to thinking about when I last actually had a full slice of cake. I had crumble and custard last week if that counts? But actual cake? Honestly can't remember!

I think the cake heavy chat was precipitated by someone being very evangelically against cake in the workplace. I think they were also the first ones to post pictures of cake.

Shrug. Just a bit of fun innit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can't even remember the last time I had real cake (this doesn't count protein cheesecake). I think it was maybe two Thanksgivings ago? I made a cheesecake? Maybe? My memory isn't always the best. Cake just doesn't factor into my life that much.

Not near as much as trying to get a rise out of people using straw men by the two of you does, apparently.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Were you here for the ten pages of debate where we beat to death the notion that people actually eat cake on a daily basis?
    Clif's notes: It's hard to pin weight problems on "cake culture" when people only eat cake a few times per year.

People sure love posting pictures of what they eat a few times a year.

Where are all these cake pictures?
    But sure, I posted lots of pictures of my trip to Hawaii last year (not here) even though I don't plan on going back for several more years.
    Liking something, posting pictures of something...doesn't mean it's a regular indulgence.
    I share pictures of sweet vehicles with people but I don't buy them very often (been ten years since I last bought a vehicle).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

If you think about cake, talk about cake, and post pics of cake every day, but only eat it a few times a year, are you actually part of some underground cake subculture? Any anthropologists available to clarify that?

Yesterday is not every day. I neither think nor talk about cake every day or even most days.
    I'm not sure I've ever posted a picture of cake...except the meat cake I served my dog for his birthday...put that one on the internet (it had peanut butter for icing and he sat nicely waiting while we sang to him).

Not directed toward you specifically, just ponderings about the cake-thinking culture in general

But who posts daily (or even weekly) pictures of cake? I'm not friends with anyone like that.
    Maybe a professional cake decorator posts daily pictures of their creations?
    Otherwise...I don't know how realistic it is to ponder on what daily cake talk says about our culture if there is no daily cake talk...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I can't even remember the last time I had real cake (this doesn't count protein cheesecake). I think it was maybe two Thanksgivings ago? I made a cheesecake? Maybe? My memory isn't always the best. Cake just doesn't factor into my life that much.

Not near as much as trying to get a rise out of people using straw men by the two of you does, apparently.

Had one bite of Cheesecake last week. I had already planned my food day and didn't want to give anything up but a friend we were visiting makes a great Cheesecake so I tried a bit. Before that, I think my last piece of cake was at my nieces wedding a year ago last May. I'm not a big sweets eater but I had to jump in here for the food demonizing and shaming on general principles.

Now, if someone want to start ice cream shaming, we gonna have a little problem here......
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

But who posts daily (or even weekly) pictures of cake? I'm not friends with anyone like that.
    Maybe a professional cake decorator posts daily pictures of their creations?
    Otherwise...I don't know how realistic it is to ponder on what daily cake talk says about our culture if there is no daily cake talk...

Some of my buddies and I post up weekly pictures of what we have on our grill. Quite possibly those "cake people" <shudder, cake, bleech> post up, but you're not in their "society".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I admit I'm thinking about cake right now, but that's because I just slid a honey-apple cake into the oven for the Jewish New Year. P.S. It's only 140 calories per serving (1/12th of an 8x8 pan). See... I do bake every week, but my goal is to find desserts that come in at under 200 calories/serving and don't taste like I just spread sugar-free jam on a rice cake. (No offense to those of you for whom that's a favorite treat. It's not one of mine.)
This discussion has been closed.